1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX Backups on a DVD+R

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by AWSskater, Sep 29, 2004.

1. AWSskater

AWSskater Guest

I've searched a lot of sites for a while and didnt find anything on this:
    I'm about to order a Premodded XBOX with an Aladdin Advance PLUS chip intalled from modchipworld.com. Every site I go on it says DVD-R, DVD-R! I was wondering if anyone knew if I could play dvd+r back-ups on it and if DVD Decrypter works. (by the way, the xbox has a Samsung Drive installed)

thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2004
  2. Wolfburg

Wolfburg Member

oki !!!!
    you can burn xbox game on DVD+R but the problem is your DVD Drive (samsung). on xbox there 3 different drive !!
    the Samsung = Good for reading cd-r and Cd-rw and some Dvd-r
    the Thomson = no good for CD-r, read some cd-rw but this is the best drive to read DVD+R/-R
    the philips drive is good for some cd-r and some Dvd-r

there a site that tell witch media work for each DVD DRIVE !!!
    enjoy !!!!

Sorry for my poor english !!!
    :)
    http://membres.lycos.fr/zouu/Media_XBOX.xls

3. dennis2

dennis2 Guest

thanks for the tip. i have an xbox version 1.0 i think my dvd drive here is a thomson dvd-r. would using dvd-r with a violet writing surface destroy my xbox's lens just asking?

4. punqewe

punqewe Active member

i have had no problem with dvd+r on my samsung,but then again it still depends on what make of disk. Memorex,Maxell,Pine,General they seem to work fine.

5. AWSskater

AWSskater Guest

thanks a lot you guys for your help

6. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

"samsung good on SOME dvd-r"?
    I have yet to find a dvd-r my samsung DOESNT read!
    same goes for cd-r
    but yea dvd+r are a pain, MOST sammy drives read only a few brands of dvd+r
    Ive modded god knows how many xbox, and had all the drive types, and the samsung is by far the best, and to be honest, I reckon , as far as READING the disc goes, the Thompson is bettr than the philips. Although as far as data transfer speed to a pc,from a dvd, the philips is better than the thompson.
    the best discs to use, I reckon, are sony dvd-r OEM
    they read on ALL xbox drives. I get em off ebay, if you want the ebay user pm me
    Remember the guide sites are just that, a guide, not all xbox drives are created equal, even the same brands. BUT having tried countless drives,(and Im talking well over 100) there is no way on earth, that the thomspson drive is better than the samsung at reading any disc, except maybe dvd+r, I have had countless problems with dvdrw discs on a thompson, and the kbp/s transfer to the pc on a thompson is very poor, and the Thompson reliability is legendary for "dd errors".
    As far as discs go I can vouch for the sony-oem discs working on all of them

Why do you want dvd+r anyway? hell if it reads it, use it!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Ignorance isn't bliss.....It's just costly![/small]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  7. posterboy

posterboy Guest

I have a philips drive to so your saying that the best kind of disk to use it sony dvd-r

8. DynatyxXx

DynatyxXx Regular member

Okay.
    1.The thomson dvd drive is the worst.
    2.The Phillips dvd drive is good.
    3.the Samsung dvd drive is the best.Thou it can read everything,it cant read DVD+R.The DVD+R(digital versatile disc+ram) is diferent than the DVD-R(digital versatile disc-ram/without ram) and cuz of that +Ram it wont the dvd drive wont be able to read the disc except the latest xbox version.And DJboogie we know each other so we´re friends.Try to clean the lens and make sure the ide is okay.

9. GuRuGeek

GuRuGeek Member

I just ordered a mod chip for my xbox, i have a v1.0 xbox with a thompson drive.. I hope it works out and reads both dvd-r and dvd+r.. well see tho.

Does anyone know which dvd+r work on the thompson drive?

I have a NEC 2500a dvd burner.

10. therapy

therapy Member

i have a phillips drive and havent had had any trouble reading +r or -r with any brand of disc, although i would recomend using discs with go4 or go5 dye in them, get a few light scratches on the violet coloured dye and your game, film or whatever may have shot it.
    i have found ri-disc and datawrite yellows and tangos to be the best, all of these have g04 or g05 dye in them, in most cases you can tell by looking at the dye and it should be a very deep purple colour or load up dvd decryptor and insert blank and it will tell you the manufacturer, type of dye and write speed etc, there at a good price too unlike buying a branded disc like sony or whoever.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2004