1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Hitachi Mod

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Reapa360, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Reapa360

Reapa360 Member

hey all, I suppose you can consider me an ubernub when it comes to modding.. anything. My 360 has a Hitachi dvd drive in it.. thats all i know.
    I've read through seemingly billions of posts and other such articles, found a few very helpful tutorials and such, but I'm wondering what you guys (with hitachi dvd drives) did in particular - which tutorials in particular you followed, any problems you faced, etc. I'm gonna mod my 360 within a few days (once I get a SATA pci card :\ ).

I read a post about someone who was banned for not playing a "stealthed" game.. how do you stealth a game?! Lets say I have a game image backed up on my computer.. Do i just burn it as a DVD+DL with imgBurn, or is there something else I have to do to it before burning?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

I don't think it is hard at all,but I would highly suggest making a backup of your original firmware for a couple of reasons.I think maybe in the future a better hack will be available for one,and might need the original firmware for the drive.The other reason is to of course recover if you do mess up flashing the drive.Findng out what version drive you have isn't hard at all,but requires you to open up the system(unless someone posts the specific version from the lot # or by other means).The Stealth backups are actual images that are created with the security sectors extracted from the original game,and you will find other encryption is used to make them stealth as well.The reason people use stealth backups is to fool microsoft into thinking it is the original game,so they can actually get on xbox live or download content for the games etc...If the right encryption isn't used on the game image microsoft can ban you from using xbox live.It isn't hard to make a stealth backup at all,but it does require a specific drive with kreon firmware to make it stealth.If you need help backing up your XBox 360 games you can refer to this guide here if you can't find one http://www.mod-store.com.au/xbox_guide.php?xbox360_game_backup .I also like this guide which is on this site http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/424523 by persei8 which would help you out also.The rest you can probably find on your own,because it really isn't hard to do you just gotta search a little more and you will end up finding the rest of your answers.Flashing the drive really depends on what version of drive you have,but without knowing which version you have I don't think anyone can point you in the right direction.I mean it is a Hitachi drive,but they have a bunch of versions out for the Hitachi drive.The versions 78 and 79 use a different method than the lower version model numbers.

3. Reapa360

Reapa360 Member

how do i tell which hitachi version i have?

Is the kreon firmware absolutely required? What if my dvd burner isn't compatable with it?

4. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

The only way you can tell what version drive you have is to open up the console or by checking a site that will give you the version by looking at the lot # on your XBox 360 box.The best method is to actually open up the XBox 360 and look at the drive.Look at this site to get a better idea of what you should be looking for http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_360_DVD_Drive_Comparison.htm .The revision number is located on the actual drive,but isn't visible unless you open up the system.The kreon firmware is required to make stealth backups.To find out what drives are compatible with the kreon firmware you have to read the actual readme text file that comes with it.It can't be used with a dual layer burner,but was made for specific PC dvd-rom drives.The recommended drive for kreon firmware is the Samsung SH-D162C drive.After creating your stealth image you can use any dual layer burner you like,but the recommended dual layer burner is the Pioneer 111D drive from what I can tell by reading the success rate of other people.To use kreon firmware you must have the required drive though,and whatever you do make sure you don't flash the kreon firmware to your burner or you will mess it up.To actually burn your image you need to use a dual layer burner,and the best media to use is the Verbatim Dvd+R DL media.

5. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

Obviously you havent read too many threads....

6. Reapa360

Reapa360 Member

K i opened my 360 and found that my drive is a 78FK (is the 'fk' relevant?)

on another note, why is the pioneer burner recommended? you said any burner will work fine - does it just have a higher success rate for burning or something? I have a Benq DL burner (fairly new - has lightscribe so it cant be too old :])

I have a game, but I don't have the drive to read the disc with so I'm just downloading it via torrent - anyone else do this? In the torrent title it says the game name then "XBOX360-USA-DAGGER" - has anyone downloaded their stuff. basically i need to know if its stealthed. Is there any program that check the integrity of the image?

7. Reapa360

Reapa360 Member

a few more questions:

- would you suggest I use Firmware Toolbox 4.0 or ixtreme firmware?
    - do i need a mod chip? (from what I've read I don't need one. They seem to just make it easier to update and access the SATA port, some have an on off switch, which i suppose is convenient.)
    - Which Slax download should i choose? standard or boot cd or...??? I saw a video tutorial where a guy just used a 1k resistor to make the drive go to mode 2. Slax seems a bit safer than that..

8. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

The fk that follows the 78 isn't really relevant at all,but you now have the version of your drive.I would recommend getting a device such as the blaster 360 or xenium connectivity kit clone of blaster 360...they will give you the benefit of updating your firmwares.When you want to get into mode b which is required with 78 drives you can use Slax.Look for XBins by using google,and you should probably learn how to use mIRC a little bit.I can't give you full details about XBins,but that is where I get all my XBox 360 needs.You will need a decent connectivity kit,as it will play a big role in flashing your drive and may be needed more than once if you do plan to use updated flash firmwares.When it comes to downloading XBox 360 games I couldn't give you a straight answer,because I make my own images.I like to make my own images,because then I can tell what has been done to them.The Pioneer burner is just a really good burner,and I'm sure the one you have will work.I was just letting you know that I would recommend the Pioneer.I have a Sony Dru dual layer burner,but would rather have the Pioneer burner because of its success rate.If you need to look at a really good guide for flashing your drive I would recommend this site http://360hax.com/page.php?5#flashing79 which has helped me out a bunch.Make sure you read this guide carefully as it won't do you any good if I tell you exactly what to do on this.You have to comprehend this on your own so you know exactly what you are doing,and won't mess up your console.To get into ModeB for the 78 drive is going to a be a little tricky,and there are other methods that can be used.I prefer the Slax method,but yeah some people use a chip to get into ModeB or the two-wire/resistor trick.I prefer the ixtreme firmwares,but that is pretty much preference I think.It really depends on if you mess with xbox live or not I think.I use iextreme with stealth backups,but I really don't need to as I don't mess with online.It doesn't hurt to use that setup though I guess,incase one of these days you actually do go online or something like that.I would highly suggest you learn how to get on xbins as soon as possible,because it will save you a ton of time getting everything you will need.I'm not sure if there are very many people that use it on here,but I would suggest getting your XBox 360 tools etc... from them.If you can't figure out xbins,just find a site that has them.I'm pretty sure if you do find a site that has them you will probably have to register as well,but that is normal.

9. Reapa360

Reapa360 Member

I saw a tutorial of a guy (sadly i lost the link) who didnt have any mod chips, but cut a hole in his box and mounted his own sata input port on the back. He use some Sata wire that has 2 inputs and 1 output (output went into the dvd drive) 1 input was for the console, the other was left external - looked cost efficient :p

for now I think I'll get my Sata card, and probably that 2 way sata cable (I'll just leave my box half open for now until I figure out for sure what I'll do. I've downloaded the xbins thing and am browsing it.
    Should i get any other things like the Xtreme legal patcher or the hitachi stealth maker???

10. Reapa360

Reapa360 Member

11. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

Im not sure but i wouldnt go with that one. Not every sata card is compatible.Two good choices i would recommend would either be an onboard Intel ICH* chipset or a Via 6421 card.
    Alot of DL burners will work but as stated some are better than others. I use a nec 3500ag and its works wonderfully.

In my opinion buying piece of equipment like the blaster360 etc. is a waste of money. It doesnt take but 1 or 2 minutes to open the console once you've done it enough

12. Reapa360

Reapa360 Member

Ok I ordered a Via 6421c card instead of that other one at directron.

- http://www.mod-store.com.au/xbox_guide.php?xbox360_game_backup - thats it... just that?.. and nothing else?! I'm gonna order a preflashed Samsung sh-d162c drive today off my great friend E-bay today. Just 1 question.. in the guide the first screen shot shows the xbc, theres a line that says "This is not a true 1 to 1 copy of the image." ummm.. anyone care to explain?

13. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

It explains it in readme for xbc bro:

This uses a technique I called the "Sector Mapper" It uses the XDVDFS to read only the data referenced by the file system. In theory this should do two things:
    1. Speed up the process by not trying to read the Security Place Holders
    2. Speed up the process by only reading the data, not the entire disk.
    Please be aware that although this has been tested and is working the concept has not proven itself on a large scale.It currently does not work on Xbox 360 disks.

It is only used on regular XBox images,and doesn't apply to XBox 360 images.I got the VIA VT6421L Serial ATA RAID PCI Controller Card and it gets the job done.

14. Reapa360

Reapa360 Member

K, i got my sammy shd162c and I'm about to back up my Earth Defence Force 2017 game, but XBC only says "Unkown Partition Size. Used Bytes = 5.32mb" - when i stick chromehounds in there it displays all the normal stuff (normal as in the copy guide link in my previous post) - any ideas? I'm gonna try and copy it for now, guess we'll see what happens tomorrow.

15. Reapa360

Reapa360 Member

i got an error - "Unable to determine the current visible partition."
    Read Failed.

Ugh. Anyone know how I can back EDF up?

16. Reapa360

Reapa360 Member

Fixed my own problem - I was using xbc 2.3, I upgraded to 2.5 and problem gone.

Anyway - a few posts ago I said I downloaded (via torrent) a game backup (didn't have my sammy then), In the .nfo file it says its region free..
    I thought that wasn't possible....

"(Courtesy of Hursty)
    Q)Can i make them region free

A)No " - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/488409

17. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Well I would have to agree with Hursty,you can't make them region free.Each region uses a specific Hz frequency, USA/JAP uses 60Hz and PAL uses 50Hz.I could go into more detail,but you probably won't understand it all to be honest.Some game titles may infact be region free,but it is not because of some hack done to it.The games that are region free are probably just developed that way.So the answer to that question is no you still can't change any game to any region.

18. Reapa360

Reapa360 Member

K i just got my card now and am gonna stick it into my pc - im just wondering which firmware I should use? Maximus Xtreme 1.6 or the iXtreme 1.2?

also will these work with the firmware toolbox? I know these questions may sound redundant and obvious, but I just wanna be (REALLY PAINFULLY) safe.

19. Reapa360

Reapa360 Member

does the firmware toolbox 4.0 have built in firmwares?? I've been reading the tutorial and it doesnt say anything about outside firmwares.

do I paste the 2 files into the orig_fw folder? I'm a bit lost.

20. Reapa360

Reapa360 Member

Do I absolutely need a connectivity kit or is there another way to power the dvd drive?