1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox v 1.0 does not boot

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by kapooty, Feb 17, 2007.

1. kapooty

kapooty Member

First the xbox started to freeze on startup and got stuck halfway through the startup with the green logo screen. At that point the sound would keep looping itself and the xbox would vibrate. Then after several attempts of letting the xbox completely die down after an on and off attempt, then press the on button again, it might start and work. Now it will not even do that, or even show the green startup screen. It turns itself on and off about twice (without booting up) then I get the green and red blinking light with no error code on the screen. in fact now, there is no audio or video to the output. This is not a softmod or anything like that. This is an original that has been working for many years. Manufacture date 2002-09-24 serial 4077764 23802
    I would like to continue to play xbox live, i can fix it if I knew what to fix. The xbox repair guide points to the eeprom, but I'm not so sure. So thats why I'm here to ask someone who knows. Thanks

2. yimmmy

yimmmy Regular member

its probably on its last bar of health sorry man
    it looks like the end its very old you know
    if you go to game stop you could get a new one for 100 bucks

sorry

3. kapooty

kapooty Member

thats not what i want to hear. I'm crying. Is there some kind of magic i can use.
    Can i change chips or maybe place a linux chip in there to reload things?

4. vegeta999

vegeta999 Member

Have you tried opening it ? if not, thts a big step u gotto take, there is a way maybe of saving ur XBOX nd ill walk u thru it if u need more help. XBOX is precious nd nahhh, we wont let it die, k, it could have loads of dust in it like mine did, so have u opened it or not ?

5. kapooty

kapooty Member

It was clean inside, i already had it open, I also have cleaned it in the past so it would last longer. whats puzzleing me is it gradually stopped working in just a couple of days. You could get it to start to boot then freeze on boot, then try it again and it might work, then after letting it sit overnight or so it will not even boot or begin to the ms dashboard. I think it has a couple of problems, one is the dvd drive would vibrate terribly when it froze. I'm still thinking maybe if i can put that Linux chip in place and start from there to rebuild. I am very good with electronic stuff, soldering and all. but its nice to know all the info i can get, makes one smarter(me). I have an xbox that doesn't work on the way from an ebayer. I thought maybe I can start playing with these things. A Disecting toy. I've checked power, for correct voltages too. I just dont think the Bios area is working, So i'd like to study the boot up process, and stuff myself, with whatever i can find, on what makes these things tick. Anyhow thanks for the info, i appreciate all i can get.

6. vegeta999

vegeta999 Member

Yup, put the linux chip nd ull be great to go. And if ur at it, get an Xecuter 3 chip with it, its worth while. or an xecuter 2 chip it dont matter. But all im sayin is good luck ! ! !

7. kapooty

kapooty Member

I went to try it again and the damn thing booted. I have another one i fixed, but this one is still bugging me. I did find out, you can pull out the hard drive and dvd unit and it will still boot. so i played with it to see if it would act up, and it did. it almost made a full boot for the logo but went into a loop going dadadadadada, you know the freeze.So its not the hard drive or the dvd, although i know the dvd needs fixed later. I removed the big heat sink and put new heat grease on it, couldn't get the little heat sink with fan off so i could do the same. Thinking maybe its getting hot or something and shutting down. Ok so those chips above will resolve this? I'd like to play with those. I have read about them, and want to add some goodies to them for user control outside the box. I'm getting hooked on this stuff, might have to go to the doctor so i can control myself (haha).

8. kapooty

kapooty Member

oh i'm even thinking of the power supply, i'll see if the other one is the same version, i think it is, both have daughter boards but one has a samsung and the other a western HDD. I'll check the version. I could be getting some noise riding the power to the parts.

9. me_cos

me_cos Member

guess im having the same problem as well... i have an v1.0 (I have a chipmod) and the symtomps are the same. The thing i can't get is that this started happening with the original HDD and is still happening with the new one i installed (Hitachi 80gb). In my case Xbox boots with original M$ dashboard if i pres for a while and if i hold the button for 2 secs it boots with the Evox dashboard. When i boot with M$ happens the same. when i use the other dasboard i cant access the apps and files in it. it tilts when i try to open them...

Anyway.. i dont haven an answer to this.. some people say is beacuse of dust on the system. but they doesnt convince me at all.

I will continue with this and will share my results.

Good Luck!

10. kapooty

kapooty Member

I dont know. I got another one off ebay and took the dvd drive from the one that was acting up and put it on the ebay one and i've been playing it. I did notice if you let it sit for a couple days or so and try it again, it will boot. Then i guess something heats up and it quits again.
    Would be nice to nail it down.