1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xbox vrs pc

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by damo_red, Nov 24, 2003.

1. ichthys

ichthys Guest

I used to love nintendo, like when i was titch. Then i got into computers and i just didn;t have a great desire anymore. I hated my dad for not getting me a console, but now I can see that it wasn;t that bad a choice. ofcoures GB advance is pretty cool as was it's predecessors.
    Who cares about specs? (not me!!!!! *sarc)I'm still waiting till I get new hardware to play games over a year old! or more. Want to feel sorry for someone, ie me? Celeron 1.2; 256mb ram, 16meg shared TridentXP chipset crap.....etc, I still run Q3 on lowest(not quite) to get a decent fps! MOHAA was awesome, still that looked like something else. But i'm still having fun aint I. Just because we're advancing in technology doesn't mean we;'re getting better gameplay.
    Oh yeah. want to feel even more sorry for me? I don't have broadband. Living in asia it's not really that accesible. Uni is just a short way's away tho.
    thats enough......ichthys

2. damo_red

damo_red Member

thats right ichthys graphics get better but gameplay alot of the time dosent. have you ever gone back to your old consoles though and released that things arent as much fun as they used to be.
    i used to play my sega megadrive(genesis)in america to death but recently ive started to play it again and you relise there was no depth to the games. sonics are stiil great though but some were really lame. i think you get used to the great story lines and in depth gameing games these days have and get addicted to that rarther then the gameplay. metal gear solid subtance for an instance.

3. ichthys

ichthys Guest

Games didn't have to have all that much depth back then. I mean I'm not sure how old you are or how old you were when NES and gameboy, or sega whatever came out, but I was young and didnt care too much. Pressing buttons was cool!
    I actually recently re-played Twinsen's Adventure/LBA released in 94! It was great.
    Old games are still good. But ofcourse I can't wait to play HL2 or D3
    ichthys

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Dont hold your breath for HL2 --- its crap (both by itself and in comparison to D3). D3 -- the alpha over a year ago totally smokes HL2 NOW. HL2 also lacks 'feel'...... man when you finally play D3 .... i dunno how to express it dude.... you are gonna shitting bricks cuz D3 brings back the "mood and atmosphere" that made it king in the first place.

HL2 on the other hand..... graphics are subpar for hype and expectations, the outdoor scenes are really kewl and its nifty to drive stuff and around. The indoor scenes (the well lit ones) were pretty kewl but some of the darker scenes, even when you ramp gamma and brightness to kingdom come you still cant see shit --- D3 is dark and somber (and a lot of both) but heck you can still see!

5. ichthys

ichthys Guest

i think i'm going to go kill myself.

no, i dont believe it....NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

6. ichthys

ichthys Guest

since i am in a fairly isolated location with few opportunities to browse widely or get new games (not that my system would be able to handle it) how is DeusEx2?_X_X_X_X_X_[small]BROADBANDLESS--------------save me![/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2003
  7. Praetor

ichthys: I'm serious dude, a fair, objective comparison of both the leaked HL2 and D3 (note that D3 is a year older than HL2) as well as the official E3 Trailers --- no chance in hell HL2 is superior. 'sides, I dont think you'll crap your pants in fear from HL2.... you will with D3.

'of course I was thoroughly disappointed and disgusted with the first HL also.

8. ichthys

ichthys Guest

-phew!

9. Praetor

LOL..... you know on the box, where they have the picture with the caption "Enemies so smart, they track you by scent"? (or something like that, i'm going from memory).... when you get to the place where they have that picture, (1) there isnt a single one of those types of baddies around and (2) nobody tracks nobody else by scent

SERIOUSLY dude, download the Doom3 E3 and the HL2 E3 and watch the HL2 one first if you'd like.

10. ichthys

ichthys Guest

booo hooooo =<

Download? at 1.5-2kbps? Luckily tho, I have the hl2 E3 from a CD someone gave me. That was amazing. There was a D3 clip but not the E3 I dont think. Didn't look that amazing.

11. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Half Life 2 is going to be better than Doom 3, as Half Life was better than Q3.
    I never liked id games from Quake and after! Q2 was crap (talking for single-player always).

12. Praetor

Quake is no comparison to Doom man. Doom is what started all this stuff. LOOK at the E3 trailers there is no match (unless Valve purposely showed off a crappy trailer). PLAY the leaks. There is no comparison.

13. ichthys

ichthys Guest

new thread for hl2 D3 'discussion'?

ps. when do I get rid of this newbie status?

14. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

as soon as you stop that damn double posting haha j/k. You'll go to junior member status at 25 posts, and member after like 50 or 100. anything higher is hand picked by the admins, or by mod recommendation to the admins. So start sucking up now and get ahead of the game ;p

15. ichthys

ichthys Guest

Hey I dont suppose you've ever had a webpage time out eh? Damn internet is so slow here.

16. Praetor

Double post dealt with.

HL2/D3 discussions should be taken to Blasteroids. http://forums.blasteroids.com/

17. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

So anyway, what are the bets on when the Xbox2 is comming out? I think PS3 will beat it by almost a year.

18. damo_red

damo_red Member

if microsoft are wanting any chance of becoming number 1 console i should think they will release xbox 2 before ps3. the reason why the ps2 is so successfull is becuase it has been on the market for so much longer then the xbox and and with xbox 2 and ps3 just around the corner xbox aint never going to catch up with ps2. people would rarther wait.

19. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

@Praetor:

You cannot compare two games from the trailers I think we should agree on that. You cannot even judge a movie from a trailer, how could you do so with a games?

About the leaks, I just got the one for Doom3, I didn't download the Half-Life one and will not because of the way the data were taken. Of course game is not ready and because of that leak the game will be changed (that's why it's going to be releashed next year and not now as they had told the press).

I believe that we have to wait for the final versions to come up but I do believe that HL2 will be a better single player game than Doom3. I actually don't remember of id creating a nice story, even Doom and Quake had BAD stories.

Of course I recognise that id is the company that created FPS (the first-person view and the ability to look around and move wherever you want was in Ultima Underworld first).
    That's all!

PS1: I just saw LOTR: The Return Of The King, awesome!
    PS2: Anyone played XIII? I'd like to talk about it also!
    PS3: Merry Christmas to everyone!

20. Praetor

True you cant compare a game by its trailer but c'mon its E3! One of the biggest gaming events -- you would think they would have put more than an half-assed-crap effort into making a decent trailer?

ABout the HL2 leak, the company should have learned its damn lesson four years ago (or however long it was) when the first halflife was leaked. The saying 'get me once, shame on you, get me twice, shame on me' DEFINITELY applies to valve here. The game may be good and all but all that aside, they really did deserve to have that leak man.

I respect companies and their hard work and blah blah blah (im in software engineering) but when the company itself doesnt respect its own programmers enough to provide decent security -- that respect goes out the window. I can say I will buy HL2 and the first place it is going is in the barbecue. (Praetor storms off in an angry rage over Valve).

(Praetor comes back). With regards to D3 and HL2, neither game is ready and the D3 leak is well over a year old man (apparently a corporate leake by ATI too hehe). HL2 may have story and it may be good (I never liked the HL story, nor the game but I'll give it some credit), but it certainly doesnt have (a) the graphics and MUCH more importantly it doesnt have the mood, the atmosphere. Its improved over HL but nothing compared to D3 man.

Just my 0.02