1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 System Link Troubleshooting: Gears of War

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by bacirul01, Apr 19, 2007.

1. bacirul01

bacirul01 Member

So..for a brief introduction..I am using two normal xbox 360s.
    I connect each xbox with a standard cat 5 cable..ethernet , whatever.. and connect it to the router, hub whatever. The xbox 360s recognize they are connected but.. When I go to the system link option in gears of war and create a host game..The other xbox 360 does not recognize any room created and/ or doesn't connect at all...What could be causing this??? The connections are right.. so what is it!!

2. Azrea1

Azrea1 Regular member

u need to know what device ur using is it a hub or a router? if its a router u may need to set it to dynamic... or u could use a crossover cable and connect it dirctly to the 360s, but i

3. steimy

steimy Active member

it could be the same problem stopping you that is stopping everyone who tries to use system link through programs like Xlink Kai. But i am not 100% sure as the issue has to do with ping timing and yours are directly connected. But the 360 has a built in ping timer that makes it very hard to system link two systems unless they have almost the same ping rate.

4. bacirul01

bacirul01 Member

2 xbox 360s
    crossover cable
    no hub or router needed

Link shows active
    I can connect to my computer through the ethernet port..
    But am getting trouble when playing gears of war through system link.
    I've tried switching cables and using a linksys router and still no go..

It's a mystery not even microsoft knows...how big of an ass are they??

5. snprx333

snprx333 Member

you might have an xbox that has the live updates. In that case u need to update them both or delete the update of one.

6. ToFast4U

ToFast4U Guest

Deleting the update dosent work, believe me all you end up with is having to update it again. I have no clue on the rest of the problem, because im having it also, just thought id throw my two cents in on the matter. I m hoping that someone comes up with an answer.

7. theridges

theridges Guest

if your going through a router make sure your using cat5 ethernet cables...

if your hooking them up directly to eachother you will need a cross-over cable it looks exactly like an ethernet but is made to hook to devices directly to eachother...

no if your going through the router hook both of them up and go into your router settings and make sure you have it assigned to DHCP..
    to get into your router settings go onto your computer open internet explorer or mozilla and type in the url 192.168.1.1 it will probably prompt for a username pass..its usually admin-admin unless you have changed this yourself...

8. guessswho

guessswho Regular member

I have actually read, I need to look up where because I don't remember right now, that you don't actually need a crossover cable, that a regular Ethernet cord will work. The 360 has hardware built into it which will do the "crossover". They had designed it so the crossover was not needed. I will look and see if I can find the link if need be.

9. pusta

pusta Member

Its not a router problem or cable problem its microsoft. They stuffed up a patch. I had the exact problem with not being able to systemlink up gears of war. Here is how you fix it,
    Make sure no disk is in the drive and turn on.
    Go to system then memory, press y
    then press x,x,lb,rb,x,x quickly.
    If it is done correctley it will ask if you want to perform maintaince on your xbox, say yes.
    What it does is clear the cache, the only thing is you will have to update your games again. You will not loose any saves or achievements......