1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX Internet Connection Question

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by mechicken, Jan 20, 2008.

1. mechicken

mechicken Member

OK, here's my question:
    My pc is hooked up to my uncle's wireless router next door via a WiFi card and its antenna. I am sort of a noob to some computer related stuff but am, in general, computer savvy. Anyways, I need to know if it's possible to connect a XBOX to an Ethernet cable, to my pc, without a router or modem in my room. And, if I would be better off setting it up to be wireless or getting a reciever/router thing.

Thank you if you can answer this question(s).

2. mtdew4me

mtdew4me Member

Hey Mechicken , I know it is possible to connect your xbox to your PC. I think you will need something called a crossover cable(thats what I had to use in the past to do it), which I think is the samething as an xbox system link cable(its NOT the same thing as an ethernet cable but it can be purchased pretty much anywhere). You will also need an unused ethernet port which I assume you have one since you are wireless and therefore probably not using the one on your computer for your internet. Now here is where Im not 100% sure on but I have done this method before a while ago - 1.open up your control panel 2.click on "Network Connections" 3.double click on the "wireless Network Connection" 4.click on the "Properties" button 5. click on the "Advanced" tab 6.check the box that says "Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection" Im pretty sure that was all you had to do. May be forgetting something small but with a little more searching you should be able to get it. There is another method called bridging your connections, which was a little more complicated to do. If you can do it the first way I described, the ICS = Internet Connection Sharing way, its way easier. hope that helps a little. If I remeber anything else I will post. good luck

3. mechicken

mechicken Member

That all was great except for having to change to classic view(I have XP) and that button didn't show in #6.