1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Elite Flashing

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by kayum, Nov 8, 2007.

1. kayum

kayum Member

i have recently heard that you can flash the elite and play backup games on it. is this true? if it true how reliable is it?

2. kayum

kayum Member

anyone?

3. barricade

barricade Guest

4. kayum

kayum Member

i am completely new to this, should i do it myself or get it flashed professionaly?

5. barricade

barricade Guest

It really isn't very difficult. I have never flashed a console before I tried mine but all you do is open up the xbox and connect the dvd drive to your computer with a sata cable. It was easy for me because the chipset on my motherboard was supported ( nforce 4 ). I flashed it in windows not in dos and it worked perfectly. The readme for dosflash explains it step by step. What kind of motherboard do you have?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2007
  6. kayum

kayum Member

my motherboard is i think 3years old

7. kayum

kayum Member

can you tell me everything i will need to flash the benq drive?

8. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

I have a pc set up just for flashing and I use a 3 year old MSI board with a NForce 2 chipset. So it doesn't matter how old your board is... just as long as you have the right chipset. And even if you don't you could just pick up a pci sata card.

Here's a guide for the Benq: http://www.zshare.net/download/45829924e78175/

9. kayum

kayum Member

how do you know if you got the right chipset?

10. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Just look at it. It'll be to the right of your PCI slots.

[​IMG]

I've got an NForce 2 in my flashing pc. Or if you're still not sure, Google the model number of your motherboard. You want to know the southbridge chipset.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  11. kayum

kayum Member

should i flash the firmware now or wait for a updated version?

12. mshockey

mshockey Member

Hey guys, I have an annoying problem right now trying to flash a new Benq, but first I will try to answer the already asked questions. If you're confused about your motherboard you can just buy a VIA 6421 card....available from newegg.com....and use it to flash your drive. All you have to do is install the card and connect it to the back of your Benq drive....then just follow one of the flashing tutorials. It has always worked for me. Right now though, I am trying to flash a Benq and having a problem. The steps I have so far are....

I have created a boot usb drive using HP USB Disk storage format with Win98boot. I then transfered the files from my dosflash16 folder (not the folder itself) to the boot disk....so I now have two files on the boot disk....dosflash and dosflash.typ. I have unplugged all my sata and ata ports and disable all the devices in my BIOS and made my usb flash drive the #1 boot source. I then reboot the computer and it takes me to the Windows 98 DOS boot screen. My prompt reads:
    C:\>DosFlash r D860 1 a0 1 4 a:\orig.bin 0
    The D860 is my I/0 correct number from msinfo32
    It then gives me the line to put (y/n) and I hit y then enter
    It pulls up the 0x7F and I turn the xbox on for 5 sec, then off for 5 sec, then on again. It goes through the 0x51 and 0xD1 and ends on 0x73. Then I get a message saying "General failure to read drive A."
    It gives me the option to "Abort, Retry, Fail." Has anyhow seen the before. It generally means that the drive is not formatted properly but I don't know how to fix it. Any help would be much appreciated and I will keep posting all my progress to help others.

Cheers

13. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Change your a to c.

14. mshockey

mshockey Member

Thanks man....we figured that out about midnight last night....I guess it's a pretty obvious mistake....but I'm not just real good at this stuff. We finally got the system done and working great. We did it the first time with the quiet file....turned out to be quite a bit slower than we thought it would be....changed it to the fast file and reflashed it and I think it is much better. Both worked fine though. I will be doing another system in the next few days and making a video tut while doing it. Any ideas where I should post it for others to use?

15. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Didn't you happen to see the latest release for the Benq? It's iXtreme multispeed. You can set your drive at 2x, 4x, 8x, or 12x. I've used 8x and it's real quiet and loads fast.

16. kayum

kayum Member

i just found out that my Elite has got a hitachi drive not a Benq one which i thought it was, is this still flashable?

17. clipper41

clipper41 Guest

which version is it? all of them are flashable but if its a 79fk you will need to do some sodering

18. kayum

kayum Member

how do you find out what model it is?

19. Bo0nd0ck

Bo0nd0ck Member

I may be crazy but the only flashing guides I see stickied are for hitachis, im trying to find one for the samsung models..

20. HoneyBuns

HoneyBuns Guest

You can determine what version Hitachi drive you have simply by looking at the sticker. Your ROM version will matter in this tutorial. ROM version 46/47/59 drives will all have the same instructions. ROM 0078FK drives can only use the Slax method to get into ModeB, and must use a different method when flashing the drive. Currently the only unhackable Hitachi drive at this moment is a drive with ROM v. 0079FK. Technically, the 0079FK drive can also be flashed, but you would need to desolder the firmware chip and program it externally. This is beyond the skillset of most people. [​IMG]