1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox Modding

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by matinzen, Aug 26, 2004.

1. matinzen

matinzen Member

Hello, I want to buy a modchip for my XBox. All I want to do is backup my games and store them on my hard drive. I have quite a few games so to store them all I am going to buy I bigger hard drive. So, here are my questions: 1. When you are storing games on the hard drive can you still save your progress on the hardrive. 2. Can someone post a link to a guide to replacing the hard drive. 3. Which modchip should I go with? I found this site which documents and compares many modchips http://www.xbox-scene.com/modchips.php I would be interested in knowing what you have and reccomend. Thank you.

2. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Hi matinzen,
    Going to try and help you out here,

1. you can still save your progress on your hard drive with an upgraded hard drive.

2(a),To replace the hdd all you need to do is get the other hdd out by unsrewing it from the case,
    pull out the ide cable and power molex and replace it with the new hard drive, put the cables back in and screw it in.
    (before you replcae it you might want to ftp the data from it to your pc so you can put it back on your new hdd. There are topics on here covering how to do that)

(b)Boot up your slayers auto installer disc and format the hdd.
    You can then ftp the data that you backed up from your old hdd by ftp'ing it to the new hdd
    or copy the files off slayers cd and not have any of your data/game saves off your stock hdd.

3)Many people have many different opinions on what modchip to get from there own experience.
    There are many factors which affect what modchip to get i.e, how easy it is to install, what features you want etc.

The xbit is easy to install and so is the alladin advanced64. These are good chips.

Harder to install but a very good chip are the xecuter2.3. Good features and very reliable.

There is always the new xenium ice which is a 4th gen modchip and the best to come out so far. It has its own operating system and is very easy to flash. Dunno how hard it is to install as i havent seen/done one of those.
    The xecuter 3 is also suppose to be the best chip to come out when it is finally released but you will have to wait and see if you want that one.

All depends on if you are doing it, how much money you have, soldering skills etc. If you arnet so good at soldering i wouldnt recommend doing it yourself, Get a pro to do it, might be more expensive but if you mess up your xbox yourself then you will be paying alot more!!

If you only want to back up your games on your hard drive then just go with the xectuer2.3.

Hope this has helped you in some way, just reply back if you need more help.

3. matinzen

matinzen Member

That helped me thank you very much for your thorough reply, my only question is what is the slayers auto installer disc? Thank you again.

4. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Slayers auto installer is an installer that installs a different dashboard(the screen that appears when you start your xbox up and has settings and that on)all for you.

A different dashboard is needed if you want to put a bigger hdd in.

You can get slayers auto installer by searching for it on google.
    Download it, extract it with winrar and make it into an iso using craxion or simialr program. (it may already be an iso so you would just need to burn it)
    Burn it onto a dvd-r because this is best.

5. matinzen

matinzen Member

Ok thanks.

6. Hrdrk20

Hrdrk20 Regular member

Google Xbox station for v2.5

7. isuballr

isuballr Guest

after i burn the slayers auto installer to dvd-r, do i just put it in the xbox and turn it on? i have the xenium ice chip. so i guess my question is do i use the OS from the chip to start it, or put the dashboard back to the "retail kernal" and put the disc in?

8. Gioxtream

Gioxtream Guest

Please help.I just got a brand new Xbox with the ninja gaiden game(I was missing all the accion on Xbox wowwwww that game rocks.)I been using Ps2 all the time.I never gave a try on the Xbox...but thanx god i did it.

I am a new on modchips but I am learning fast.So i dicided after reviews to instal the Smartxx modchip and upgrade the hard drive.

How much Hard drive is the limit for a modchip?I heard that there is modchips that does not take 200 GB hard drives.

I know i will be a pain in the asss but...I really need a step by step direccion in how to do the whole process.I also got the program Qwix101 from Avalauch web site in my computer but i have not idea how that stuff works.

I will pay for your patien in the instruction in how to do the whole process with a $100 dollars for anybody who can guide me after instaling My modchip
    because i dont know what to do next.The only thing i know is that I have to save the Xbox Hd to my computer in orden to instal the new the new hdrive.I also want the avalauch screen menu.I want to run my Xbox nicely and safely.Anyone around that is very secure in the process?Thanks.

9. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Is your chip installed? If not then i will explain that when you tell me if you have done it or not. Anyways...

First if you havent already done so you must flash your chip.
    To do this download a bios eg xecuter 4983 and make sure that it is in the correct size for your chip eg 512k or 1mb etc.

Then burn it onto a cd-rw or dvd-r with any dummy files you want, then put it in your xbox and follow onscreen and your chip will be flashed within 15 secs.

Then try a backed up game to see if it is working. If so then do the following.

Download slayers auto installer (2.6 is newest) put it in and copy the files from it by selecting one of the options from the menu (cant remember what its called).

Then get out the disc and reset xbox, you should be faced with the evo-x dashboard.

Now connect your pc and xbox together. Im gonna use the crossover way here, get one end of your x-over cable and put it in your pc lan card and put other end in the xbox network port.

Download flashfxp from http://www.download.com/FlashFXP/3000-2160-10306315.html?tag=lst-0-1

Now find out your xbox ip and put it into flashfxp along with username and password which are xbox by default. It should connect(wont if you have your firewall on).

Now you should have the contents of your xbox's hard drive on the right side of flashfxp and your pc contents on the left, you want to back up your xbox hdd so transfer folder C and E to your pc and then you have a backup on your pc incase of emergency, lol.

Now you have done all that you will want to put in your new hard drive, open up your xbox and take out the hard drive by unscrewing it form the plastic caddy and pulling out the power molex and ide cable, put the new hdd's jumper as cable select(cs) and screw it in and put ide cable and power molex back in.

Put your xbox back together and boot it with slayers auto installer in. Now you want to format the hdd with slayers, so go to the option 'rebuild new bigger hard drive' and it will do its thing. I think it copies evo-x and apps to the new hdd by doing it this way aswell.(cant remember, duh).

If you want your old hard drive contents on your new one then ftp the C and E folders that you backed up earlier and there you go.

If you want a bigger g partition then you will need to flash your modchip with xecuter 4983.67 i think it is, otherwise you will have 1 big F partition which would be flashed with 4983.06.

I hope this helps you just a little bit, if you have anymore questions just reply back and i'll be glad to help out.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    -Xbox v1.0, X-ecuter2 lite, EVO-X DASHBOARD,
    -PS2 V4(gap), PS2 V5, duo2
    -BARTON 3200+, wInDoWs XP(sp1),
    asus A7V600-X,120GB HDD, 2x 256DDR pc2700,
    pioneer 106D

http[/small]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2004
  10. Skilit

Skilit Member

Hey where can you get an Upgraded Hard drive for your console.. I mean just the Harddrive itself..

11. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

Any place that sells hard drives, they are just a normal pc hdd.

Get one from www.newegg.com

12. jayquik03

jayquik03 Regular member

Hi, I'm new I just got a X-ecuter 2.6 lite mod chip I had a few questions to ask.
    1. Can I use dvd+r for backups?
    2. I'm having trouble with the bios on a cd-rw, I have the program X2Bios and it seems I have to be that I have to have my xbox connected to my computer, but I keep reading about the cd-rw way. Is there a easy (For newb's) fax out there or can someone here help me with it?
    3. My friend just got the X-ecuter 2.6 and he has a check your weather dash and stuff is there anyway I can find this? My AOL SN is jayquik03 if anyone can help me 24/7 thanks

13. foolish

foolish Guest

hey guys i just bought a xenium ice chip for my xbox but have some questions about installing it can some help me out?i have a v1.6 so i have to re biuld the board right? i have to solder the pin header but you can solder to much how do i know when its good?