1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox repair questions

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by Sumone157, Dec 15, 2007.

1. Sumone157

Sumone157 Regular member

My xbox finally got the 3 red lights after 1 and a half year. I called and I am expecting a pre-paid box today. But I have a question for this 1 month journey.

When I send my xbox, do I get a refurbished xbox in place of it, or the same one? (Reason why is that my brother did the towel trick without my consent and I know that it kills the xbox)

If I get a refurbished xbox, after I plug in my old hard drive will I still have all my Xbox 1 games that I bought, and some of my arcade games?

Thats pretty much it. Thanks in advance.

2. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

It's a 50 50 shot. I've sent in one console which was replaced and one console which was repaired.

3. darxx

darxx Member

From what I've heard most times you will be sent a new xbox. I called in to check on mine on the 12, two days after they recieved it. The automated support said to wait 5 business days because my xbox was on it's way back.

So in theory, it took 2 days to "fix" my xbox. Hopefully getting it tonight or monday.

4. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Both of them I registered online at Xbox.com and was able to track their progress.

The first one I sent in took about 3 weeks to repair. It ended up being a different console. I kept checking online and one day I seen the serial number changed.

The second one showed the repair center received it on a Friday. When I checked it the following Tuesday it showed it as being returned to me. So it only took them a couple days to fix it. It was the same one I sent in.

5. caliph

caliph Guest

well i had gotten the 3 red lights too and I decided to use the towel trick. I did it and used it for a good 2 weeks until the red lights came up again. So i decided to do it again but to no avail. then i sent it in to microsoft for repair, took a month, and wala! got a brand new console back WITH a free month of xbox live gold! so they should repair it, im pretty sure.

6. Sumone157

Sumone157 Regular member

Im just thinking that when they get my xbox first, they'll try it out and if they see that it works, they will send it back. Will this happen?

7. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

They'll fire it up first. But it's still a 50 50 chance of what they'll do to it.

I'd highly recommend NOT using the towel trick. Doing so overheats EVERYTHING in the 360. And if they just repair the gpu and ship the same console back to you, then you'll end up with a 360 that's been highly stressed which will lead to a shorter life span. Electricial components do wear out. And when they're over heated, they wear out alot quicker.