1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox only reading cds

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by shawty, Oct 7, 2007.

1. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I don't think the drive is able to read the discs. Something you may want to try is to hook up the XBOX drive into the PC and try to play an audio CD or something. I have never tried this but I'm guessing that the PC should recognize it. I still think though that the xbox DVD Drive is bad. You may want to try a friends xbox drive and see if it works.
    Is this what you did?
    http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/dvddrive.php
    If you did then:
    NOTE:
    1/ You can NOT play original discs this way , you will have to reconnect the IDE-cable to the Xbox DVD-drive if you want to play an original games.

2. shawty

shawty Member

at last i've discovered the problem, i tried again to load games with my pc drive, and it seems to me that the games i tried with before (halo 2 and gta vc) were bad or scratched or something i don't wanna know about, but later i tried with a few more games and all of them load perfectly, i mean perfectly without having to go to d: on the settings menu, just by turning on the console with the game on it, it even load faster than the xbox drive
    i tried with dvd movies, and it is a bit strange, i can't play them, i can go to d: and load any of the clips the dvd is divided into, but that does'nt matter, as i know it is because the compatibility between the xbmc dvd reading function and the non-perfect compatibility between the xbox and a non-xbox drive, however i could play the clips as i told you
    it could read a cd when i tried reading it on ms dash, but the song dissapeared after some time, tried on xbmc and i could'nt read it, but i'm guessing that also has to do with the compatibility and the fact that the xbox has an eject button and the drive too
    i tried using my xbox drive on my pc and i could only read cd's, when i tried with a dvd it just did'nt recognize it, the drive did'nt even appear on my pc
    i looked into my xbox drive to check if there were anything that could make it not work correctly, but it seems fine
    i can't borrow a friends dvd drive, as they would'nt want to open their consoles (none of them have a modded console)

3. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

First off, they don't know what they are missing!

Second, I think this means that your XBOX DVD Drive is bad. I think you will need to buy another drive. Another way to make the DVD Drive in the XBOX faster is to use an ATA 100 or higher cable (ATA 133 is good) this allows faster transfer rates for the XBOX DVD Drive and the XBOX Hard Drive. The default cable MS uses is an ATA 33 cable which is very slow. I upgraded my cable to an ATA 133 from the default ATA 33 and I saw a noticeable speed difference. Loading Halo from the Hard drive takes about 15 seconds to load a game at the most. I am using a Seagate 80GB 7200 RPM Drive.

4. shawty

shawty Member

so ur saying my drive's dead?
    is there anything i could do before thinking of buying a new one?
    problem's i don't want to buy another drive and i can't easily buy an xbox drive here, i live in mexico
    if i were to buy a pc drive, which one would you recommmend?
    I'm having problems with the borrowed pc one, first of all, the power source is not a standard one (i think), also, pc drives have the eject button on the drive itself, which will make kind of a problem because the xbox has another eject button on the front of the case, at last,r getting a drive that will fit in the case will be kind of difficult
    is there any store where i can get the original samsung drive without the risk of it being second hand or damaged? (remember i live in mexico, so not all stores are the same, maybe a walmart-like store)

5. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

6. shawty

shawty Member

problem's these won't deliver to mexico

7. saltynuts

saltynuts Guest

Do a used xbox really cost that much in mexico.

8. core2kid

core2kid Regular member