1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox games on computer

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Evanx123, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Evanx123

Evanx123 Member

Everyone says that you can mod your xbox and use ftp to transfer games from your xbox to your computer and that's the only way. Instead of that couldn't you do a raw copy of a xbox DVD-ROM with a program like cloneDVD to your computer? I know that xbox games are decoded so you would need a program that could decode the DVD-ROM into a normal file format. Does anyone know a program that can do this? I already know that xbox DVD-ROMs are written backwards.

2. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

this question realy belongs in the xbox forum and the reason why everyone ftp's there files from the xbox to there pc is that a pc dvd drive can't read the xbox disc

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Thread moved :)

4. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

The only way is to ftp them to your pc and then turn it into an xiso so that your xbox will read it.

Pc drives WILL NOT read xbox games and probably never will.

5. Nephilim

Out of curiosity why is that? The last console I owned was an N64 (I think, or something like that) so needless to say I'm not current with the latest consoles :p

6. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Well some people say they are pressed backwards, some say there are 2 layers, the 1st one being just the video that you see if you try and copy it on your pc second one being the game which cant be read on any pc drives.
    Others say that it has a different file system, nobody really knows exactly why.

7. Nephilim

Very interesting. Thank you sir :)

8. Evanx123

Evanx123 Member

I think that the files on an xbox game are in a different file format and the DVD-ROM is pressed backwards. Apparently someone made their DVD drive go backwards and it showed up some files. Also certain programs can recognise the so many gigabytes of data there is on these disks, instead of the 11MB of DVD content telling you to insert the disk into an xbox.

9. solo61

solo61 Member

why play xbox games on the pc...a pc has its own world and sometimes in my mind xbox should stay xbox and pc should stay pc ..i have a 2xboxs( 1 the green halo editon) 2ps2s 1 gamecube and 3 pcs and two laptops..i leave everything in its place

10. vpgtd

vpgtd Member

well the xbox games are dual layered but they can be read by a normal pc drive. for the fact that the xbox uses a pc drive not a special one. and they are also a different file system the xbox o/s is a fatX file system and the games generally use the same file system. but u can copy the to a normal computer that has any type of file system using norton ghost. i have been able to copy the exe files from my xbox to my pc and use my normal pc drive to read the files. it is a bit complicated to do since the conversion takes a long time.

more about the games disk: they are a dual layered dvd rom. the disk itself can stored 9 gygs of info so if u have a dvd rom that is capable of reading the second layer u can get the games.

more on the xbox: you can mod the xbox to do a lot of other things then play dvds and xbox games. ps2 games and if done right some game cube games i have tested do work. this was all b4 i turned the xbox into a pc. yes i did say pc it is running windows 98. but it is easier to install a linux o/s on it for there is less hardware modifcations to do. and the front port on the xbox are nothing more then usb ports with a different plug. i would not recommend anyone to try and mod their xbox unless you have a large amount of technical exp. since there is surface soldering to do and it is not easy since the bios chip is were u need to solder.

the bios chip:
    modding for linux: there are 2 pins that just have to be bridged.
    modding for windows: the bios chip need to be replaced completily. do to the fact the bios in the xbox monitor the information gonig through it and they shut down any atempt to hack the system.

11. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Well i think your the only person that has got ps2 and gamecube games to work on xbox.

I dont think nobody on here has done that and i dont think you have personally.

And i havent heard of anyone doing your way of backing up of xbox games work yet else everyone would be doing it??

You may have but you aint got ps2 games on an xbox.

12. vpgtd

vpgtd Member

i am not backnig up the games just to let u kno i still buy the games legally. i am just able to play them on two different objects. the only reason i am able to run ps2 games on my xbox is due to the fact that i am not using the file system of xbox as i said befor i am running windows on it. so i have the exe files for the xbox and a ps2 emulator on it. Anything can work as long as the person is willnig to spend the time on it and have the right stuff to do the job. the bios from an xbox are not in it i am using award bios. and in order for the backing up of the xbox files u will need 2 hard drives. one with a o/s on it and norton ghost and the other is to be formatted but have nothing on it. so by doing this u can also put a larger hdd inside of the xbox. and most ppl on this site are novice in modding things well when u have a few degrees in engineering then i will listen to what u think personally.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  13. Evanx123

Evanx123 Member

I've never heard of windows on the xbox and this thread is about not having to hack your xbox.

14. neo7333

neo7333 Guest

the new exbox next pc is going to be a waste of money.. It just like a regular computer that plays pc games. why the hell would they put xbox in fornt of it. clearly im missing something

15. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

So you are essensially saying that a pc can run ps2 games with an emulater?

Wrong, a pc cannot run any full ps2 games, only a few demos so an xbox running windows cannot run ps2 games.

You are the only person who has said this and i've never heard it before.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  16. Nephilim

I can run Atari and Coleco cartridges on my PC ;)

17. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

you could have said that lol.

I will re-phrase it :)

18. andybrown

andybrown Guest

I wear pink panties.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2004
  19. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Well i havent heard of anyone on here who has heard of this or has done it.

People who claim to have done/seen it havent really got any valid proof so until then it remains unanswered.

I know there are emulators out there but they play very few games/demos.

Where is this hacked firmware then?

20. andybrown

andybrown Guest

Well you've just heard of 2 people on here who have done it.

and your right i dont have any proof, but if you look into how the hardware works on an xbox/PS2/GC/P.C then you'd realise that someone who understands it well could make this happen with time and a lot of effort.

i've only ever seen the good emulators on IRC channels try them.

as for hacked firmware, just do a google search for it.