1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox softmodding - Is it really worth it????

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Fuzzy2006, Dec 21, 2004.

1. jones8430

jones8430 Member

where do you live in britain?
    never send your xbox through post
    check out your local yellow free ads for a upgrader,i paid £110 for new 120gig hard drive and a chip installed (plus 1000 emulated games)

2. Fuzzy2006

Fuzzy2006 Guest

Yeah i stay in in britain.
    Do you think a computer shop would know how to softmodd it?

see if i buy a 200 gig hard drive from PC world or somewhere, is it hard to put on evox and all that onto it? Would "Slayer's Auto Installer V2.6 Disk" do and is it hard to do?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2005
  3. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

Fraser - Please don't spend any money on any discs for applications like Evox, that is readily available in a lot of places, especially "the usual places". Anyway, check out this site, it will give you a foolproof and simple guide to modding your xbox

www.how2xbox.com

Code54 -
    What in the world are you talking about??? There is no disc swapping involved at all in a softmod. A softmod does every single thing a chipmod does, only without a chip. Direct boot? What the heck are you talking about? Softmods direct boot anything you put in the tray! You should get your facts straight before you go trying to help someone...

Sukodin -
    What??? Why would he want to turn his mod off? Unless he wanted to play XBL, in which case, all he has to do is boot the disc directly without accessing his dashboard and he will be able to play XBL just fine...i have a softmodded xbox and an xbox live account i've been playing for 10 months now and I have had no problems...

4. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

PS - Fuzzy, no you would not be able to use Slayer's 2.6 on a softmodded xbox...you could get the apps included in his installer though...

5. Stuman

Stuman Member

I personally have had 3 chipped xboxes. Not sure about the pros and cons of softmodding but my chips work great.

I use aladdin chips as they are quite cheap, and easily disabled without the use of an extra switch (unlike other chips).

I've always put 200GB Hdd in my xboxes but dont get 1 from PC world it'll cost a fortune. www.ebuyer.co.uk is just about the best place to get. Go for Seagate as they are a lot quieter than Maxtor. You'll need to mod the bios for LBA48 support to utilise the full 200Gb though. While your at it though you can change start up options, animations, colours (on screen and eject button) etc.

With the chip slayers 2.6 works a treat. Just boot up the disc and format the drive, voila, all apps and stuff are automatically installed (only a couple of choices to make). Guides for doing all this can be found either here or www.xbox-scene.com

I could do it for you reasonably cheap (about as much as your softmod, depending on xbox version) and will come with a guarantee (I dont chip it myself, just install the HDD. But chip is proffessionally fitted by an authorised dealer for sony)

6. Fuzzy2006

Fuzzy2006 Guest

Do you need ur xbox softmodded or chipped to run evox on it?

7. Stuman

Stuman Member

I'm afraid I cant answer that as I've only used chipped boxes. But I would assume a softmodded box should be able to run Evox.

Evox is only a dashboard afterall and without a dashboard how would you gain access to the HDD???

Softmodding is becoming ever more popular these days so there must be some advatages with it. It just seems like a pain having to re-load stuf everytime you want to use live. At least with a chip it's only a question of disabling the chip with the touch of a button.

8. Quadratic

Quadratic Regular member

The Evox dashboard is automatically included in the softmod.

9. Fuzzy2006

Fuzzy2006 Guest

Ok i am going to chip it!
    Not sure which chip yet so will you help me decide cos i dont really understand the difference between them all.

could you also tell me where to buy the chip. The only place i know is whitedog.co.uk Please note. I stay just south of glasgow, scotland so the chip would need to be posted to the UK.

thanks
    fraser.

10. Stuman

Stuman Member

www.gtelectronics.co.uk is in dundee so not really that far. As far as I know executer chips are supposed to be the best but I use aladdin advance as they do not require external switches to turn off.

Basically I think most chips do what you need them to do. i.e. play imports and back-ups. It really all depends on how into your bios you are.

11. Fuzzy2006

Fuzzy2006 Guest

i am not really into all that bios shit. So now whats the best???

12. bemor

bemor Member

if ur not sure about modding id suggest buying a cheap 2nd hand xbox do a bit of reading and softmod it (unless u suit the role of a monkey with a soldering iron better) at the end of the day y pay for someone to put info on a chip that ull pay for when you can simply get a softmod program and put the info on the current hardware yourself

hardware may seem to wear the pants in the xbox but the software decides which ones

13. bemor

bemor Member

having a spare xbox is always handy and theres no risk to ur current one should u mess up (despite what anyone says evryone makes mistakes at some point or another)

good luck

out

14. Fuzzy2006

Fuzzy2006 Guest

I blew my motherbored up within 24 hours of chipping it. oops lol. (the d0 cable came out and i drop solder on the video chip) lol

I got a new motherbored off ebay and it is softmodded.
    I now have a 200gb hard drive with evox and all that pish on it :D

But i have another problem. I cant see to FTP it to my computer. (i used to be able to do it!!!!!)
    All the settings are correct, I'm pretty sure!

When i switch the xbox on and connect it but to the PC, the xbox says its IP address is 0.0.0.0.
    It says this in the main evoulation screen Homer Simpson Skin)

I have tried connecting it up to another pc and it still seems to think thats its ip address is 0.0.0.0 It was something like 192.168.0.3

Do you think i have done something to the motherboard and thats why its givin an IP address of 0.0.0.0 ??????

(i need to connect my xbox up to my pc as i need to update Xbox Media Centre so i get Xlink Kai up and running on it!)

If you think i have done something to the motherboard then is there another way of connecting it up to my PC?????

I have tried linking up the hard drive to my PC but it reads the drive in the bios settings but not in windows (or it says "Need to be formatted")

Please help!!!!

thanks Fraser

15. bemor

bemor Member

16. Fuzzy2006

Fuzzy2006 Guest

So what you think the motherboard is broken then???//

Does anyone know if it is fixable or is it better selling it on ebay and buying a brand new one???

The only disadvantage is that, my motherboard is softmodded and i run evox and everything in on the hdd (inc. games) :( And i'm not to happy chipping it my self. I have fucked up my last motherboard. lol

17. Stuman

Stuman Member

As I mentioned before, I can get everything sorted out, professionally for you.
    Or you can contact them directly, as far as I can remember its
    www.gtelectronics.co.uk
    They do my chipping for me (dont have enough soldering experience to work on a 100 note xbox) and I do everything else, for me.

But they will maybe be able to help you with your motherboard problem.

18. ghost666

ghost666 Member

ok, im like that other guy; i want to soft mod. i have a question/concern, i heard that you cantplay Xbox Live; but you say diffrently?

can you explain...mostly i want it for the media player.

19. zuban

zuban Member

jonbtrini mentioned:
    "Unless he wanted to play XBL, in which case, all he has to do is boot the disc directly without accessing his dashboard and he will be able to play XBL just fine...i have a softmodded xbox and an xbox live account i've been playing for 10 months now and I have had no problems..."
    So your saying that all you have to do to avoid being banned on xbox-live is to insert an original game disk, turn xbox off, and restart (so that the xbox boots directly to the game instead of to the dashboard?

20. jonbtrini

jonbtrini Regular member

Well Zuban, this USED to be the case. Xbox Live worked like a charm this way with a softmod, until they upgraded to XBL 3.0, and now they scan your HDD for any illegal code or anything other than original Xbox files that come on the factory HDD. So you will be banned now, even using this method. Anyone who tells you that "Microsoft has the power to scan harddrives, but doesn't do it right now" is completely wrong....they ARE scanning your C and I believe your E partition when you get on XBL....