1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xBox Games with a Modded 360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Adolphous, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Adolphous

Adolphous Member

Hey all, I have searched forum after forum for answers to my questions, so I hope you won't be to disturbed in trying to help me out.

I have a fairly new xbox 360 ( replaced from the red lights of death ) my DVD drive in my xBox is a BenQ which has updated firmware to play backup games.

I would like to know about the possibility of backing up my own games, of course, I believe I know the reason why this isn't here, but maybe someone reading this would be nice enough maybe to drop me an email with the process.

I have come across a couple of different options and would like to know if any of these are valid or workable, and maybe get some information on them.

1. Hotswap, I got the hotswap tutorial from 360-hq.com and I got everything working except I didn't own a DVD thats larger than 8 gigs. I tried a 7.97 and kept getting a data socket error and of course the iso image didn't rip correctly.

Obviously these postings are a couple of years old and it makes me wonder if newer hardware/software isn't vailable. Also on this site you can no longer access the ss files that are apparently necessary to make the modded xbox read the backed up games.

Is the hotswap still a vaiable option for backing up games, or is that out dated and replaced by some new process. Please drop a link to a hotswap tutorial if there exist one that is current and usable.

2. Connecting to my xbox through my router. I have seen many tutorials about connecting my xbox to my computer and using FTP to transfer the 360 iso games to my computer.

My question here is in order for this to work do I need a modded dashboard, if the answer is yes, where do I go to figure out how to mod my dashboard.

3. Connecting my 360 directly to my computer via a sATA cable. This way seems to make the most sense to me, however, as of this point I have not been in a situation to try this method. If I crack the xbox open ( which I have already done to mod it ) can I connect the 360 DVD drive to my mobo via sata cable and create an iso image from the xbox dvd drive?

Any additional information on any of these options would be much appriciated.

Also, how about a place to download backups, I have not found anything using torrents?

If you feel like you need to email me to give me this information please drop a message in the thread and I'll contact you.

Thanks,

2. SL7Rips

SL7Rips Regular member

use a Kreon Drive its the easiest and fastest way to do it

3. Adolphous

Adolphous Member

Kreon drive, is that a hard drive, a dvd rom drive what?

Where does one get said "Kreon" drive, or is that just a Samsung DVD with a different firmware ( is there anyway I could get a specfic answer ) I have enough general garbage from all the other forums which don't actually post to this topic.

Also, does that mean that I can drop my purchased 360 games in this Kreon drive, rip an image and burn them to a dvd? I hardly believe its that easy, but then one would never know from the total helpfulness of the response.

4. wabashman

wabashman Active member

kreon drive is a samsung PC dvd-ROM. can get it from ebay, usually comes preflashed with either kreon .81 or 1.00. will probably run around 50-60 bucks i believe. there are several different versions of the drives,
    sh-d162c (ide)
    sh-d163a (sata version)
    there are two others that i cannot remember, newer drives, usually cheaper, just google it and you'll find them.

5. SL7Rips

SL7Rips Regular member

the kreon drive is a dvd-rom drive.. you can get them off of ebay

and yes it dose mean u can drop your purchased games right into the drive and rip the game to your PC Hard drive in about 10 Minutes with XBOX BACKUP CREATOR then just use imgburn to copy it to a Verbatim DL Dvd.

6. |CL|

|CL| Regular member

I can guarantee you have never seen a tutorial on how to ftp a 360 game to a 360 HD (or the other way around). The xbox 1 for xbox 1 games yes, but not the 360. It's just not possible with the 360.

And yes, the most hassle free way, IMO, to back up your games is to use the samsung drive with kreon firmware.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  7. Adolphous

Adolphous Member

Okay, awesome now were getting somewhere, so I have learned so far that you cannot connect the xbox 360 to the pc ( I had my doubts since the tutorials were from years ago ), but its good to know, going to save me a lot of hassle and frustration.

I also know that if need be, I can buy one of the Kreon drives and backup games straight off the 360 games, which is also good to know.

I just bought a dual layer burner at Tiger Direct, I believe this number is an SH-S183L I don't suppose this is one of those ellusive drives to which I can burn xbox games with is it?

Also, if I buy the Kreon D162D drives with which to back up my games, do I have to upgrade the firmware, or is the stock firmware usable for my purpose?

Also, what about my last option of voiding my warranty and connecting the xbox 360 DVD drive directly to my computer's motherboard?

8. wabashman

wabashman Active member

the drive you bought from tiger will burn games fine, it is what i use. however, IT CAN NOT READ GAMES. the drive you have bought from tiger is ONLY good for BURNING games. the drive you need to READ games is THIS ONE:

http://cgi.ebay.com/BEST-DEAL-SAMSU...oryZ3754QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

easiest way to get one is to buy it from ebay, as it will be preflashed with the kreon FW and all you will have to do is install it in your PC or an external enclosure.

also your warranty is already void from flashing your 360s firmware to play burn games, unless you were really careful when you took the seal off the first time. and its a waste of time to take the 360 apart and reflash it with the 0800 fw to back up the game, and reflash to whatever is currently on it.

9. Adolphous

Adolphous Member

Okay you talked me into it, I bought the drive. Is there anything else I need to know before I can start backing things up, or will it plug & play?

10. |CL|

|CL| Regular member

A hair dryer to the warranty sticker and carefully peeling it off with a razor,or anything with a fine point to get under the sticker while it's hot, does wonders in saving your warranty. :p

Is it wrong? Probably. But so is mass producing a defective console for years.

Edit revised: The sammy you buy needs the kreon firmware.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  11. SL7Rips

SL7Rips Regular member

Just plug it up and start ripping

Just download Xbox Backup Creator and IMGburn

And Get u Some Verbatim DL Dvds

12. wabashman

wabashman Active member

set the layer break correctly in imageburn....cane remember what the number is, so just do a google for it, or search on the forums here.

13. SL7Rips

SL7Rips Regular member

after XBC rips the Game Open The .DVD File With IMGburn, It Sets the layerBreak