1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Elite Question

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by KuruptJ, Jan 7, 2008.

1. KuruptJ

KuruptJ Member

I'm thinking about buying an Elite & I was debating whether or not 2 get a warranty on it so I was wondering has anyone had any problems with the elite like the original 360?

2. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

If you're picking up a new Elite now, you'll be fine. There was one or two at it's initial launch which had problems. But those didn't have the new heat sinks.

Actually, I haven't seen news about any of the sku's with the new motherboards having problems. Except for a few boobs who use their consoles in a sealed stereo cabnet with other components running.

3. NserUame

NserUame Regular member

I picked up a second 360 back in Late November. I was quite surprised to find out that they have HDMI inputs now. I'm hopeful that seeing as how they've had a slight overhaul that perhaps they've finally shipped improved consoles. Seeing as how this console will be used to play originals I don't really dare open it up to check it out. Because realistically it'll need to be repaired at some point...it is an xbox.

What I'm trying to get at I guess is why get an elite now? Perhaps I'm missing some features but I thought the only think the Elite had above the other consoles was a larger hard drive and HDMI inputs. Seeing as how the new consoles all have HDMI you're really paying a lot of extra money for a larger hard drive. I bet you could find a USB 2.0 HD for a lot cheaper than an Elite, or even stream media from your PC to the console.

Unless you plan on downloading a lot of TV episodes (they're rather pricey) or ripping music onto your hard drive I think it'd be cheaper for you to get a Premium. Just my two cents though.

4. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

I got an Elite. For a $100 difference it was worth it to me. It's all in preference and how you view your purchase as what's included and what you'll actually use. It was cheaper than a Premium for these reasons.

Black case - $40~$70 w/shipping - The black looks a lot better and goes with my other components. I had a black XMC case for my Premium. They're crap, made from cheap plastic. The first time I took off the faceplate, a couple tabs broke off.

HDMI cable - $30~$50 - MS gives you a nice heavy cable. Not some cheap $10 cable from some outlet store.

Audio dongle - Haven't seen this for sale separately. Need it if you want 5.1 and your receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs. A lot neater/cleaner than tearing apart a component cable.

Just between the case, audio, and HDMI cable, I would have spent more than $100. And that's not even including the hdd. If I wanted to, I could have sold the 120 gb, kept my 20 gb, and made money.

Once again, these are just MY reasons for justifing an Elite purchase.

5. NserUame

NserUame Regular member

Alright I see your reason, didn't mean to invoke an argument or anything. Just thought I'd throw it out there, I forgot they dropped the Elite price. I thought they were still around $500.

6. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

No no... I wasn't disagreeing with you or trying to argue at all. I was just offering my opinion for KuruptJ. Everything you said is also correct. If he's not going to use the extra options, then it would just be a waste of money.

7. KuruptJ

KuruptJ Member

Thx everyone for your input. I was beginning 2 think no one would answer at first. :) I'm gonna get my elite 2morrow hopefully.

8. BartHelps

BartHelps Guest

Wal Mart has their 2 year additional warranty for $28, I got it because it was pretty cheap. Or you can just pay with a credit card that doubles your warranty and then you can get the option to buy an extended warranty through the credit card for cheaper.

9. KuruptJ

KuruptJ Member

Oh Ok. Thx BartHelps that's a good idea.