1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX FLASHES RED WHEN CHIP IS DISABLED

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by RTG-ARO, Jul 15, 2003.

1. RTG-ARO

RTG-ARO Member

HAVE AN XBOX with apple 3x mod and a 120gb hard drive back UP games installed on the hard drive work great.but when i turn my chip off I get RED LIGHT andi have 4977 bios i did not flash this chip the system needs service please contact customer service screen there is no error code AND IT WILL NOT PLAY MY ORIGINAL DISK.help must I change my hard drives everytime I wish to go live.or is there another way. PLEASE ADVISE

2. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

of course you cant go on live with a new hard drive in it!!! thats newbie shit!

to get your 120gb hard drive to work you have to enable your modchip so it can activate the drive! if you turn it off, it wont read it and wont accept it as the original hdd and it knows that your console has been opened in some way.

to go on live, either swap hdd with the original or just go out there and buy another unmodded xbox console.

3. bigdan

bigdan Member

Thats wrong I have a Matrix chip in my box and a WD 120 gb HDD and I go on live all the time. You CAN go on live with an non-OEM HDD, but your mod-chip must be disabled. Also, to sign on to live your box must be running the Microsoft Dashboard not a hacked one, and in order to do this your replacement HDD must be locked (you can find tutorials at xbox-scene.com) Also, when your mod-chip is disabled and your are running the Microsoft Dash your xbox will only recognize 8 gb of your HDD, just like it was the OEM drive when you Sorry that other guy is spreading misinformation and bitching about your question "newbie shit." HaHa he probably owns two xboxes one thats modded and one for live. Hope this helps.

4. G4MERZO1D

G4MERZO1D Regular member

hey sorry bout that info m8

no i dont run 2 xboxs btw! :]
    thats what i got told by somebody i know but i guess he is wrong too, thats new info to me so thanx!!!

so if i have my modchip fitted, but on evox click to my MS Dashboard then put my original game in and go on live that is ok? i will not get banned?

Cheers again and sorry also!!

5. punqewe

punqewe Active member

I thought that the red light was a 'video problem'

6. Zero-X

Zero-X Guest

G4 yes u will get banned. Say you have your chip on, then it goes to Evox and then you go to MS dash. Then u turn off the chip u think you beat the system. I thought I could do that too. But you can't, when u boot up your Xbox with the chip on it loades the hacked bios into the memory. So if you turn off the chip and go Live the bios are still there and they will see that so you will get banned. What you can do is lock the up-graded HDD and start the xbox with the chip off. Then and only then you can go Live without being banned. I plan to lock my 120gig HDD but i'm still reading how to do it. I don't want anything to go bad. My turn to ask a question. Can something go bad when i try to lock my HDD? If so how bad could it get and will i be able to fix it? Also I got slayers V2.1 and it has a locking tool in it is that one a good program to use? Thank you

7. Zero-X

Zero-X Guest

Oh yeah i forgot about you RTG-ARO i'm still a noob but but i've beed reading alot so i might be right or mabey not but here's what i think. some one correct me if i'm wrong. I'm thinking your 120gig hard drive is not locked and that you have installed Evox or some other dashboard. So when you boot up your Xbox with the chip on it will look for Evox or nexgen so on so on and start it. If you don't have another dashboard install it will go to the MS dashboard. From there it will look like a rugaler Xbox. You can play games,music,dvd moives everything but go Live cause you will get banned. See if you boot up your Xbox with the chip off the chip dosen't send the EvoX or X2 4977 bios. These bios are what makes the Xbox read and use a non factary Hard Drive. See a non-moded Xbox when it boots-up it sends a message to the HDD saying something like, "I'm Xbox 1-800-468-4475",(1-800-hot-girl) lol^_^ lol. So then the hard drive says "yeah thats the secrect password use can use me now". When u have a up-graded hard drive in the xbox and u try to boot it up the xbox will send the message. The new hard drive will say "what the hell are you talking about 1-800-468-4475, whats that some type of food. Is that pizza Mmmmmm pizza". So then the Xbox will know thats not the orginal hard drive and it will not boot up. You'll get that System needs service please contect customer service massage. See thats why you can't play original disk now. I never gotten that error so have you tryed booting up with the chip on agian? Does it start with the chip on now? I think it should, but i'm not sure if it will. If it dosn't start up don't know how i can help you. I'm sure someone esle can. But if it dose please repley and tell me if it did start up agian. But if you want to go Live you'll need to lock your HDD i think i covered that in my earler post. But i'm still reading up on that and getting as much info as i can. Before i do it to mine. See if you lock the up-graded Hard Drive when the Xbox sends the message the up-grade will look and say the same thing the orginal hrad drive will say and work just as fine. *NOTE* when booting into a locked hrad drive with out or having the chip off the Hard drive will look like a orginal hard drive. That means you'll only have 8-10 gig(even if it's a 120gig Hard Drive, so you won't see your game back-ups, apps, and data saved on your F partion. Also for Live you need the orginal Xbox game, no burnt copy cause you need a chip to boot it and i explanied why you can't use a chip. Well i wrote alot hops that helps if not sorry i couldn't help you. Mabey it will help someone understand xbox HDD locking. Also i When i wrote abot the xbox talking to the Hard drive i know in reall life it's just code the is sent but i wrote it in a easy way anypne can understand. So please don't yell at me for that. I'm out

Zero-X

8. 1800gumby

1800gumby Member

your on the right track zero-x but there are a few things you left out. Firstly i havent heard of anyone having any problems locking their hd's with config magic its the program every1 uses cause apparently there can be someprobs with slayers. oh and rtg how did you set up your new hdd? if you've used sayers 2.0 you'll have to do a few changes before its live capabile im not sure about 2.1 i couldn't find the download so i settled for 2.0. tell us which version of slayers u used or did u use some other program eg flash fxp and raw commands.

9. Zero-X

Zero-X Guest

K thanx 1800gumby. So confgMajic will not F up my HDD or Xbox? Also what do you mean slayers have probelms. I used 2.1 and can you tell me what problems it has? Are they major or minor? Also CAn they be fixed? Last thing i thought with the chip off and booting in to the MS dash(not the hacked one) You beable to go live with no problems. So If i installed Slayers i'll need to config it to go live what setting do i need to turn on or off? Thanx

10. 1800gumby

1800gumby Member

k i'll explain how to set up the dashboards under the correct file names which will work aslong as you have either d6 eject fix bios or 4977. go into boxplorer and into c: go down xboxdash.xbe and select it if you drop back to the origonal dash then your already set for xbox live and all you have to do is lock your hd. if it dosent then change the name of that file to evoxdash.xbe if you've already got an evoxdash.xbe change it to anything (is used zboxdash.xbe but it dosent matter)
    now find the file msdash.xbe and change its file name to xboxdash.xbe and thats pretty much it. Because the bioses search for evoxdash.xbe firsty they should just boot from that dashboard and your xbox will find the origonal dash when booting with out your mod enabled. hope that helps you out any other problem feel free to ask for help.