1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox modchip questions.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by cakes227, Jun 10, 2007.

1. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

Ok I was thinking about puting a modchip in my xbox and I have a few questions.

1) What is the advantage of buying an expensive chip like the x3 over buying a cheaper chip like the duox 2?

2) What advantages do some bioses have over others?

3) Is the bios you flash the dashboard it boots to? or do you have to ftp the dashboard to the e drive or something?

Thanks.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

1) What is the advantage of buying an expensive chip like the x3 over buying a cheaper chip like the duox 2?
    For the average every day user, none really. The more expensive chips have some higer end features that most people never even use. Like i have a DuoX2 and my friend just got a better chip (Xenium Gold) and he likes my set up better because his BIOS does not even have In Game Reset functions

2) What advantages do some bioses have over others?
    As above, some may have different features then others. Depends on the chip and the person who made the BIOS.

3) Is the bios you flash the dashboard it boots to? or do you have to FTP the dashboard to the e drive or something?
    BIOS and dashboard are two different things. The BIOS is what the chip runs on and the dashboard is something you install to be how you get around your Xbox, sort of like Windows is for your PC. Easiest way to do the dashboard is to download and use an auto installer disc called Slayer 2.7. This will install any dashboard you choose as you main dash (what it boots to) and then you can install the others into your apps folder so you can use those whenever you need them. Slayer also contains many BIOS versions for flashing chips as well.

Also for those who use Xbox Live you may want to go with softmodding. I think most chips can be disabled and you can play original games on Live, but i am not 100% certain it can not still be detected. There are ways to softmod and use Xbox Live. The softmodding disadvantage is that swapping out a hard drive is a lot harder, plus if you do not back up your EEPROM file to your PC like you should any errors you get could be a big problem.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  3. cakes227

cakes227 Guest

ok thanks, yea i softmodded my xbox but i got banned from xbl and i heard you wont get baned if you turn off your chip.

4. steimy

steimy Active member