1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox 360 dual dvd drives

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by ckellyok, Sep 2, 2007.

1. ckellyok

ckellyok Member

Which part do microsoft detect. Is it the firmware on the dvd drive, if it is so then why can't a xbox360 be moddified to have an external dvd drive for playing backups with modded firmware and leave the internal drive alone to play originals on xbox live. Could Micosoft still detect the modded dvd drive even though it is not in use at the time of being online.

2. budro

budro Regular member

the day you can get an external drive to work with a 360, let us all know, cuz that would be like a godsend lol

3. ckellyok

ckellyok Member

In theory it should be possible to split the sata cable and the power cable and put in a switch to divert to whatever drive is needed

4. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

if you split the cables correctly, this should be entirely possible - you would just have to swap the drives when the xBox is off - I doubt it is hot-swappable

5. ckellyok

ckellyok Member

I have a spare dvd drive with the 0800 firmware on it and i can swap the drives no problem. But the point of this thread was if i swapped the drives 1 that hasn't been modded and the other that has could microsoft detect that i am swapping the drives (Except in the case of me playing a game that has not yet been released in my country).

6. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

if the modded drive is active, then I'm sure they can detect it. If you deactivate it and activate the unmodded drive, I'm sure they'll see it as a normal system ... can't gaurantee anything, and I'm not one for pirating games "legally" as people say through backup or illegally through downloading or backup, but the idea of swapping the drives is interesting

7. budro

budro Regular member

a few questions though: have you done it and will you be willing to try it. and, can a Kreon drive be used as the ex drive, or would a 360 drive be needed?

8. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

Never done it, never will ... as I said before, the idea is interesting ... thats all i got for ya ... you could be the first person to do it and test it - check it out and see how it goes!

9. ckellyok

ckellyok Member

I have already started to work out how to build a switch type system. I could build one from scratch but i am looking around for a system that could be ripped from some other common device that could be possibly compatible. 12 pins for power and 7 for sata. This is going to take time but will not quit. When i finaly do it i shall try and post an image on here and instructions.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

10. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

Sounds good ... you can do a rudimentary setup with some simple mechanical (not digital/electronic) switches from Radio Shack ... unless you know electronics & soldering and can make something on a board to do all the switching ... put all the wires into a box from the xBox, split each wire to a switch, one for drive 1, one for drive 2, then run the wires from each switch to the appropriate place on the drives ... you have to make sure you do the switches correctly, and make sure you flip them on/off as needed ... but this is one way ... don't know how regular switches would affect data transfer

11. batespcm

batespcm Guest

SOUNDS LIKE A FASCINATING PROJECT

12. ckellyok

ckellyok Member

I have been looking at serveral switches and ther all require quite a bit of soldering. Then i had the idea of simply just switching plugs. Easy.......

13. budro

budro Regular member

if you try this, post results and a how to. very interesting idea... if you can some how make it convenient too