1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox breaks after playing halo 3?? help please!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by 2lads, Sep 30, 2007.

1. 2lads

2lads Member

sons had 360 since xmas 06 so its not a year old,,,,,have had absolutely no problems with it,, hes saved hard and got halo 3 on wed last week, played on it for 3 hours and the picture fragmented, pixellated, and froze.. tried again, and the screen went as tho you were viewing it from black vertical blinds, lines of the game and lines of black....... i fiddled with the cables at the back and turned it on, tried a different game,,,, and it was ok for a few mnutes and as soon as the game had loaded, bang,, funny picture, tried halo3 again, perfect,,, then bang , picutre went, now we have one segment of the red ring and a ER 74, ( could have been 72), ive googled lots of info but im hoping you lot can answer,,,,, hubbys hoping it was the tv cos he wants a flat hd etcetc one!!any advice really appreciated
    ta

2. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

this was off another site

E72: unkown

E74: AV cable error... There is a problem with the AV cable, try using a different AV cable. If the cable is known to be working then there is a 90% chance it's a scaler chip problem (the "ANA" or "HANA" chip connected directly to the AV cable) in rare cases it is the GPU.

you still have warranty so if you cant find an answer just send it back to them

3. 2lads

2lads Member

excuse the ignorance in all things technical,,,,,but what is the scaler chip?? ill try the av connections,,,

4. batespcm

batespcm Guest

scaler chip is a chip inside meaning send it off to microsoft your in warranty

5. 2lads

2lads Member

cheers , im really hoping its the AV cable,, i did a bit of dusting and moved the xbox back,,,,,,, but i undid the cables and plugged them back,,,,,,,,everything was fine, kids ecstatic, cos mom had fixed it,,,,,, till it loaded.......would this happen if it was modified??

6. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

it could still happen even if it was modified.

7. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

try another av cable not the same one.
    does the game load fine and then the picutre messes up or does it just mess up strait away
    press av lol

if you another av cable and it still doesnt work then just send it back to microsoft they will fix it for free

8. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

remove the cable and wipe the metal area down is this doesnt work then just find a substitute for it and if that dont work then off to microsoft becuase then it will likely be something on the inside of the xbox 360. but you should get it fixed with a new av cable

9. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

dont forget to wipe down the metal area of the av pack with a dry cloth

10. 2lads

2lads Member

tried the av cable thingy,,,,,,, says definatley E74,, gonna check the warranty cos the web site we got it from says depends on what cover you bought?????? thought it had a bod standard 12 months,,,,,, so if its 6months,and even if microsoft have extended it, can i get it fixed .time to ring em i think

11. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

yeah so you did change the av cable with a replacement and it still wasnt working. next step microsoft

12. 2lads

2lads Member

oops no i meant id undone the cables,,,,,, re fitted them, even hoovered the xbox and power pack thing as it was a tad dusty,( yes im blonde),,,, hubs gonna see someone from shop we got it from,,,, but dont know if we got a 6 month warranty or what?,let you know

13. immy_2k

immy_2k Regular member

if you wish to try it try it just buy another av cable for your xbox 360 and see if that helps you if not then just take it back to the shop or send it off to microsoft they will sort it for you

14. emachine

emachine Guest

Did you flash the drive? If not just call Microsoft and let them fix it...

15. 2lads

2lads Member

erm i havent............but i have a feeling it could have been?? as ive said im not that techie minded,,,,, ?? it had a 6 month warrantee from the shop we had it from??which is now out.......