1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox won't read Evolution X Boot Disc!

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by OE40Data, Jun 8, 2004.

1. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

I installed a X-ecuter 2.3B lite chip and i flashed it with the newest X-ecuter bios. All that went fine and with the settings on bank 1 it loads normal and says Xecuter2 underneath the Xbox logo. I am using the same CD-RW (Memorex 4x) to burn the Evo boot disk as i did for the bios. My xbox will not read the EvolutionX boot disk no matter how many times or how many different ways i burn it. I've read all the replies to this question and this is still one question that has ultimatley gone unanswered! To make sure nothings changed with the CD-RW i burned i switched my mod to bank 2 and the Cromwell screen loads and can read the boot disk fine but says their is no bios(duh cause there isnt). What i don't understand is how can the Cromwell bios screen read my cd while the Xecuter2 loading screen on bank 1 cannot!!! Please please please help me if you have had this same problem and have found the answer. Thanks!

V1.0 Xbox
    X-ecuter 2.3B lite
    X2_4983.67_256k Bios loaded
    Thompson DVD drive :-(

2. liquid51

liquid51 Regular member

did you burn it as an image?
    Grab your evoxdash.xbe and evox.ini and make an iso. That iso is a disc image, necessary for the xbox to recognize the disc.
    In your burning app, select "burn image".
    That should do it. If you still have problems, stick a large dummy file in the iso.

3. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

Yes i burned it as an image. I followed all the exact direction that everyone in the forums has given. I used nero with all the correct settings, burned it as an image at the slowest speed (2x), renamed the evoxdash.xbe to default.xbe, made it an iso using Xiso and i also included a dummy file. Same thing everytime, my xbox can't read the disc. I have followed all the correct instruction that i have found. Please someone help me! Thanks Liquid for the response.

4. liquid51

liquid51 Regular member

are you using cdrw or dvdr? When modding my friend's box we had the exact same issue. So he decided to waste a dvd (he was avoiding it if possible) and it read it no problem, first try. Do you have/use a dvd burner?

5. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

Yeah im useing Memorex 4x CD-RW right now and after the bios, my xbox no longer seems to want to read them. No i don't have a DVD burner but my friend does. Should i use a DVD-R or a DVD-RW? THanks

6. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

hmmm.. weird.. i know certain dvd drives in xbox's read different formats, but i thought all read the cd-rw's... and the fact it read the first time is weirder...

just a quick basic ? for ya..
    you are making an xbox image file of evoluiton x, not just burning straight to disc... cuz it wont' read it unless you do..

what programs you using, what version of evoluiton x, tried other types of cd-rws? or perhaps even a cd-r?
    peace
    seamonkey420

7. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

Yes, im using xiso to convert all the neccessary files into an image file that the xbox can read. I've tried practically every version of the Evolution x dashboard including Slayers Auto Installer and it still wont read! I am certain i am burning them correctly because ive spent hours upon hours reading over and quadruple checking my process. I am using nero to burn and i all the settings i believe are correct. The only thing i havent tried is burning a DVD-RW and if that doesnt work im afraid theres nothing else! Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming and hopefully we can find an answer to this problem so no one else will have to go through this.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

hmm....

have you tried to do a full erase on the cd-rw and then burn evolution x to it?

i know i had issues with cd-rw's that i would use over and over and just do a quick erase on them..

peace
    seamonkey420

9. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

Yes, i do a full erase each time before i burn a new copy of the Evolution x Dashboard.

10. stjowa

stjowa Guest

I'm just curious, do you know what kind of DVD-Rom Drive you have in your Xbox (e.g. Thompson, Phillips, or Samsung)?

With the Thompson and Phillips drives it can sometimes be sensitive to some media. I know it seems like it would work with the Evox since it worked with the bios, but sometimes it's more picky trying to run different data (Especially applications using an xiso image).

If you have the Samsung drive then it DEFINITELY should work, Hands Down!

You can check what kind of drive you have by following this link:
    http://www.system-mods.com/cgi-bin/pd/kb.cgi?view=43&lang=en

Another thing to try is that it can take SEVERAL (I mean 20-30 times) times of just opening and closing the Xbox CD Tray over and over again for the DVD to finally read it. Believe me it takes a lot of patience. And remember the bigger the dummy file, the easier for the DVD Rom tray to read it.

But anyway that's all I got. If none of this works, go burn a DVD-R on your friends DVD Burner. That should definitely take care of it.

11. ShamBk

ShamBk Member

How's this for my first post? Evoxdash.xbe needs to be renamed default.xbe :) Hope this helps!

12. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

shambk

good call! :)

any further ?s, i got a site about modding, it needs to be updated but the concepts are teh same..

peace

13. Kamran

Kamran Regular member

I can promise you burnit to a RIetk dvd at the slowest and will be read by your xbox I promise! I Have 10 different brands of cdrw's and from that my xbox only reads the tdk ones. However I have all sorts of brands of dvd r and it reads them without a flaw even the crap brands. so just to be on the safe side get a good brand blank dvd and burnn it to that.

14. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

Thanks alot everyone for you replies, you don't know how much i appreciate it. Stjowa, I'm gonna try to burn it again with my CD-RW and open and close it 30 times and see if that works since the longest i have done was like 8-10 times. If that doesnt work ill do what Kamran and Stjowa said and burn it to a DVDR since that seems to take care of all the problems. THanks alot guys and ill get back to you once ive tried both of these suggestions to let you know how it went. Thanks again!

15. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

Ok i just reburned it with xiso, 630mb dummy file and put it in the xbox. I opened the tray 30 times and each time it couldnt read it......darn! Looks like im gonna have to go with the last resort of making a DVD-R boot disk. I really really hope this works.

16. ShamBk

ShamBk Member

Trust me, Evoxdash.xbe needs to be renamed default.xbe Just reburn it to another dvd-r and it'll work. I did it 2 nights ago!

17. stjowa

stjowa Guest

That's a good suggestion ShamBk, but he already did that earlier in the forum, and it still didn't work. So, I guess it's just the CD Media.

18. aot2002

aot2002 Member

i had the same issue again and again i got so mad at trying to figure out why the heck my xbox wouldnt read cd-rw's or dvd-r's ?
    even making iso's

so then i found a site a few days after my furios agravation kicked in and it works like a charm now.
    i use a program called qwik 1.01 to make the bootable iso's for xbox and no issues now !

everytime i make a cdrw or dvd-r it works great.
    also make sure the cdrw is fully erased as a quick format seems to not work !
    good luck

19. OE40Data

OE40Data Member

Jay did you buy the qwik program or did you download it? Also is it a burn program or and iso maker? Thanks

20. aot2002

aot2002 Member