1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox 360 / modding

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Sniping_G, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Sniping_G

Sniping_G Regular member

im going to purshase a xbox 360 soon and mod it , heres some questions i have( i read the stickys but i dont get anything) :
    1.Does it matter what xbox i get , like the drive
    2.Is there a safe mod
    3.Would bestbuy warenty cover me opening the xbox
    4.whats the easier way to mod , and what do i need
    5. If i screw up the 360 - the red ring or watever can i recover it?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

1.Does it matter what xbox i get , like the drive - Yes because not all of them can be flashed (modded)

2.Is there a safe mod - not if your talking about Xbox Live. There is no 100% guarantee about bannings.

3.Would bestbuy warenty cover me opening the xbox
    Most retail stores will check for the security sticker. If you do ot do it correctly and mess up that sticker then you just voided your warranty.

4.whats the easier way to mod , and what do i need
    Flashing the DVD drive, and there are tutorials that tell you how. Can not xplain how until you know which drive you have. But basically your PC needs to have SATA slots or you can buy an SATA card for it for about $20 or less. Just make sure it is the right kind as not all SATA cards or PCs have the right chipset for flashing.

5. If i screw up the 360 - the red ring or watever can i recover it?
    Yes there are ways to fix it yourself if you have the skills. But if you did not mess up the security sticker, and had the warranty from the store you bought it (usually $30-$40 extra) then you can take it back within a year and get it replaced free. Or if it is after the store warranty but still within 3 years of your purchase date then you can send it to Microsift to be fixed, again only if the security sticker is not messed up when opening the case.

So my advice is read a lot and really know what your doing before you jump into this. Dual Layer discs are not cheap. Downloading games is illegal, you need to know how to use and burn what you downloaded if you choose to do it, and so on.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  3. Sniping_G

Sniping_G Regular member

Thank you for answering those questons, but is there away fo not dmg the security sticker , also wha do you mean by "skills" at doing what

also how much would its cost to mod ur drive when you dont have anything besides the 360?

4. steimy

steimy Active member

i mean a skilled modder can use a hairdryer and razor blade and get the sticker off with no damage. Then it can be stored on wax paper and put back on if needed. And for fixing it there is a part called the Xclamp or Xclip that you can replace. You will have to read up on that one to see what is involved in replacing it.

Hpw much it costs to mod depends on what you have. If your PC has SATA ports that will work for flashing, and you read instructions for opening the case with common tools. Then it costs you nothing.
    Well except the cost of the DVD+R DL Verbatim discs (about $40 for 20). Or if you are looking to back up games from original discs, then you need to buy a Samsung SH-D162C (standard IDE) or SH-D163A (SATA)DVD-Rom drive flashed with Kreon firmware on Ebay for another $50. But well worth every penny.

5. Sniping_G

Sniping_G Regular member

how can i tell if i have SATA ports,

6. epa2k7

epa2k7 Member

I can help with finding the Sata ports. First you can just go online and search for information about your computer and see if any of the specs say you have Sata ports. I would start by checking your computer manuals or the website of the company that made your computer. The other way is to open your computer and check yourself. A Sata port looks like a square or a rectangle with a L shaped spot in the middle. Hopefully that helps.

7. Sniping_G

Sniping_G Regular member

8. steimy

steimy Active member

No, i do not see any SATA ports but as mentioned above you can buy a PCI slot card that will give you SATA slots.

9. Sniping_G

Sniping_G Regular member

can u recommend me a good pci slot, and also umm what modchip should i get?

10. steimy

steimy Active member

You shouldn't get a mod chip, that is the purpose of flashing it. and i would do a search in the posts here for SATA card or something because i do not know the exact one people used, but i do know that they posted it a few times.

11. Sniping_G

Sniping_G Regular member

ok this is confussing now, whats bad about getting a modchiP?

12. panther75

panther75 Member

i'm new of everything, but i have built my xbox360 and hd drive in a case with the 19" monitor. everything's working but i also want to mod the software as well. can somebody let me know things that need to be done?. thank you. ( 1st time in a furum too, i don't know if i;'m in the right place.)

13. steimy

steimy Active member

panther75, just start your own thread with your question. It is too hard to try and keep up with two different questions.

Sniping_G, i will try and clear it up.
    Getting a mod chip and flashing the drive serve exactly the same purpose. It lets you play backed up (copied) games, nothing more. But with a mod chip once it is installed that is it, your stuck with whatever you have. No taking it out or updating it. With flashing the drive it is easy to update and easy to go back to your original firmware if needed (original firmware should ALWAYS be backed up when flashing the drive). Newer firmware is beeing release quite often these days and modchips are not quite keeping up to date as well.

Does that help?

14. panther75

panther75 Member

thank a lot sniping G,

15. Sniping_G

Sniping_G Regular member

ohh ok , well i guess imma stick with flashing the drive , how hard is the process of flashing? also im going to buy a 36 0soon , how much money should i save up for the flashing part (the sata drives ) is that all i need?

16. panther75

panther75 Member

i'm living in ca,i can hook you up a like new one for cheap.

17. sp7ke

sp7ke Guest

The VIA 6421 L or A cards are the most commonly used PCI sata card for flashing.