1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox 360 drive question

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by guessswho, Aug 31, 2007.

1. guessswho

guessswho Regular member

So i have my 360 flashed, I have the samsung drive. The drive when I put any game in, either a backup or original, just makes grinding noises. I know it's not grinding the dvd, I would recognize that sound, but like some pieces of the hardware of the drives is actually grinding when it tries to read the drive. I am pretty sure it seems like my 360 is going to die on me, and I am know when it does, I am going to get another 360. My next question, I have been looking at the following site( http://360drives.com/list ) to try to understand which drive is in a 360 box before I buy it and open it. Here is my question, it is obviously making me look like a newb, sorry but I need to know:

From looking at that website, how can I use that information to determine what drive is inside the 360 from looking at the outside of the box? That is what that site is used for correct? I really just don't understand how to use the information. I think from searching it has to do with the lot number, but any clarity would really help. Sorry about the dumb question, and I really appreciate the help guys. Thanks!

2. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Well instead of buying a new xbox why dont you just replace the dvd drive. 50 bucks is alot cheaper than 250-350.

3. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Yeah just buy another drive off ebay and flash it with you current drive's firmware. That's what I would do. If you have to use that list, sort it by lot number and check what lot number has what drive. Then check the lot numbers on the boxes in the store.

4. guessswho

guessswho Regular member

thanks for the help. I had to get someone else to flash my drive, because I really wasn't sure on the process, and I had read that unless you really know what you are doing, to probably get someone else to do it. So i was assuming that the process of taking the drive out and installing the new one, plus reflashing it was going to be just as complicated, if not more. Being the reason why i was looking at a new xbox altogether.

5. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Well if you do decide you want to buy a new one and want to sell your old one im interested.