1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox live acting up because of time warner's dhcp stuff. HEEEELP

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by beachwad, Mar 7, 2007.

1. beachwad

beachwad Member

ok so THIS is really pissing me off.
    im not really into any 1337 talk or any crap and i dont spend hours and hours studying computer language and knowhow. so this is where i'm stumped.
    i just got roadrunner *big deal....* and now when i try to connect to xbox live, it says some crap about my dns addresses not working because they're being assigned by my DHCP or DCHP watever. so i cant connect to xbox live on either my 360 or my regular xbox and i just would like to edited by ddp time warner.... the wack job that installed my roadrunner and cable etc didn't seem very smart and was some short little mexican/chinese dude who couldn't complete a few words without studdering and scratching his head and i had to finish for him... so i dont trust them at all. yall seem to be computer wiz-like ppl so im asking yall instead.
    is there a way to get around this whole dhcp crap. because i didn't really mind manually inputting the new ip addresses and subnet masks and gateways and such. or is there a way to tell xbox live that it's being run by dhcp?
    MUCHO APPRECIATION IF U HELP GUYS!
    plz.
    it's frustrating me and if it keeps being edited by ddp ill rip my modem outta the wall and throw it in the street and watch ppl run over it, or smash it myself with a bat... did that to my last hp all in one printer because it kept giving me errors so dont think i dont mean that.
    PLZ HELP

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  2. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

I will try and help you with the only condition is not using the word gay as an adjective. Stuff being "gay" is just too immature sounding for me. But anyways..

I assume you're not using a router. If you hook an ethernet cable that was previously connected to something else (your PC) directly to the 360 you need to power cycle the modem. Unplug it, wait 30 seconds and then turn it back on. When it syncs up, turn on the 360 and see if it connects.

3. beachwad

beachwad Member

mk sorry about that. just got really ticked off because ive been trying to figure this out on my own for a few days now and just want to blow something up :D
    anyways,
    mk, i tried that and it indeed did not work. i did it exactly as you described it etc and nothing.
    is there something that i need to enter that i havent already, like on the test xbox live connection screen or something, and yes im just using a strait modem and switching cords every time i wish to get on xbox live, i used to not have to do that with my dsl modem but i have to on this lame roadrunner one. anything anybody can think of off the top of their head?

4. beachwad

beachwad Member

anybody else? kinda in the dark here and i would like to play xbox live. plz help here

5. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

I got roadrunner. Before I picked up a router and had it running straight through the roadrunner modem I had to cycle the power.

- All the connection settings for the 360 are still on automatic.
    - Power off the modem.
    - Connect net cable to 360 and modem.
    - Power on 360.
    - Power on modem.
    - Wait about 2 minutes.

Got on Live fine. Became a hassle, though, so I picked up a cheap modem.

On a side note, I gotta say I like RR's newgroups because of unlimited downloads, full speed, and decent retention.

6. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

I know with my DSL modem I had to change my router settings to PPPOE instead of automatic but with my cable modem I have to set it to automatic instead of a static ip to get everything to work. But since you're not using a router, which you really need... It has to be something.. Do you have to enter a username/password to log in to your internet? If so, then add these settings to the 360. I can't think of much else except what I and other people have offered.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

title & post edited.
    disconnect both power & cable to modem for 10+ seconds while having connected xbox or xbox360 turned off. reconnect modem & power up consol

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  8. beachwad

beachwad Member

yea so i got it after 'refreshing' or what yall said like 3 times. thnx guys, is there a way to avoid the whole refresh every time? like when i get another router will i ever have to do this again? thnx

9. theridges

theridges Guest

do you have a computer near by???
    you could the the modem into the computer and get all the DNS Settings....
    and then input everything manually it might work better...

and no when you get a router you will not have to do this everytime :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2007
  10. Smurff

Smurff Regular member

assuming your isp isn't pricks and make u pay for additional IP addresses.... (god damn charter)

11. fgamer

fgamer Guest

I also have Roadrunner and I don't have to change any settings. I have a Linksys Router with 2 computers and my Xbox 360 hooked up to it and it assings IP addresses to all of them without a fuss, but keep in mind that you may need to disconnect the power from your cable modem after hooking the LAN cable to the Xbox 360 and or PC's and then plug the power back into the cable modem.