1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 disc read error / problem

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by Noobieboobie69, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Noobieboobie69

Noobieboobie69 Newbie

I bought this Xbox with a broken drive with plans to fix it. I replaced the drive and I'm still getting the same problem. Anyone ever see this or know what the problem is?

youtu.be/dpqjo48It3o

2. richietea

richietea Regular member

When you say you replaced the drive did you spoof the broken drive key over to the new drive or remove the pcb out of the old one and place in the new drive?.Is the new drive exactly the same? If you let us know what drive you have and the process you went through it might shed some clarity on your problem.Do you get the dirty disk error only or play dvd error as well.Play dvd errors usually refer to the wrong drive key/mismatched key.What was wrong the the drive in the first place?

3. Noobieboobie69

Noobieboobie69 Newbie

Yeah it's an identical benq drive. I detached both ribbons and resoddered the wires in the correct order in the new drive and redid the ribbons. When I got it the problem was it wouldn't read the disks. So I opened it and the main laser ribbon was detached. So I reattached it and then I got the same error as I'm getting now. It'll just spin fast like that after I put any disc in and won't stop until I actually press the eject button. It's just confusing because that drive was new. Could the chip just be bad?

4. richietea

richietea Regular member

Do you hear the laser running and trying to run a disk?

5. Noobieboobie69

Noobieboobie69 Newbie

It's hard to anything but the disc spinning so fast. There's a video at the top you can watch. The tray is so loud it ridiculous. Then it'll just spit it out still spinning 1500 RPMS haha

6. ps355528

ps355528 Regular member

Pamdora's extreme electronics 101 (listen carefully I shall say this only once)..

Obviously the fault with the original drive is on the board.. so the easy and simple solution is to spoof your key over to the new board and put that in the drive.. with the new ribbon, because the fault is either on the board or possibly the ribbon.. which have you changed.. one or both?

7. richietea

richietea Regular member

As ps355528 said but you have not mentioned if you extracted your key.Have you hooked the new drive with the old pcb to jungleflasher to see what comes up?Are you running stock firmware.If the pcb shows up it might be your soldering or bent ribbon to the laser.Make sure you haven't bridged any connections with your soldering.Leave the console open topped and leave the dvd drive open as well with a spare magnet to run the discs also check the dvd sata to xbox connector.You will get a clear indication as to what the laser activity is doing while spinning.

8. Noobieboobie69

Noobieboobie69 Newbie

I thought I didn't need to flash it once I moved the board? I just moved the board to the new drive so it would work with the new drive.

9. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

It would have been way easier to flash the key to the new drive.

10. peluynati

peluynati Regular member

if the disc is spinning radically and making noise the laser is either no good or out of adjustment, try doing that, which is what you should have done in the first place, replacing the problem would have saved you money and time and this thread would have not been necessary!