1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 started crashing no red lights

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by brido84, Apr 21, 2007.

1. brido84

brido84 Regular member

my Xbox 360 has just started crashing, it is showing no red lights, just crashes in menue somtimes but normally mid game useually after a couple of seconds playing. Here are some images of the screen when it has crashed.

Just been looking at it more closly and it seems to be when it gets hot could this be similar to 'the red lights of death' an overheating problem has anyone opened theres up and changed the thermal compound.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  2. brido84

brido84 Regular member

sorry I'm double posting but can't edit the original.

just figured out how to edit post sorry.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  3. bazthegun

bazthegun Member

mine done this for a bout 3 weeks before it died completly with the 3 red light problem.

it sounds like yours is about to go the same way

al least when it does go in can be repaired without to much stress

good luck dude

4. fern148

fern148 Regular member

samething is happening to mine...I'm going crazy thinking it's the flash.

5. brido84

brido84 Regular member

Sorted out the problem, I rebeded the two heatsink the thermal compound was completly dryed out there was very little of it still on top of the processor, (a small circle in the middle of the processor) but this did not sort it.

So I went to microsoft and it said make sure your clock is set to the right time I thought what the hell but I'll try it anyway, so I checked it and it wasn't (I'd been on holiday and left it completly unpluged, still don't think it should of lost the time)I put the right time in and hey presto it's working like when it was brand new.

Just played it for 10 hours with a couple of breaks but left the console on the whole time no problems, yay me (an maby microsft a bit)

6. brido84

brido84 Regular member

spoke too soon left it off for about 3 hours turned it back on 3 red lights, Boooooo

bazthegun what do you mean by "at least when it does go in can be repaired without to much stress " do you mean by microsoft

7. bazthegun

bazthegun Member

no my freind i mean by yourself.

8. brido84

brido84 Regular member

Could you tell me how it would be much appreciated?

9. bazthegun

bazthegun Member

ok dude there are plenty of posts relating to this and i would suggest having a look through them. but here goes.

have a look at these two vids (its a lot faster them me explaining it here m8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leOkRbqWeWo&mode=related&search=

then this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWEB6sBB_Gg&mode=related&search=

these will show how exactly what you will need to.

if you sorted the heatsinks out yourself then you obviously know how to remove the board so that is half the battle dude.

NOW a few words of caution m8......

if you do this wrong and apply to much heat to the wrong part of the board you will kill it.if you have a look at some of the other vids on youtube you will see people blasting there whole boards with the heatgun (one moron wraps the thing in tin foil????).DO NOT do that. alot of people after have found that after blasting the whole board that the 360 won't boot anymore unless you unhook the dvd drive.

just to make sure you fully understand this is only a temperary fix and you will end up back to sqaure one at some point in time. it is very difficult to say how long it will last for . for some people it has lasted for months and others only a week or two but if done right you should be ok for a while.i have done a few now with this method and all are still going ok with no fried boards at all.

know the tools i use are not as good as the guy in the vids but they work just fine. set your baord up so that you can get to BOTH sides of the board without moving or even touching the board.to start with i use a standard hairdryer on both sides of the board for a few minutes to warm the area up a little(to stop the board heating up to fast) then swich to a standard 600w heat gun, again on both side of the board for a few mins( no more than 30-40 seconds on one side without switching) then go back to the hair dryer again for a few mins and this will help stop the board from cooling down to fast.then leave your board to cool down for while (1/2 to 3/4 of an hour) and then but it all back together again and you should be good to go.

and to finish ,as the problem is caused by bad solder which cracks after time the only permanant fix is too have all that nasty solder removed and replayced with better stuff but you need to be a soldering god to do this and is well outwith the skills of most people.

good luck to you dude