1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox not booting. DVD seems ok.

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by whowhat, Jan 17, 2005.

1. whowhat

whowhat Member

My XBox does not want to boot. I don't know what version Xbox it is. It was manufactured 08/2003 and purchased 10/2003. It has a Thomson DVD drive, and it is NOT modded.
    I originally thought the problem was with the DVD, but I don't get the errors (not reading) that apparently come up when the drive is faulty.
    The box will not even boot to dashboard with the DVD drive empty.
    I now have to play a while with the on/off button and the eject button until the XBox decides to boot, and then everything is OK. The box will run forever without problems, until you hit eject and/or off. Then the screen goes black, the LED flashed green, and nothing happens.
    Can anyone suggest a troubleshooting procedure or piece of software to correct this?

2. djboogie

djboogie Regular member

could be a number of things, but in your case, seems related to the hard drive.
    What I would try and do (if its a modded xbox) is format the drive, and reinstall the dash (if you dont have a dash, then ftp to pc and backup the one you have)

3. whowhat

whowhat Member

The XBox is NOT modded.

I agree about the HDD problem. I read somewhere that the box follows a set procedure to boot up, and if the DVD is ok, then the only thing that can cause a problem, apart from bad wiring, is the HDD.

Do you (Does anyone) know how to troubleshoot/diagnose/repair/test the HDD?