1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox doesn't load OS; Modchip Problem?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by iOXeR, Apr 26, 2005.

1. iOXeR

iOXeR Member

Just the other day my xbox started to fail booting up the OS. I have Slayer's and it was working fine for months, but now it won't when the mod chip is enabled. It just restarts about 3 times, then the xbox light on the front blinks. I don't think it is a problem with the xbox, because I turned off the mod chip and the xbox loaded to the one error screen it usually would load to, without restarting numerous times. So I think it might be a problem with the chip or with the solder points. The chip is an Xecuter 2.6. Has there been or is there a "firmware" upgrade for the chip? Has anyone else had this problem? I would rather fix the chip or the solder points instead of buying a new chip. Thanks

2. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

it definitely sounds like a chip problem, you might want to check the solder points.

3. mdsup

mdsup Guest

i would check your solder points...they do go bad sometimes.

4. iOXeR

iOXeR Member

I was pretty sure it was a modchip problem...

Anyway, what is the best way to fix the solder points? Should I get some solder braid and remove it fully or just reheat it so it re-adheres? Thanks for the replies.

5. mdsup

mdsup Guest

i would go with some braid and a solder sucker to remove the solder and then resolder...that way you don't have huge mounds of solder on your joints...but you can try to just touch up the solder points first to see if that works.

6. iOXeR

iOXeR Member

Some good news, and some bad news. I re-soldered all of the points, so I could check that off the list, and what do you think happens? It still doesn't work. AAAAAAAA! It's kind of frustrating... Anyway, I think I'm going to flash the modchip, but since I did this about a year ago, I forgot how. Any websites that could show me the way? All the ones I've tried haven't helped me so far.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  7. deezp1

deezp1 Regular member

so what is happening now? is it FRAGing (flashing Red and Green Lights) or is giving you an error code?

8. iOXeR

iOXeR Member

It's still "FRAGing".

9. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Any updates on this yet?

Did you check your d0 wire? This is the wire that allows you to switch from your original m$ dash to your other dash (such as EVOX)

What ver Xbox are you running?

Most of the time when an Xbox starts doing the 3x reboot, the mod chip needs to be reinstalled. But I guess I have seen this on a unmodded console once, but anyways, check your points once again.

10. iOXeR

iOXeR Member

By the d0 wire, do you mean the one that has the switches on it? I'm assuming this is the one that you're talking about, but I'm not sure how to tell if it needs to be replaced. The lights work on it and when I flip the switch to get to the normal dash, it allows me to do this. To the best of my knowledge it's a ver 1.2 or 1.3, but I'm not totally sure. Thanks for the reply, I thought this might have been a dead end for me.

11. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Here is a pic of where the d0 is connected to on your motherboard,

[​IMG]

Try resoldering that wire to the point.

12. iOXeR

iOXeR Member

Thanks for the reply!!! It now works, but it turned out that part of the d0 wire was exposed and was touching another part of the motherboard, but had it not been for your knowledge, I would never have gotten it. THANKS

13. PimpDawg

PimpDawg Guest

Glad I could help you out!