1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 keeps turning on and off by itself after JTAG

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Ace_2, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

I was given a Zephyr Xbox 360 Arcade that kept giving 2 red lights with error code 0013 after 5 minutes, so I went ahead and fixed the system. Everything worked fine, and then it hit me: it was running dashboard 6717, which meant it was still vulnerable to the JTAG exploit, and I've been wanting to JTAG an Xbox 360 for a long time, but couldn't because the other 2 Xbox 360s I have, a Falcon Arcade and a Zephyr Elite, already had dashboard 8955 installed on them, so the eFuses in the CPU were blown. I went through a lot of hell getting the JTAG exploit to work, but I managed to get it working. The console now boots into dashboard 9199 with FreeBOOT 0.032, but now, I've got a really nasty problem that I've never seen before, and here it is: the console turns on and off by itself. Yeah, I don't know what's the problem, but every time I plug in my Zephyr Xbox 360 Arcade, it turns on and off without me even touching the Power or Eject buttons or pressing the Xbox button on my controller. And every time before it shuts off, one of these things happens:

-Boots to the dashboard
    -Gives 1 red light with E79
    -Nothing
    -The 4 lights in the Ring of Light remain lit(red or orange... since when are the lights supposed to be orange?)
    -Console acts as though the Sync button is pressed

I don't know what's going on here and I've never heard of this problem. Anyone know how I can fix this?

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. moten

moten Regular member

Ensure that all your soldering is correct and that there are no short circuits.

4. miketrev

miketrev Regular member

Might be also worth flashing XBR3 on to it with flash 360 (make sure you keep your current kv) to see if its a nand issue

5. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

You know, I think the problem might be caused by power problems on the NAND. Let me just mention what I did from start to finish before the problems occurred:

-Read the NAND nearly 30 times due to multiple non-matching dumps and read errors(finally managed to get 3 matching dumps)
    -Flashed XeLL and got my CPU key
    -Made my FreeBOOT 0.032 image
    -Bricked the Xbox 360 after I got write errors to the NAND and couldn't rewrite to the NAND as NANDPro could no longer detect the proper flash config
    -Soldered a USB cable as shown here to erase the NAND: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=700983#entry4602805
    -Reflashed FreeBOOT, everything worked out just fine
    -Desoldered the LPT and USB cables

After I desoldered the LPT and USB cables, everything went wrong. I'm thinking that because of the USB cable, the NAND it not getting proper power because what happens before the Xbox 360 shuts itself off is never consistent. When the USB and LPT cables was in place, everything was fine. I think the problem is either:

-A short where I desoldered my LPT and USB cables
    -A short somewhere else on the motherboard
    -Power problem on the NAND

I will make note that before I desoldered the LPT and USB cables, I was playing for 10 minutes without the Xbox 360 ever freaking out. As soon as the cables were desoldered, it takes no longer than 30 seconds and the Xbox 360 keeps turning itself on and off. I will check the motherboard again to see what the problem is.

Oh, and one more thing: sometimes, the Xbox 360 turns on as soon as I plug in the power supply. I also hear a click noise every time my Xbox 360 turns on without me touching the power button.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  6. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

A lot of the problems you mentioned; reading 30 times, no flash config, those are almost always due to a bad cable/soldering.

When you did get matching dumps, were there any errors?

And what process did you follow to build your freeboot image? There are a bunch of different tuts and gui's available. And I've ran into some that have given me bad results before.

And I too would recommend building an xbr image and flashing it. It's a lot more easier than freeboot and you can see if your freeboot image is the problem.

7. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

It turned out that my problem with the bad reads was because I didn't ground the outer metal shielding of the LPT plug. Once that was grounded, I got perfect dumps of my Xbox 360's NAND. No errors and no mismatched blocks. The writing errors were actually caused by me not erasing the NAND prior to flashing FreeBOOT. Once the NAND was erased, I flashed FreeBOOT and it worked first try(but took over 4 hours to complete).

And I think I fixed the constant on/off problem(knock on wood). It seems like the problem did come from something shorting out on the bottom of the motherboard where I have my JTAG stuff soldered to and where the LPT cable used to be. I removed some of the excess solder and isolated everything with electric tape, and so far so good. Also reflowed the solder on the capacitor.

Another thing: when the Xbox 360 was going crazy, it completely forgot all the settings I put for it - country, language, HDTV settings, everything. When I got the system to work correctly again, it remembered all the settings I put except for HD resolution(1080i - I'd need an HDMI cable for 1080p, as I'm using all my modern gaming hardware on a Samsung SyncMaster 244T PC monitor).

Now to buy a hard drive for this console. And maybe even mod the DVD drive(unlike the JTAG hack, I'm familiar with flashing the DVD drive, as I had to upgrade the firmware on my Falcon Xbox 360 due to it being unable to play one of my backups).

8. BillB

BillB Regular member

Wow... This just happened to me on the 13th. I finally figured out what my problem was. I had the same things happening to me ( turning on and off, ring of lights going crazy, E79, etc.. My problem was where I had soldered the switching diode on pin 6 of the RF connection, I didn't get enough electrical tape to cover it from grounding on the bottom of the motherboard. I kept thinking it was the RF cards. I probably threw away 3 or 4 of them lol. After I figured it out, it was smooth sailing from then on. I'm glad to hear you got your problem figured out as well.

9. Ace_2

Ace_2 Regular member

I do still get an occasional E79, but as long as this Xbox 360 doesn't crap out on me because of FreeBOOT, I can live with it. I think this will now become my primary Xbox 360. I'd just need to flash the DVD, which, unlike the JTAG exploit, is something I'm familiar with(flashed the Lite-On drive in my Falcon Xbox 360 after I found out the version of iXtreme on the drive was too old). From what I can gather, this appears to be a common problem on Zephyr Xbox 360s, but everyone makes mention of XBReboot, which I'm not even sure is as stable as FreeBOOT, so I don't know if the problem applies with FreeBOOT as well.

10. moten

moten Regular member

If the E79 are related to overheating I wouldn't get too attached to that Xbox 360 if I were you as there is not permanent fix. Sadly, everything is just a stall.

11. BillB

BillB Regular member

E79 is definitely not related to overheating. It's usually a problem with JTAG wires shorting, or possibly bad blocks that need remapped from my experience.

12. moten

moten Regular member

Then you should be fine. Enjoy your JTAGed 360. :)

13. BC99

BC99 Member

what you are describing is a common problem with Zephyr JTAGs. A fix has been released, you will need to flash a new SMC to the tag and some alternative soldering.

See XBH for Blackaddrs thread about new Zephyr SMC.