1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox backup?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by suprdave, Nov 10, 2002.

1. jco

jco Member

Seamonkey, is it possible to burn a game directly to your xbox using the mod chip. I have heard that you can. Can you let me know if this is possible and if so how do you do it.

Thank
    REMOVED!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2003
  2. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

re: jco

here's a very, very brief guide (see my site for detailed instructions and pics):

putting games directly on the xbox harddrive is not too hard.
    1. you need to install evolution x dashboard onto the xbox harddrive and set it up so it boots as the default dashboard, also make sure you configure the evox.ini file so the network is setup and FTP = YES and games DON't autoload.

2. Once you get the network part of the evox.ini setup, hook up the xbox to a router or use a crossover cable (this is alittle harder, you have to setup a static ip to the xbox to show up, try to ping the ip that the dashboard shows)

3. once you get the xbox on the network, just ftp into the xbox's ip (user name= xbox, password= xbox). Once you are connected, you should see 7 or 8 folders. Make a nice backup of the C and E drive (just in case something happens)
    The DVD drive is the "D" folder, puta game in and copy all of the files from the D folder onto your computer.

4. after you have the files on your computer, you'll need to create a games folder on the xbox in the "E" folder (leave the other folders alone in the "E" folder, they are game save states), then add a folder in the games folder for your game (ie splintercell) adn copy all of the files we copied from the xbox's D drive into the new folder (our example, splintercell)

5. now, you need to change your evox.ini file to let you load the games on the harddrive. once you do that, you can just load up your xbox and play the game directly from the harddrive. (again, see my site for details, too much to type and i'm lazy today ;-)

6. voila! games load faster, your xbox is a semi-portable game machine (who needs the disc when its on the harddrive!!) plus, if your up to it, you can replace the factory drive with a PC IDE harddrive (up to 120 GB in size).

hope that gives ya a start!!
    oh yea, to get backup dvds to play on the xbox, just burn the movies with Stomp RecordNow rather than nero burn.

peace
    seamonkey420
    seamonkey420's guides:
    http://www.geocities.com/daseamonkey420/

i'll hope to 10,000 hits this week!! oh yea, i apologize for any of the "website unavailable" messages from geocities, lots of visitors i guess..

3. chillsbwp

chillsbwp Guest

Hey Seamonkey, is 120 gb the max size hd an xbox can handle?
    Also msdshboard doesnt load when selected, it reboots to evox with no skin and if i hit msdash again it goes back to evox with the skin i choose. it goes back and forth. no msdash.
    anyone have any helpful hints?

4. blizz5

blizz5 Member

I started xbox with evox cd and the evox screen appeard
    i took out evo x cd put in rallisport challenge
    and connected with flashfxp
    i looked whats in D:
    only 2 files default.xbe
    and another small file
    i suggest this isnt the game
    anyone can help me?

5. jco

jco Member

WHAT IS EVOLUTION X. DOES ANYONE KNOW.

6. chillsbwp

chillsbwp Guest

Hey Blizz55, the two files you are looking at are the evox files, try hiting the refresh button at the upper right of flashfxp after you insert the game, hope that helps

7. Flame67

Flame67 Guest

hey Jco Evolution x is a dashboard for the xbox. You can download it and replace it with the microsoft 1.
    Download Evolution X at http://www.geocities.com/xbox_beyond/
    Look in the bottom left corner and click it thats how you download it.

Ps You can download the Evolution-X D6 With Eject fix at xtreme-xbox.net
    Get a User name Click downloads. Click Evolution X. Click bios and look for Evolution-X D6 With Eject fix

Good Luck dude

8. jco

jco Member

so you use the evolution x bios and download it to your mod and then install the mod onto the motherboard.

9. Flame67

Flame67 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2003
  10. jco

jco Member

FOR SOME REASON i CAN'T GET ON THAT SEAMONKEY WEBSITE. MAYBE IT IS BECAUSE THEY HAVE A FIREWALL AT MY JOB. i WILL TRY WHEN I GET HOME. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

11. blizz5

blizz5 Member

didnt work with refresh button.
    its default.xbe
    and menu.ini (not evo-x.ini)
    someone suggested that i could have a too old version of evo-x
    could that be?
    cya blizz

12. Flame67

Flame67 Guest

Dude theres so many viewers thats why u can't get on

13. Flame67

Flame67 Guest

Hey Blizz
    I earlier posted where to get the dashboard and the bios look for them on those sites

14. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

i'm going to setup a mirror site soon.. or perhaps get my own domain..
    peace
    seamonkey420

15. jco

jco Member

does any one know how to download directly to the hard drive from the xbox. I was reading that you can do it using two programs called xboxcopy and boxplorer, but not quite sure. also is it possible to play a game without downloading once you put all these extra apps on your system.

16. Flame67

Flame67 Guest

Ok dude I got almost everything down. i'm getting my mod-chip soon from the-console-corner.com, i have all the programs i just want to know about XBOX LIVE
    Could I still play xbox live even if i did all this stuff. If So How! Please explain

17. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

hello everyone..
    well, it had to happen and it did..
    i exceeded my bandwith allocation at geocities..
    so i decided to create an alternative site for my xbox guide..
    here's a new link, i'll finish setting it up today..
    http://www.geocities.com/xboxmodded/

RE: xbox live, you can get it to work, i haven't really tried to do this myself yet, but i have heard you need to either put a switch on your xbox to disable the mod chip or if you use the matrix mod chip, set it to mode 3 (you can boot the factory bios with an original game. however, the first time you connect to xbox live, it will update your dasbhoard files (xboxdash.xbe file), so make a complete backup of you C drive before you do it.. check out some more xbox forums for more details, try searching google for "xbox modding live"

peace
    seamonkey420

18. ajm07

ajm07 Member

I know you said that most games are 1 - 2Gb, but was wandering if you could give me some exact sizes of some popular games - like halo, splinter cell, mech assault, deathrow or any others you know.

19. Flame67

Flame67 Guest

INstead of DVD-r can i burn the games with cd-rw or cd-r

20. jmac

jmac Member

you can backup games to cd-r. I have done it for a couple. There is a draw back though. Any cinematic sequences that are loaded off of the cd are slow and jerky. The best solution in my experience is to place the game on the xbox harddrive. As seamonkey has stated, the load times are much faster when the game is on the harddrive versus cd or dvd.