1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 slim dvd swap

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by R3aLiSTiCxViRuS, Oct 10, 2012.

1. R3aLiSTiCxViRuS

R3aLiSTiCxViRuS Member

I recently aquired a xbox 360 slim, that doesnt read games. i got it for dirt cheap so im not complaining. I switched a dvd drive on a fat xbox 360. it was a benq so i had to soder off the pcb board and resoder it onto the new drive. i was wondering can you do this same thing with the xbox slim drives or are you only able to update the key by flasing the drive? id rather just swap the boards on the slim as well. thanks for any help

2. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Should be possible, as long as it's the same brand drive.

3. R3aLiSTiCxViRuS

R3aLiSTiCxViRuS Member

what about the harddrive? can i take my 120gb out of the casing and put it into the slim casing to replace the 4gb it came with?

4. infam0us

infam0us Regular member

5. peluynati

peluynati Regular member

replacing the laser would be a lot cheaper than doing the entire drive, and if you have experience with soldering, taking out one screw and a ribbon cable should not be any kind of chore! new laser = 8 dollars, replacement drive = 70 dollars!

6. R3aLiSTiCxViRuS

R3aLiSTiCxViRuS Member

Hmm never thought of that thats a good tip. I think ill replace the spindle motor and opening rubber band while im in there too, might as well then it should be like new. thanks for the tips guys

7. impreza_chap

impreza_chap Member

I'm deployed, so waiting for a new xbox 360 takes time. I swapped out the disk drives from a fat white 360 into the slim 4g 360, because the disk drive wouldn't open and it also didn't work anymore. Everything switched over, whith some cutting and swapping wires for a longer one. It works fine but it reads the games as DVDs and not as games. Any ideas?