1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox DVD drive questions.

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Jaffacake, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Jaffacake

Jaffacake Guest

Recently ive decided im going to buy an Xbox and as ive been reading this forum i thought i would ask a few questions before i did.

Ive seen some people talk about different DVD drives in the xbox's, whats the difference between these, are they different factory fitted dvd drives with different abilitys?
    Im most likely going to buy the Crystal Xbox and would eventually be backing up any games i purchase so i dont have to ruin the originals, would the crystal xbox play -/+ DVDs, which drive does it have?

Any help on this would be great, thanks =)

2. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

This is a common q, and has been answered quite a lot, but the thing is there isnt a REAL answer as each xbox is differnt in itself
    I had a thomson drive for my xbox, but got a samsung because it read cdr with ease, but my samsung drive DOESNT read dvd+r yet some do.
    It also depends on the media you use, FROM MY OWN preference, I have found memorex to be great, but that can change with differnt xbox drives.
    as far as I know (I could be wrong) I dont know of an xbox that WONT play dvd-r at all. No matter what xbox you get, and what drive it has, there will be SOME media it can play, it really depends what you want to do with it too, for backin up games to dvd-r just about any xbox will do , but may be more dependant on the media you use. IE some are more leniant than others
    Some prefere the philips xbox drive, some the samsung, even some prefere the thomson drive, but as you will find, in the forums, that people that own either, have a modded xbox and can make their backups.
    Actually the BEST thing to do if you want to play all kinds of media etc, is you hack your box and use the PC samsung drive and update the firmware.
    Personally, if you wanna backup your games, then you will be ok one way or another, with any