1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox harddrive and mod chip ...online?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by k2rid3r, Mar 21, 2005.

1. k2rid3r

k2rid3r Member

ya im new at this so lets go ... im upgradeing my new x box to a 160 or 200 gig hard drive i need to stick a mod chip in there i dont care how to do it ..solder or non idc....only thing is i want to play on xbox live any suggestions ?

yes it is going to be a brand new xbox... if i have the money i want to buy a 200 gig with a dvd rw drive so i can just burn the games after a while of them saved up. any prices on this stuff or better sugestions?

would this work on a xbox http://www.kanection.co.uk/product.php/459/1/

and does anyboddy know if this site is ligit
    for playing x box games online http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  2. fury_fire

fury_fire Member

Yeh your going to need a mod chip if you want the xbox to recognise the new hard drive.
    If you want to use xbox live, you will want to install a disable switch so you can use it. Also you will need to protect the HDD as this could also get you banned from Live.

3. mickrick

mickrick Member

1. Get an Xecuter3 modchip and Xapt3r solderless adapter. You will need to do some soldering for the v1.6 lpc rebuild board and the X3 front panel, which is a doddle to install.

2. Do you want to use the dvd writer in the xbox? If so, no you cannot do that. Xbox dvd drives are specifically manufactured for the xbox (Thompson, Philips and (rarely) Samsung manufacture them) and have a different power connector. They are just an ide drive in all other respects I believe. I have seen an adapter that is supposed to allow a normal pc dvd drive to work in an xbox, but I'm not sure if it's a wind up or not.

3. As long as you have never subscribed your xbox to Live before and you can lock the new hdd and disable the modchip to play on Live, then you should have no problems.

Oh, and I take it you mean you want the dvd writer to create legitimate backups of all your own original games and not your mates or rental copies!

4. retic

retic Member

I was wondering if i could play a backup game on xbox live with the mod chip turned off? And if not what would happen if i tried to play on live with the mod chip on.

5. mickrick

mickrick Member

1. No. You can play original games with the mod turned off though.

2. What do you think would happen?

6. bmurf

bmurf Member

this site, http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/ is legit. however, you can only play games that support system link. you can play backups as well.

7. mickrick

mickrick Member

But it's not Live though, which is what the original post asked.