1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox Hard Drive Replacement

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by sheri1983, Apr 11, 2004.

1. sheri1983

sheri1983 Member

A few questions.... (I really couldn't find definitive answers with extensive searching)

- I know there used to be a limit on the hard drive size, but this is now gone? How big of a drive can I use? I have X2.3blite+ with bios 4981.06.

- Is the lockable drive only important for Live or are there other implications when using a non-lockable drive?

thanks guys!

2. alas

alas Member

you can now use hdds larger than 137GB; afaik, have read some people use up to 300GB w/ no problems. in all likelihood, you can go beyond that (what is the biggest hdd capacity at present, anyway?) as the newer bioses have the capability for partioning the respective drives. as for your bios, you may want to check out the newest 4983 as it offers some improvements. can't give the exact details, so just go to xbins and get it from there. just to clarify, does your bios support a large f drive instead of creating a separate g? go for the ones w/ the g drive capability so in case your hdd gets corrupted, you're not stuck in a situation where all of your data would be wiped out in a single partition, in this case f.

regarding the hdd, i do know that the only SERIOUS implication on a non-lockable drive would be the inability to play Live.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  3. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

Also.. If you upgrade your hard drive you cannot boot from your original microsoft dashboard. It really doesn't matter though because you will upgrade the dashboard anyway.

Matt

4. kal

kal Member

the biggest hard drive was just created read some where on the net that somebody has just created a terabyte hard drive http://www.amdmb.com/#News-7765
    but its external think the biggest internal is 400 or 500 gigabytes

5. sheri1983

sheri1983 Member

Forgive my ignorance as I'm no expert on the subject, but can't you open up many external drives and find an IDE drive inside? I always thought you could just pull these apart and use them internally? 1TB internal HD in an Xbox? Awesome! I'm storing all my photos on my Xbox drive. How many could fit on a terabyte drive? Barbie says "Math Is Hard, But It Would Be A Bunch!". About a dollar a gigabyte... not too bad, really. If only I had an extra thousand lying around.... time to start looking for change under the sofa cushions!