1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox to pc not connecting

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by ballz, Jan 16, 2005.

1. ballz

ballz Member

i am having some problems connecting i have tried using flash fxp and cute fxp but my xbox is refusing connection i have a evox dash and am connecting by crossover please help

2. big_g-man

big_g-man Regular member

i had a lot of problems connecting, too. i found that going into your network connections on your PC, right click on the xbox connection and go into properties. go into the internet protocol settings. make sure "use the following ip address" is selected.
    this is where it got a little fuzzy when i read the tutorials. in my case, the ip address of my xbox went into the default gateway, i believe the ip of my pc went into the "ip address" because all my settings on the xbox say its ip is 192.168.0.91. here's my settings:

PC
    IP Address: 192.168.0.3
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.91

Xbox
    IP Address: 192.168.0.91
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.91

if anyone else has a better way of doing it, please say so. i just know that this works for me. i hope it helps, ballz.

3. llongtheD

llongtheD Guest

Also, make sure if your using any kind of software firewall, you add the xbox to your trusted connections. Zone alarm for example will not allow connection until you do this.

4. ballz

ballz Member

ok thats brill but how do i find out my pc's ip address i am only a begginer on the pc so i dont have a lot of knowledge about them thanx

5. llongtheD

llongtheD Guest

You can find your IP by clicking on start/all programs/accessories/command prompt. Once you have a command prompt type:"ipconfig" without quotations. If you are connecting directly to your network card with a crossover cable this is unimportant though. If you have your box connected, on your computer, go to start/control panel/network connections. Once there right click on your local area connection, click on properties, highlight internet properties tcp/ip, then click on the properties box just below that. Once thats open click on the bubble "use this internet connection". From there you can set your static ip, and subnet mask.
    For your PC you can use these settings:
    ip: 192.168.0.1
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    click ok then exit.
    For you xbox use these settings:
    ip: 192.168.0.2
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: 192.168.0.1
    now go down to to save and exit in the evox menu or the settings will not be saved.
    reboot your xbox.
    Now you just need to set up flash fxp to connect to your box. open flash fxp, click on ftp, then quick connect. Type in your xbox's ip which is 192.168.0.2
    password and username are both xbox. If you've done this correctly you should see folders c,d,e,x,y,z, and f and g if you have a large hard drive.
    Remeber before you connect to the internet again you must go back into network properties and click on "obtain ip address automatically. You will have to change these settings everytime you want to connect to the xbox or vice-versa, unless you get a hub or router, or a second network card.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2005
  6. big_g-man

big_g-man Regular member

and don't forget to use only one firewall. when i have the windows firewall and mcafee firewall active, it won't connect.

7. llongtheD

llongtheD Guest

I know this is off the subject, big_g-man is right, you should never run two software firewalls, the windows firewall is a piece of shit anyway. Better than nothing though.

8. ballz

ballz Member

thanx llongthed i have tried it this way now and now its saying that connection failed (connection timed out) wot am i doing wrong could it be the nic card that iam using? i dont know wot my pc ip is. my xbox ip is 192.168.0.2 and the nic card is a Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. these are the settings i see on my xbox main screen
    ip:
    evox:+3935
    free space per partition
    c:322.174.976
    e:5.002.854.400
    f:
    x:13.778.944
    y:785.891.328
    z:785.055.744

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  9. big_g-man

big_g-man Regular member

this might not make much of a difference, but i have the same NIC. have you updated the firmware? go to windows update and a firmware update will show up for the network card. maybe that'll help.

10. ballz

ballz Member

thanx for all ya help i have managed to sort it out i think had to put a new nic in cheerz.

11. marpol

marpol Member

right im haveing loads of problems, now im set like this

my network card is set to

ip address 192.168.0.1
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway 192.168.0.1

my xbox is set to

ip 192.168.0.2
    subnetmask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway 192.168.0.1

bot static and network is set to yes.

now on flash fxp,

ip 192.168.0.2
    password and login is both "xbox" without the hash !.

now when i try to connect i get an error message saying pasv is not implemented, so i go in to advanced and turn passave mode off but when i do that i get this error message,
    200 type set to ASCII,
    can't open data connection to 192.168.0.1 38149

now i dont know what is causeing this problem and i have also tried a dozen ftp clients and they all do the same thing, myu setting havent changed on my xbox but because i put a new HD in my pc and try to set this thing up im haveing all sorts of problems , i do have a firewall but even if i disable this it still come up even though i have put it in TRUSTED ZONE !, so anyhelp would be greatfull from you guys,

-marpol-

12. llongtheD

llongtheD Guest

you can leave the default gateway on your pc/network card blank, I don't know if thats causing the conflict, but just your xbox needs the default gateway as you pc's ip. If you have zone alarm, put your xbox's ip in the trusted zone. Also if you are connecting directly to your box from your network card, you MUST use a crossover type cable. They're about $9.99 at radio shack.

13. marpol

marpol Member

thanks alot, but im still getting this problem , also i am using a crossover cable ! iv been at this for nearly a week now but im getting this silly error

14. marpol

marpol Member

thanks alot, just got it working wich was easy, keep the settings wich LLONGTHED said, try a simple thing wich i did was just turn your firewall off and then try to reconnect, this is what i have done

network card !
    ip address 192.168.100.2
    default gateway 192.168.100.1

setup network YES
    use static ip YES

now xbox settings
    ip 192.168.100.1
    default gateway 192.168.100.1

now open flash fxp, click sites then sites manager, highlight default sites and click NEW SITE, enter ip as
    192.168.100.1, user name and password is both xbox, no CAPS.!!!, then save and click connect, no it should come on... ohh and keep passive mode on for a better connection

15. Burn_89

Burn_89 Member

hey, some advice, if your box and pc still wont connect, look at the top of the network connect on the box, youll see where it says ip adress at at the very top it says current ip, the current ip is the one you want to type in on the pc. I kept using my ip adress on the box and it never worked but once i put the current ip in, all that worked, now i am able to burn copies of games and download games and send em to my box, boy livin in american sure is grand when you have the internet.