1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox deconstruction difficulties

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by alanka, Mar 14, 2005.

1. alanka

alanka Guest

I bought an xecuter 3.0 for my xbox and it sounds pretty easy to install but i cant take my xbox apart. I have gotten to where i need to remove the dvd-rom drive and the hard drive. I cant remove any of the ide cables, the power cable or this yellow cable connecting to dvd-rom drive, does anyone know a special way to remove them? It would be greatly appreciated.

2. modster

modster Regular member

what do you mean? is the cable glued?

you should be able to just pull the ide and power cables off the motherboard.

3. alanka

alanka Guest

I don't know what is with the cable, my fingers have impressions from trying to pull it out. i can barely grab the ide cable, but the power cable won't come out or budge at all. I don't know whats with my xbox but it must hate me or something.

4. modster

modster Regular member

sounds like the cables are glued. Every xbox that I have opened, the cables came apart with ease.

5. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

You've got to be joking!!! I can't beleive that they are glued, they should come out with ease. How stupid is that...Glued??? I hope that's not the case for you alanka!!

6. modster

modster Regular member

well, if it's not possibly glued... then let's hear your explanation of why he can't unplug the cables?

What else can keep the cables from being unplug with ease? well....

Last edited: Mar 18, 2005
  7. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

I have no explanation....I just never heard of anything that crazy?? Why would anyone try to glue the ide and power cable when they come out with relative ease?? I guess he would have to cut the ide cable and power cables to remove the drives if he can't find another way to remove them. Sounds crazy but what else is there to do?? I wasn't being a smartass or anything Modster!! Someone had to be really bored to do something like that!!

8. alanka

alanka Guest

Yah they were glued. I'm trying to trade xbox's w/ a friend of mine. Unfortunately he had a verson one also and i don't want to mess with the soddering. I have two other people who i could try. I cant believe it was glued. The manufacturer must be stupid.

9. mickrick

mickrick Member

I've never heard of this before. Are you sure they weren't just a very tight fit? I've had to remove some power connectors with pliers before because they were so tight.

10. catale

catale Member

i have modded around 30+ xbox's. Ranging from 1.0 - 1.6b's and never have i come across a glued ide, or power lead (or any other for that matter).
    a good hand shandy is what you need, build up those muscles, then have another go at it.

11. alanka

alanka Guest

i am debating whether it is worth the effort to excersize my had. It is already built up from my essays at school. I dont want to accidently hurt my Xbox.

12. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

use a small standard (flat head) screwdriver and pry the plugs out, keep the screwdriver straight up and down while you do it and you wont do any damage. they are not glued (assuming you are the first one to open the xbox), they are just well seated.

13. catale

catale Member

anyway you dont need to unplug them both ends.
    just pull one end out...
    'ah if life was so simple!!'

if thats too hard then just leave them plugged in... it just makes it a bit difficult to manoeuvre the board around, while you solder.