1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX HDD Boot, Error Code 6

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by An631, May 3, 2007.

1. An631

An631 Member

I just recently softmodded my xbox and found that the old HDD didn't have enough room to fit everything i wanted to put on it (not even close), so i decided to format an old 160gb HD that i had sitting, collecting dust.

I wrote the linux.iso obtained from XBOX HDM 1.9, which had my eeprom, c and e drives.

i went through all the steps described, got my HD partitioned, formated, and had the E and C drives installed (along with a formatted f drive.)

i used the linux locking tools to lock my hd, success.

upon putting it back in the box i found when it booted, i got this error:

06 "Service Required. Call Customer Support"

so, i did some searching and found that my HD is not being unlocked during its post.

what to do?

My softmod was obtained via this webside, the SID.NAVE installer 4. I used splinter cell to softmod it also.

AS stated eariler, i didnt have any troubles with it, just the fact that during boot, my new HD will not unlock.

THE hd i was using is a Hitachi Deskstar, 160GB

Model No: HDT722516DLAT80

anyhelp would be much appriciated

2. An631

An631 Member

well i think i might have come up with a solution.

Un-Softmod my orginal xbox HD, and run the slayers evox disk (it wont run with my softmodded HD), and then, unplug my original HD and plug it into me other, larger HD. format it and build a new HD

why? well some of the other posts about HD's wont beable to unlock because its on a different motherboard caught my eye. If i format it on the xbox motherboard, i might beable to fix my problem

any feedback?

3. An631

An631 Member

well, i recently tried something i found on-line, didnt work.

what i did was:

unlocked the HD
    booted to MS DASH on working xbox hd
    played a song
    hotswaped HD's
    got ERROR 21
    rebooted

supposedly, its supposed to help an error 5, dont know how.

any ideas ( i have yet to try re-installing/reformatting my HD using my XBOX and EVOX slayer disk 2.7 )

4. corn

corn Guest

Does your xbox boot games? If so, then you can boot the softmod installer again, and hit Restore MS backup (or something like, haven't had error 21 in awhile).

5. An631

An631 Member

yes, my xbox orginal HD works fine, and the olny problem i am having is getting my other HD which i formatted with XBOX HDM 1.9 to unlock/lock on my xbox.

the error 21 was part of a method i heard of for getting rid of an error 5.

i am going to try running the mod uninstaller from the game disk today, maybe that will solve my problems (i dont own the game, i rented it to do the softmod, so im going to have to re-rent it.)

6. corn

corn Guest

Wait, do you physically have error 21? If so, then run the mod installer again, if not, I don't know, because I have never upgraded my HDD.

7. An631

An631 Member

no, the error 21 was caused by something i did willingly to try and fix a problem. not getting it anymore at all, no worries :D

8. corn

corn Guest

Grats man. Hope its works for you.

9. An631

An631 Member

well, i tryed it, and it failed. it wont boot off the cd i made (slayer 2.7 evox). dunno why.

10. An631

An631 Member

more bad news.

since my last post, i tried a few different things to reformat my xbox.
    I tried to format it through FTP, and through XBOX HDM a 2nd time

But i was unable to due to the fact that it was already formated.

So i whiped the partition tables, and tried to re-format it.

didnt work.

now i have a 160gb paper weight.

im going to retry this with a 60gb hd, maybe that will work when i run it through xbox hdm 1.9

11. corn

corn Guest

I really can't help you much, because I honestly never have upgraded my HDD.