1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX 360 Game burning issues with new samsung drive

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Sephcat, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Sephcat

Sephcat Member

hi guys, i am fairly new to this board but i have been lurking for some time. I have learned that there are lots of very experienced and knowledgeable users here regarding game backups.

Recently I purchase a new samsung drive, TS-H653B, I believe this is the chinese tag and actually the US tag for the drive is a SH-. Its one of the latest models and can do 16x+R DL, mines has a production date of august 2007. also uses sata.

Here is my issue, recently my pioneer DVR-111 broke on me, and during its successful operation i had no problem burning backups of 360 games. My media, ANV 2.4X DVD+R DL worked great, no coasters at all. Used imgburn latest ver.

However, it seems with this new samsung drive I have found it almost impossible to burn with. I will explain in summery what i have tried to get it to work.

1.First i just tried popping in DVD+R DL and trying to burn, it would burn no problem but when i go to play it in my xbox 360 it would say the disk is dirty and needs to be clean. Obviously a coaster.

2. Tried different media, i believe its kodak media, 8x DVD+R DL also got coasters.

3. After enough coasters I checked online and realized that the DVR-111 automatically sets book type, and therefore I needed to change book type in my new drive to dvd-rom.

4. i tried changing book type in imgburn, however after changing book type both the first and second paragraph data pages on the right still said DVD+R DL even though it posted a successful change.

5. Nero CD speed seemed to work in changing the book type. I burned the game at 4x using kodak 8x media. After burn i had cd-speed check the book type on the disk and it said dvd-rom. Tried to play, and of course dirty disk, and another coster.

6. seeking the professional knowledge of the after dawn form, many thanks in advance :)

other ideas yet to try:
    A) burn using ADV media, 2.4x dvd+R DL, using cd speed

B) regardless of the data posted in imgburn on the right after changing book type, still try to burn and see result.

As you can see i am really struggling here, i know most people recommend verbatim media, but it is very very expensive here in shanghai, (note: I am Caucasian from US, near jersey, work in shanghai now)Any ideas on why my Samsung drive is giving me a hard time would be great help as well as any ideas or things to try.

Thanks

2. Sephcat

Sephcat Member

Just want to update,

the other tag i mentioned earlier is SH-S203B

3. steimy

steimy Active member

My first suggestion would be to start using better quality media like Verbatim. That will help.

Secondly you can look here and see if your new burner has the latest firmware available.
    http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

It may just be that your old burner had better media compatibility then the new one (possibly due to firmware) and that the new one is just not doing well with those off brand media types.

Also check into the new burner to see if it can in fact booktype media. Booktyping is not really needed unless you have a Hitachi drive in your 360, but it surely helps with compatibility in all game consoles.

and the game you are burning now, is this a new game. Are you sure the files are good? Have you tried testing it by burning a copy of a game that you KNOW works?

4. adclax1

adclax1 Member

I am having a somewhat similar problem. My backups will play sometimes though then other times they say dirty disc or unplayable disc?
    i am using a sony drive. verbatim media and i use image burn to burn them

5. r4ekvall

r4ekvall Guest

I'm having the same exact problem. I try to back up the games and it says dirty disc error. I know I did everything correctly (set the booktype, burn at 2.4x, use verbatim dvd+r dl, check the .iso with mulleter before burning). The latest game I tried is Mass Effect and sometimes it loads to the BioWare screen and then the xbox says the disc is dirty and clean it. Sometimes it doesn't boot at all. I think my problem started after playing Assassin's Creed, when I booted that game it said I couldn't play it without updating (so I pressed ok) It did its thing and since then I haven't had any luck backing up my games. Although I can play all my older backups (some Memorex, some Verbatim media) I have read some things about pot calibration but I don't really want to mess with my 360. Any tips would be appreciated so much.

6. NewBart

NewBart Guest

I noticed if the original disk is scratched even slightly that this will cause my backup to be dirty disk or unreadable.

7. steimy

steimy Active member

It may just be something simple, like a firmware upgrade to your burner which can help with media compatibility.

Or burning them at a different speed like 4X which is what i have always used.

Only certain DVD burners can booktype the media, and it will help with compatibility. But unless you have a Hitachi drive in your 360 running older firmware it should really not be needed. I always use DVD-Rom but that is because my BenQ DW1655 has Qsuite which you set once and it will do all DVD+R and DVD+R DL booktyped as DVD-Rom.

8. mshockey

mshockey Member

Ok, I've been doing this for a while now (more than 300 burns) and never had a coaster or a disc that didn't work the first time....if you follow these rules it should work out for you. If you don't have these already just bite the $80 bullet and save yourself some frustration. Use the Samsung SH-D162C drive to burn the games to the computer. After the big M$ ban-hammer dropped in November I can't imagine downloading games is that popular. If you use xbox backup creator it won't even read a game fully if it is going to give you problems with a backup....ie, if there are any scratches or nitches in the disc it will simply freeze up. Just eject the disc, put it in a resurfacing machine, and try it again...that will work 98% of the time. Make sure your samsung drive is flashed with the newest Kreon version. They come that way if you buy them from most online auctions. Only use Verbatim DL media for you backups...buy them in bulk and you can get them for less than $2/disc. Get a Pioneer 112D to burn the games. All you have to do is install those 2 drives and download xbox backup creator from one of its many sources and you are ready to go. Nothing to do to the Pioneer...it should be set already. These drives are not the best on the market but if this is what you want to do then do not stray from them....they are proven to work. All in all with the burners, discs, rentals, and software you will spend $370 if you get 50 verbatim discs and rent from hastings ($4/game with early return) and you will have 50 new 360 games which would total $3,250 if you bought them new. That's only 12% of the game costs....then the next 50 games won't need any new hardware so you'll only be paying 8.5% of the total cost. PM me if you have any questions. Enjoy.

9. r4ekvall

r4ekvall Guest

what settings do you have on xbc? split vid? add filler to video? read speed? complete disc or current partition?

10. steimy

steimy Active member

personally i would say you do not want spli-vid and you want to read the whole disc, NOT the current partition.

as far as i know most people just leave the settings to what they are when they installed it (default settings) and go.

11. mshockey

mshockey Member

all you need to change with XBC is to change it to the full partition...everything else should come already set up for you.

12. r4ekvall

r4ekvall Guest

I haven't had any problems making backups since I got the samsung drive and the pioneer burner. i would recommend spending the money now to save it later to anyone who backs up their games.