1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Repair Question???

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by thegrunt, Jun 11, 2007.

1. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

Ok my Xbox 360 gave me the 3 red lights about a month ago and have used the towel fix to get it to work.Now I got the 3 lights again I try the towel trick and it dosent work so I need to send my 360 to Microsoft or buy a new one.A while ago,before the 3 red lights I opened up my 360 to see what drive it had,I was going to hack it but a few days later the reports come in that MS starts banning modified 360s.So can I send my 360 even though the sticker is tamperd with???
    Thanks

2. steimy

steimy Active member

yes, but since you voided your warranty i think they charge $140 to fix it. Two things you could have done.
    1. you can tell which manufacturer your drive is just by pressing eject and comparing your disc tray to pictures on the internet.
    2. you can get the sticker off if your careful with a hairdryer without damaging it so you could have replaced it later when needed.

3. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

MS states that if you've removed the sticker they will not touch it, period.

I was at my friend's troubleshooting his dead 360. He called MS to get a return box sent out. First he went through some automated questions then he was connected to a rep. He was asked a few more questions and then at the end the rep stated that if the warrenty protection was tampered with that the 360 will be automatically returned, untouched.

Now, that being said, I've also read a few threads here in the forums where people have claimed they've sucessfully sent in their 360 for repairs. Both missing the warrenty sticker and leaving the drive flashed.

So, I guess it's really a crap shoot. Here's the number: 1-800-4MY-XBOX. The least you can do is call it and get a box sent out to you. It doesn't cost you anything except a few minutes and you can see what they say. And just because you get the box doesn't mean you have to send it in to them.

4. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

Thanks for the replys,man this sucks I dont want to spend $140 on it and then later for the 3 ligts to show up again and if I get the 2 year plan its about $200.I dont know if I should buy a new core online Damn
    Thanks again

5. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

On #1 I did that but I have a Hitachi Drive and theirs like 3 different versions:/

Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
  6. Josh133

Josh133 Member

I feel your pain on this one.I am on my 3rd 360 first one i sent to Microsoft to have fixed after the dreaded red ring,they fixed it and wouldn't you know it about 3 months later it happened again!I just decided to buy the core system and not even mess with Microsoft,and 2 weeks before Christmas last year it took a shit on me.I made up my mind i wasn't going to buy another and buy a PS3,but my parents bought me another one for x-mas so here i am again about 20 minutes ago i got 3 red rings and the games get fuzzy and freeze no matter which game i play.I have just decided to give up on the 360 too many issues and i am running out of patience and money fixing these 400 dollar paperweights.I wish you good luck on you 360 problems Grunt you will need it!

7. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

Josh you should just send it to Microsoft youre still under warranty,and now they are changing the Xbox 360s heat sink so it might fix the problem.This is my first 360,got it in Febuary of 2006 made on 1-21-06.Got it to work again with the towels but I think im going to send it to MS,I dont have money to spend on a new one since im going to New York next month.I would get a PS3 but I love MS first party games too much to let it go.I dont know how MS gets away with selling these faulty consoles.It was PS2 last gen,360 this gen, I feel for anybody whos had the 3 red lights:(

8. fgamer

fgamer Guest

I've had it 3 times so far, now I'll be on my 4th 360 once I send this Samsung off. ALso, I've sent one in without the tag and they repaired it free under warranty no questions aksed. Now I'm waiting for my banned Hitachi to come back from being (un-banned)/repaired. I complained about being wrongfully banned and I think they're sending me a different console with a different serial number. But, I won't know for sure until UPS delivers it to me on the 18th. They told me over the phone that it's been fixed or unbanned I guess you can say..

9. richy6976

richy6976 Regular member

hi guys new to the xbox 360 lark but i read somewhere there is a way to fix a machine with the dreaded 3 red lights aside from the towel trick i only bought it a couple of weeks ago its soft modded so dont think it'll get sent back also i'm not the original purchaser so any help would be great thanks guys