1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox live safe?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by SwordsG, Mar 15, 2007.

1. SwordsG

SwordsG Regular member

Ok i just got a preowned harddrive from cash conveters.
    Problem its still got 12 months gold live
    Is it safe to use this?.

I still got my reciept
    i belive this might be stolen then sold then i bought it

that fact its still got a email
    and visa card details and friends trying to talk to me
    this xbox live is dated 3/2007 to 3/2008 so its new?

safe for me to use?

2. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

well if you bought stolen goods, and you get caught, your in deep $#!+ but if its not stolen and you bought it and they didnt cancel it your good, i bought a used xbox once that had two accounts with 6 months left on them and i used both of them...

3. SwordsG

SwordsG Regular member

I bought it froma proper shop that the whole uk knows off
    they even got a web site http://www.cashconverters.co.uk/
    When they track is it the consle id and sn nunber or has the harddrive got its own id and thats tracked?

4. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

im not sure, when you log on it is going to trace your IP address and if your doing something wrong then xbox will contact you im sure..

5. SwordsG

SwordsG Regular member

If they track it by consle id, i would be fine becuase its just the harddrive that could be stolen.
    But if the harddrive has a id when i go online with the harddrive they can track my ip etc

basicly what i need to know is, how would the harddrive be tracked down rembering that the 360 is mine the harddrive may be stolen

i can always wipe the data off or go back to the shop

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  6. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

they will track your IP, and there is a code in the hard drive, all hard drives have the serial number stored on them... its in the cache

7. caliph

caliph Guest

12 months of xbox live left? i say you stay with it! hey your saving yourself $50 there buddy....... nd who knows it just might be your luck day. btw, since you say cashconverters is a popular store, i highly doubt they would sell stolen goods....now go pwn some noobs in gow!!

8. SwordsG

SwordsG Regular member

ok ill see how it goes
    and if the police come to my house ill show them the reciept from the store so i should not get in troblem becuase i dont know i just bought it thats all.

Aldo the harddrive can that be tracked becuase normally they just use the xbox360 id and sn i dont know if the harddrive has these

and yes its a very good store theres problem around 1000+ in the uk

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  9. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

YES the hard drive can be tracked, it has a SN just like the motherboard inside the xbox

10. SwordsG

SwordsG Regular member

Well ill keep it use it then if they come for me ill give full details of whats happened
    i got the reciept so i should be ok then

11. handsom

handsom Regular member

As long as you have proof of legitimate purchase, you made out. It's their responsibility to run these things for theft reports; not yours. As long as you do your part to purchase from a legitimate retailer; and keep proof of it, don't worry about it. Most people don't even know how to report most of that stuff properly anyways.

12. SwordsG

SwordsG Regular member

Thanks thats now peace at mind
    Yes i do have proof of legitimate purchase thank god
    Thats the best reply ive ever had

13. pushur

pushur Member

Sure you have proof you paid for the HDD

But do you have proof you have permission from the previous owner to access /use his/her confidential information i.e CC info/XBL account?

14. handsom

handsom Regular member

Worst case scenario, a cease and desist order is placed, so long as you don't attempt to generate new charges to a card, etc; using the information on a drive that was legally tendered to you would be a null point. Responsibility for cleaning the drive would fall onto the reseller. So it would ultimately be up to them to ensure that they were not compromising anyone's personal data; also it would be wise for the prior owner(Assuming it's not stolen initially, lol) to remove any data like that if they were concerned about it.

When I traded in my first couple xbox's I made sure to pull my Live account from them, so that there would be no problems down the road.

Ultimately though; he was given a drive, and he was given the drive with data on it, and no stipulating contract was agreed(by him) that prevents him from using it. If he had signed some big thing to use it; then it would be a different story, but no retailer is going to make you sign a 40 page legal statement before you can purchase a used product, they'd never get business. And if the current owner isn't the one who was shown the Live agreement, and Ok'd it; then he is not legally bound by it. M$ could terminate his account at any time; but that's about all they could do, really.

If I sell a drive to my friend, which has personal private information, and he uses that information, I would have VERY limited recourse in which to take action. Because it is no longer illegal access, as the drive becomes his property, so my privacy rights no longer apply to it. If it were stolen, the responsibility would fall either on me, or a third part retailer, if involved. But not the buyer, unless he was involved in some legally binding contract that he had either electronically or physically signed himself into.

So, one way or another, this guy is safe; the biggest risk is that there may be some slim chance of M$ banning his 360; in which case, you get a statement from M$ in their own, vague legaleze; which states that the information on the drive was related to his unit being banned, at which point any retailer fully understands that they will need to issue a refund or risk further action.

I love all this stuff, it's very complicated, and yet not. :D

15. SwordsG

SwordsG Regular member

lol i had to sign in to reply to day

Ive wiped off all the data and now useing it ,loving halo 2 again
    Cant seem to get a gamer score on sonic game

Well ive wiped all the data so i cant use his/her live etc
    i downloaded quake 4 demo today its really good.

If the poclice come to my door for what ever resaon ill hand over proof and the harddrive if they need it.

Loving 360
    please tell me how i can find more fun on it?

16. handsom

handsom Regular member

Turn it on as often as possible, and consider flashing the drive when homebrew becomes popular; which should be soon since Mame, ScummVM, and Linux are all in the works, and seem to be close.

17. rugeiy

rugeiy Guest

edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2007
  18. mikeismad

mikeismad Regular member

lmfao. wtf are you talking about, btw....

REPORTED!!!!!!!!!

19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

rugeiy, lightning struck!!!! posts edited

20. SwordsG

SwordsG Regular member

I have heard that the first hello world was relased on 360 for download
    i may flash one day but im paying for warrenty so if it breaks down ill get it repaired or replace

great fun so far