1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox live error message

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by dossie, Nov 9, 2004.

1. dossie

dossie Regular member

hi

i just go the "Your Xbox console cannot communicate with Xbox Live because the software or hardware may have been modified" message through Live, and this might be a stupid question but does it mean that i got banned from live?

i do have an modchip and it has been working perfectly with Live for ages now, i also have an 40gb hdd.

yesterday i put in halo 2 to play on live and it worked but i had to update first, i then played most of last night with no problems and this morning i tried to go back on and it gave me that message...could the update be the problem?

Thanks for any help!

2. dossie

dossie Regular member

if this does mean that i got banned,is there any way that i can get back on Live, without having to get a new eeprom or getting a new xbox?

again any help appreciated!!

3. MikeDDR

MikeDDR Regular member

There's no other ways. You'll need to get a new EEPROM.

4. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

Yup you're banned...same exact thing happened to me last night...it's cuz of that stupid azz new Xbox Live 3.0 update that they make you install, i think they're checking bioses AND harddrives now...cuz i never had a problem with Live up until this morning when i tried to log on and got the same message you did...

5. Rayan

Rayan Member

Hello everyone...

Yesterday I got the same message...

I remember the last time I entered XBLive, my Rainbow Six:Black Arrow game got the Live 3.0 Update before I could play. After the update I was playing for hours, then after a few days I tried to get in and then I got this message...

No doubt that new Update got my BOX banned even with modchip disabled.

Some say thta the new update checks for partitions E and F (and possibly G) for any homebrew software or backups, of which in my case my 250 MB HD has many.

Last night I got into the xbox-scene.org forums and found the following info specially on item #5 "How to get back onto Live if you were banned":

I have not verified if this procedure to get back to Live works, but I will try it possibly next weekend and let you folks know the result.

Good Luck to All!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  6. dossie

dossie Regular member

yea it will work but wont you just get banned again as soon as you log onto live, since you already have the xbox live 3.0 update on your xbox?

and if you dont get banned again straight away then what is there to stop you from getting banned when a future update comes out, that is even better than 3.0? (better = being able to check for mods when off)

7. Rayan

Rayan Member

True, but what if I install my original HD with no modified files in it? Do you think that will work?

Thanks!

8. dossie

dossie Regular member

i dont know, that is what i thought about as well, you could try.

does anybody know if there is a way that i can reformat my xbox hdd without any modified software on it, back to factory default (is there a way to do it without evoX)?

9. Rayan

Rayan Member

Well, I have Slayer's 2.0 DVD. It was used to setup my XBOX, it has a menu driven interface that allows to install EvoX with several options, and there's a menu option to restore to factory defaults that I have not tried.

You can download Slayer's from the Web.. The last place I saw it was on Bittorrent site called http://www.suprnova.org or something like that....

10. dossie

dossie Regular member

awesome yea i know where to find slayers and i will try it as soon as i get it

the only thing i need now is a EEPROM

thanks

11. Rayan

Rayan Member

As the document I posted above says, try to find a friend that does not use Live and hava a modded box and ask him if you can use his EEPROM. For that you need to use ConfigMagic as you may know. (Included in Slayer's Disk).

Let me know how it goes...

Good luck!
    Rayan

12. Rayan

Rayan Member

Oh and let's not forget to copy our Live Subbscription to memory card so we can set it up again on the "new" HD... :)

13. dossie

dossie Regular member

nah dont need to coz my subcription is about to expire and i cant renew it for some strange reason. and i dont have a memory card, but i can get it back without a memory card using the account recovery option in live, if i really wanted to.

14. dossie

dossie Regular member

the hard bit will be finding a friend who has an mod chip, (i live in New Zealand and it is not very common having a chip) and even harder finding someone with a chip and doesnt plan to go on live...

i just hope that it will work and not get banned again coz i busting ass to get on live and get my ass kicked on halo 2 (got banned a day after halo 2 came out :(

15. Rayan

Rayan Member

hmmm to bad... :(

Actually rumors say that this whole M$ banning was triggered by the fact that many, many people around the world where playing illegal copies of Halo2 even as far back as one month prior to it's oficial release, so they decided to 'Go-In" and investigate everyone's hard discs...

FACT: Do you know that Halo2 made more than 100 million dollars on it's first day only? Think of it, not even a single blockbuster movie reach that amount on a single day!!!

16. dossie

dossie Regular member

yea that is quite a lot of money...if it just wasnt fot that *@$^&* of a %#%$^ that leaked it onto the net, i might have still been on live...

17. Rayan

Rayan Member

Yeah, I agree... The leaked Halo2 ruined my Live experience... :(

Let's keep watching the http://www.xbox-scene.org forums for more info...

Good luck!
    Rayan

18. dossie

dossie Regular member

hey do you think that M$ will eventually start un-banning people???

19. Rayan

Rayan Member

Take a look at the news front page at xbox-scene, there are news to this respect.

Somewhere in the text says that M$ is not banning GamerTags, but consoles. So in worst case scenario, a new or used un-modded xbox will do the trick to be back online...

I will but a used xbox soon to see if this is true!

20. dossie

dossie Regular member

yea it is true they dont bann your Gamertags but the EEPROM on your xbox so you can use your gamertag on antoher xbox....but what i want to know is if M$ will start un-banning people with modchips?