1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox 360 Live Crashes the Whole Network

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by ukefc, Apr 1, 2007.

1. ukefc

ukefc Member

In my network I have a desktop which is connected via ethernet to a Belkin wireless router. I also have a laptop and another desktop that connect wirelessly to the same router. I am on cable 10mb broadband. I have been running with this network for months and had no problems at all.

Then we bought my son an XBox 360. Since he has had this and since he has been using Live, the network keeps crashing. He can use Live for a certain period of time (varies) without problem but then he loses his connection with a DNS error message. It wouldnt be so bad if it was just the XBox, but at this point everything loses connection, even the wired desktop. Using the wired desktop I can still access the router which shows its status as "connected" but no connection to the internet is available until the modem and router are re-booted. I have thought it could be the router or maybe the modem, but they work absolutely fine when the XBox is not connected. I work from home and I am conected all day long, until the XBox is switched on and I get this problem.

Any ideas?

2. mrlip

mrlip Regular member

Sounds like the traffic load of xbox live is crashing the router. Try upgrading the firmware of the router and cable modem. Or search google for similar problems.

3. ThaJazz

ThaJazz Guest

try a new router there is a wireless g router that is xbox approved.this may help u i think the router is made by linksys.and it has the xbox live logo on the box .also check to see if your isp support live if they do call them to see what they can do for u.but again try the router xbox live puts a pretty good load on a router.

4. ukefc

ukefc Member

I have a non wireless router that is not used at the moment. If I put my desktop through the non wireless router and keep the Xbox going to the wireless router, will this help?

5. ThaJazz

ThaJazz Guest

i dont think so.but i dont know about two routers on the same network.try it

6. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

No, adding the 2nd router on the network will not change the load of network traffic on your main router, the one that is currently crashing. As one other user suggested, update the firmare on your current router, or purchase a new router to use. It doesn't matter if it is xbox compatible, all you need to do is some port fowarding in the router and your xbox will be fine. If you get the netgear 624 series, you can assign the xbox a specific IP address, then do your xbox port fowarding to that IP address. I am a computer tech by trade, working independently in Aspen, CO, so I do have plenty of experience with this. The xbox is constantly pushing lots of network traffic through your router, and if the router is having load bearing issues, this can cause it to crash while all the data from the xbox is going thru it, whereas under normal circumstances it would not crash. Let us know how it is ... oh, BTW, if/when you update the firmware on the router, DO NOT do it with a wireless connection ... connect with a cable and do it.

7. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Who is your Service Provider?
    What Brand of router are you using?
    Where are you in the world?

8. ukefc

ukefc Member

Thanks for the replies. I am in the UK using 10mb cable broadband and my ISP is Blueyonder. I use a Belkin Pre-N wireless router (F5D8230-4). I have tried to upgrade the router firmware but I get a message saying my firmware is up to date.

Here's a thing - I dont have port forwarding set up on this router for the Xbox - could that solve the problem without changing the router?

I sawthis article which prompted me to think that setting up a second router might ease the load:-

9. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Your URL is dead. I am running 2 routers in my home, mainly because I need extra wireless, and needed a hub for all the game consoles when I have XBOX parties. I would buy this router.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5507043&st=WGR614&type=product&id=1051826245223

I would use that as your primary router. If you still lose your connection, feel free to post back and I will help you configure your Belkin to work as a Switch, which might ease the load. I have a feeling that it is your router, so I would get the Netgear. The model number for the Netgear is WGR614.

10. ukefc

ukefc Member

Is it worth trying to configure the Belkin before I buy another router?

11. ukefc

ukefc Member

I have set up port forwarding for the Xbox and the NAT status has gone from "strict" to "open".

Hopefully this will do the trick?

12. ukefc

ukefc Member

Didn't work. Same problem is happening.

13. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Can you try connecting your XBOX straight into the Cable Modem? If it doesn't cut out then it is your router.

14. steimy

steimy Active member

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat25300050001&id=1074787298555
    that is the router i have been using for a few years. Works with Xbox and Xbox 360.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat25300050005&id=1061127609830
    and the wireless adapter i use. Never had any crashes, and these also have good Cisco security (use it with any wireless network!!!!)
    you just have to make sure you write down all the security info and keep it handy because any device (laptop, wireless adapter, 360 and so on) will need this entered into the network setting to connect.

one last odd thing you can try is this:
    http://www.teammodders.com/forum/internet-connection-sharing-for-the-xbox-or-other-console-t714.html
    i would of course try everything else you can before running out and buying a new router and wireless gaming adapter. Although having it wireless is quite nice as you can have it in another room.

15. ukefc

ukefc Member

Thanks for the ideas on a replacement router.

For now, it seems like since I gave the Xbox a static IP and set up port forwarding, the performance has deteriorated. When using Live there is a lag in the game, for example when firing a gun there is a delay between pressing the button and the gun actually firing. When I tried to go back to automatic network settings to see if I could get back to "normal" I now cannot do this. I keep getting a failue on MTU. I can connect fine with manual settings but get the lag, but if I go automatic I get the MTU fail. Everything has been rebooted and no difference. I want to get back to the way it was before (even with the intermittant crashes) because at least we got some performance out of it. If I can get back to that point at least we can use Live while we get a new router sorted out.

16. ukefc

ukefc Member

Another question on routers. I chose my current router because it gives me a wireless connection speed of 108 mbps. Most other routers I see it is 54 mbps. My first consideration for a router has to be my work which is why I wanted the 108 mbps - the Xbox is a secondary consideration. I have looked at the Xbox compatible routers and they all seem to be 54 mbps. Question - can I have the two routers working side by side - the Xbox router just for the Xbox and my current router for the wireless laptop and desktop?

Does the 108mbps / 54 mbps actually make a difference (54 mbps doesnt seem to affect the Xbox performance)?

Help!

17. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

18. steimy

steimy Active member

really, 108MBPS VS 54MBPS all depends on your connection speed from your ISP. I have a 5MB cable connection and i have never seen a transfer rate anywhere close to 54MBPS so i really would not worry about it. The highest speed i have seen on a standard home connection is 10MB. If we were talking KB/S then it would be a huge difference.

when setting up a static connection, you only want to do that if your PC is running a static connection, mine personally is set up DHCP as it makes everything a bit easier because it assigns everything from the router to each system. Unless the system is running on wireless and is about 60 feet or more away from your PC there should be no lag at all. Mine is all wireless and about 60 feet away in another room. I have zero lag during online gaming.

can you list the settings on the Xbox and the settings you have on the PC? (if you don't already know this go to Start->Accessories->command prompt and at the prompt type "ipconfig/all" without quotes)

19. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

you can't have the two routers working separately on the modem, unless you buy 2 routers ... you have the one new router on the internet connection and then your two other routers (the old one and the new one) connected to the first new router ... splitting your connection from the one into two routers. What I would suggest is just replacing your existing router with a netgear 624 series which does have the 108mbps, but that won't make a difference with the speed. The 108mbps is only supported with other netgear wireless devices that support rangemax ... but it is flaky and doesn't work well. The key thing about the 624 series is that you can assign a specific IP to the xbox in the router, and then foward your ports to that IP. This way you can have the xbox on dhcp settings for the IP, yet it will always get the same IP so the port fowarding will work.

20. ukefc

ukefc Member

Thanks for the help guys. I have done a bit of elimination and disconnected the router and just put a wire from my desktop to the cable modem. The cable modem crashed about 3 times in the space of 2 hours. Looks like it is the modem at fault, not the router although having said that I havent ruled out the router yet. The cable guy is visiting tomorrow and I will hopefully get a replacement modem. Fingers crossed that this solves the problems although I think I will still end up with having to get a router for the Xbox given the advice in this thread.