1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox hard drive unlock error

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Knux56k, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Knux56k

Knux56k Member

I recently put a WD 60 gig hard drive in my xbox. After I got all of my old hard drive copied back over to the new one, I proceeded in locking the hard drive. I went through all the steps necissary in manually locking it and my computer showed it as locked. I put it in my xbox and it couldn't unlock the thing. I checked the number that evox generated and it was correct. Now i have no way to copy any files to the hard drive or unlock it. Everytime i put it in my computer and try to unlock it, it says "device not ready". What the $#%#%^&$&^*^$%&% do i do!!!???

2. wongie_jm

wongie_jm Regular member

I went through all the steps necissary in manually locking it and my computer showed it as locked

What did you mean when you said your computer showed it as locked? I used config magic app (that i uploaded into my hdd) to lock the hdd and had nothing to do with the computer. If you have all your original hdd files then you can probably reformat the new 60 gig hdd and try it again.

3. Knux56k

Knux56k Member

What do i format it with though? Ive tried formatting it with my xbox a thousand times, but it cant unlock the drive to do it. is there a program i can download for dos or something else?

4. Knux56k

Knux56k Member

5. wongie_jm

wongie_jm Regular member

Do you have anything important in the new hdd? If not then maybe you can delete all the files and install the hdd using the Hdd Install CD like when you first got the brand new hdd. Then try using Configmagic to lock your drive, instead of doing it manually.

6. bob_roony

bob_roony Member

I had that issue when I wanted to reclaim my Maxtor 120gig. I wanted to put it back in my pc but it wouldn't let me (winXP). I booted from a MaxBlast 3 disc (it supports ntfs for xp or nt OS's) and it fixed the drive for me. I unlocked the drive in the xbox before I put it in the pc and used the maxblast disky. The disk iso can be downloaded from the Maxtor website. Maybe WD (never had one) has software similar that can be used.