1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBOX360, but which one?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by tee99, Nov 30, 2007.

1. tee99

tee99 Regular member

folks,

just about to dip my toe in to the world of the Xbox 360, having been a ps2 fan for a while now.
    essentially, any advice would be welcome as to which version to get...

is the 120Gb hard drive with the Elite really necessary - i.e. how much space is required for games such as need for speed / c&c etc.?

or, would it be worth spending the money on a ps3?

cheers

2. tyler1993

tyler1993 Regular member

it is all personal preference. for me, i have a premium with a 20GB harddrive and have had it for the past year. i play it monthly, have a decent number of games, and have had no space issues. if you download a lot, plan to use the HD for mp3 or videos, etc...then you'll want the bigger HD. it wasn't necessary for me. one thing i would make sure to get is the Xbox 360s with the HDMI output. running it through a solid receiver will give you full 1080p output, especially if you have (or plan to get) the HD-DVD add-on.

3. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

I got a Ps3 and just got a 360 mainly for over the next month or two, id get a ps3 if you wanted to play alot of BIG games next year that are coming out 2008 is going to be a 'boom' year for PS3, but right now 360 has a better games libary than ps3 so its really your choice but Ps3 has alot of big releases in 2008, just giving you opinion of a person that owns both systems.

4. Shazam1

Shazam1 Member

Well something to keep in mind too, that currently there is no way you can copy your PS3 originals, whereas you can with 360. Even if you could with PS3, the Blu-Ray disk prices are so expensive and wouldn't make much sense to copy your original.

5. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

i can see what you mean shazam1
    Yeah thats a good thing, its been debated on the ps3 forum the ps3 scene isnt bombared with backups, flashing, chips, firmware questions, if you look now you'll notice a difference too. Also many people wouldnt want to chip or flash their ps3 due to the not wanting to ruin it for the price they paid and dont want to be banned from Psn like what happens on Xbl.
    Also by the time -if it does or ever will get hacked blu ray prices will be low and an iso loader will be created rather than disc boot up, due to way the ps3 is built.
    So the best option is to get offline games for a 360 if you can get one cheap and online games for ps3 which is what im doing. Do some searches and think what games you wanna play now and next year than make your decision.

6. John1800

John1800 Member

I was in the same situation you were in, but I bought a Pro. The Elite was $100 difference, but ended up being only a $50 difference after I had to buy my HDMI cable (Elite comes with one). However, the Elite did not have the Falcon motherboard and I valued that over the $50 extra for the extra 100 gigs and black case (which would have gone great with my black panasonic hdtv) I would be receiving. COD4 only takes up about a 1/2 gig of space on my hdd. So, you should be able to have quite a few game saves on your hdd. Future games will probably use more hdd space, but if you keep your music on your mp3 player and your movies on dvd (like me) you can still play them on the 360 by inserting or plugging them in.

FYI to get the cooler Falcon motherboard look for Pro boxes labeled 175W on the barcode sticker instead of 203W.

7. StanLane

StanLane Guest

John, I would buy a Samsung Kreon drive to copy your originals and then you can play your copies on XBL. Me and a lot of people I know do this and it works fine, but you never know, next time I log into XBL could be my last. But I think making the backups with the Samsung is the best and safest way by far.

8. tee99

tee99 Regular member

thanks for the feedback, gents.

tempted with the 360 Elite, since i reckon that games will only get bigger, and for the sake of an extra 100 bucks, may as well get the extra drive space + hdmi cable.

shame, cause would have liked to have stuck with the Playstation Range, but strikes me that the ps3 is simply too costly and not as many games out right now...

cheers once again.

9. lancerx

lancerx Guest

I need to buy a 360 cos i got the RROD, wich one comes with the falcon board or wich ones will not give the RROD, any suggestions?

thanks