1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox dead. Help!

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by MindsEye, Mar 13, 2005.

1. MindsEye

MindsEye Member

I haven't done anything but take it apart and put it back together. It is not modded, I was going to but didnt have time to solder the chip, so I put it all back together and it started, but then said "your xbox needs service", I took it aqpart again and put it back together and I got nothing. I lifted up the mainboard a bit and held it in the air on one side and it started.

I couldnt leave it like that so I put the mainboard carefully in its place and plugged it in and nothing again...

since then I tried every possible position even taking it totally out and holding it totally suspended in the air and nothing.

totally dead.. nada... zilch.

any ideas?

Can it be that it needs to be grounded to even start (I am now referring to the little metal grounds that push on the contact area on the bottom of the mainboard.) I cant find any fuse, though the tolerance of a supposed fuse is listed on the power unit board. And since it started again that one time I am doubting it is a fuse... I have a hard time seeing how I could have destroyed the mainboard... but it is definatly not starting...

I even tried another power cord... no go.

any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

///MindsEye

2. modster

modster Regular member

make sure that your ide cable is plugged into the motherboard, harddrive, dvd rom tightly. check all other plugs.

3. fixmyxbox

fixmyxbox Member

Do you know what version of motherboard you have? If not let me know and I can help you find out. The reason I ask is v1.6 has a flaw. Maybe someone else know why the flaw exists but there is a transistor that needs to be replaced. This problem is only on the version 1.6 motherboards. Let me know which version you have. If you end up needing any parts check out my site http://www.fixmyxbox.com

[​IMG]
    [bold]$49 DVD Drives / $9 Controllers / $13 Cases / $65 Motherboard-HDD[/bold]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  4. modster

modster Regular member

fixmyxbox,

are you sure? I have a version 1.6 and my xbox is A OK before and after I have removed the motherboard.

I have not heard any about this transistor.

5. fixmyxbox

fixmyxbox Member

Modster....I'm sure. I will find a link to more info later tonight!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  6. MindsEye

MindsEye Member

Isn't xbox basically a pc? would be wierd if the IDE cable and HD power would make it not start.

I will try it though.. you never know with MS.

On a pc as long as there is a .5v draw on the molex that goes from the power supply to the mainboard it will start (the power supply that is). The "Fuse" on the power supply to the xbox is some wierd square yello box deal... dont look like its openable.. I guess I gotta solder it off... they put some rubbery goo everywhere.. gotta cut it all away from the fuse first..

Will try the IDE and HD/DVD power and all first though.

thanks so far!

///MindsEye