1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Plays cds only

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by ohmss, Oct 24, 2012.

1. ohmss

ohmss Regular member

Hi all,

I purchased an xbox 360 for my spare room. It was sold as cant read games so I bought it thinking I would just change the laser, it was only £20. Upon arrival I noticed that it had been open previously. The issue is that it wont read games or dvds although it will read cds, sort of. I also tried to update it to the latest dash but I get the message cant process update. Any ideas? Also when moving the laser down it seems to be catching although not when moving up.

Thanks to all

2. infam0us

infam0us Regular member

drive has probably been swapped out or spoofed

3. peluynati

peluynati Regular member

you should try a new laser, the information on a cd is a lot easier to read than other formats, it may just be weak! worth a try since you already bought it!

4. ohmss

ohmss Regular member

Thanks for the reply's guys. I'll try a new laser first seeing as there only a few £

5. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

6. ohmss

ohmss Regular member

Thanks all. I've swapped the laser from my elite. It reads cds still but original games it just stays on the xbox 360 logo. If I play a backup it immediately reverts back to the dashboard. Possibly someone put the wrong drive inside? if so can it be fixed?? thanks

7. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

if the key were wrong the xbox would not recognize it.... the light would blink as if its missing/trying to eject....

you said its giving you error while updating correct? the drive is probably been flashed with older ixtreme/LT firmware thats why its giving you that...

anyway... what you need is to use jungle flasher to flash the drive with its stock firm.... then update console so it would flash the newest firm to drive... then just use jungle flasher again and flash LT3 if its liteon or benq drive... should fix all the problems youre having ^__^

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  8. ohmss

ohmss Regular member

Thanks cyprien, I've tried flashing but are unable to obtain the key. I've tried probing and it states extraction complete but doesnt extract the key. Any ideas? thanks mate

9. peluynati

peluynati Regular member

if the firmware is old you may try tray half open, or that could be the problem no key on the drive!

10. ohmss

ohmss Regular member

Thanks peluynati. If thats the case is it unfixable?

11. peluynati

peluynati Regular member

still fixable if that is the case, also one of the really old ones needs that disc to work, cant remember the name of it though read through JF it will tell you.

12. ohmss

ohmss Regular member

Hi all,

Well I've extracted the key from the drive. Updated the drive to stock then reflashed with lt 3.0 and it still acts if though the games are dvds and wont play them and the backups just revert back to dashboard.

13. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

did you flash it with stock and tested a game?

14. ohmss

ohmss Regular member

Hi Cyprien, yeah I did.

15. peluynati

peluynati Regular member

if backups you say revert back to the dashboard then they must be trying to load? if thats the case then you have the correct key, sounds like your dashboard is not up to date with your drives frimware now

16. ohmss

ohmss Regular member

Yeah the backups try to load briefly. Black screen appears disc spins for about 5 seconds then back to dashboard. Originals just show the logo. Thanks to everyone for all the help

17. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

No, it wouldn't, I already had key missmatch on a Lite-on, all it did was acting like a DVD player, What you describe is what happens when you have the wrong firmware installed/no firmware at all/bad flash...

18. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

yeah but in this case all it does is play cds? lol this one is strage... i never stumble upon this kind of xbox lol... i would guess its the drive itself?... maybe the cables? the guy did say they load but few a few seconds... that means xbox does load them... but would not continue to load further.. other laser didn't do much as its acted like the old one... so the problem is in the drive itself?... so elimination goes further no? its not the firm its not laser either.... its not the xbox itself?... so maybe sata cable?... what ohmss should do is run the xbox while the drive is open to see what goes on there... it can be also related to spindle itself?... i guess i got too much on my mind these past days... not thinking straight...

19. ohmss

ohmss Regular member

Hey Guys, I have flashed to stock again with fw 0251 and still the same. Not sure what else I can do. I did put 0800 on it and thats working fine.

20. ohmss

ohmss Regular member

Whats strange cyprien is that the original discs go to the xbox 360 logo and the backups revert back to dashboard