1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox DVD drive in a computer

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by Desooper, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Desooper

Desooper Member

I have a question that may be stupid but I need to ask, can you take an Xbox DVD drive and put it into a copmuter and have it work, thanks.

2. E_Pizza

E_Pizza Regular member

well i know the ide bit on the drive is standard but the power input is not so unless you hardware mod it then no. Im sure it wouldnt work as it is designed to read xbox games too and is probably non standard and may need unlocked. This is because xbox games are written in a special way so they cant be read by a normal dvd rom drive. Even if you were to be sucessful the eject might not even work i myself have one lying around with a hd and had the idea but i thought its pointless anyways.

3. erkme73

erkme73 Member

The DVD drive in Xboxes are PC DVD drives. You can take it out and install in into your PC - no problem. The drive is not unique, and it has nothing to do with the ability to read a game disk. That is a function of the system bios.

4. cabbot

cabbot Member

so how do you do it then?

5. cabbot

cabbot Member

anyone?

6. erkme73

erkme73 Member

Do what?

7. cabbot

cabbot Member

use my xbox rom as dvd rom in pc...ive got a broke xbox

8. erkme73

erkme73 Member

Assuming you can open the XBox (you'll need #15 and #10 torx bits - if I remember correctly), you can simply unscrew the drive from its bracket. The power cable and IDE cable can then be removed. It is a standard drive, so as long as your jumper settings are correct (i.e. slave vs. master vs. cable select), your PC should pick up on the new hardware without any drivers.

9. cabbot

cabbot Member

ive already got it out....i took my harddrive out too months ago trying to use it but i cant unlock it....

10. erkme73

erkme73 Member

The HDD is a diff story. The DVD isn't/can't be locked.

11. hhamster

hhamster Member

I am also trying 2 connect a xbox dvd 2 a pc
    the IDE is the same and the samsung 605 apparently works with win xp altho i havent tested it yet
    the power connector is as followed the only thing stoppin me is that I dont know what 2 do with pins 4-8
    pin signal Direction description PIC Pin #
    1 +12V input 12 Volt DC supply.
    2 +5V input 5 Volt DC supply.
    3 GND input Ground.
    4 NEJECT input Normally high (+5V), active low ejects the tray. 7
    5 TRAY_OUT output High when the tray is out, low otherwise. 25
    6 CD_READY output High a CD is in the drive and data is ready; low otherwise. 26
    7 TRAY_IN output High when the tray is in; low otherwise. 27
    8 SER_DATA output Some kind of serial data stream; apparently not used by the Xbox. 28
    9 +12V input 12 Volt DC supply.
    10 +5V input 5 Volt DC supply.
    11 GND input Ground.
    12 GND input Ground.

12. hhamster

hhamster Member

just tryed it and the samsung sdg-605b/msx ver.B works on xp