1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XCopy Xpress DVD backup works on Win2000 not on Win XP Pro!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by marctleo, Jan 8, 2004.

1. marctleo

marctleo Member

Hello All,

I've got a P4 2.4Ghz, 1GB DDR Ram, running XP Pro. I've got DVD XCopy Gold for Xmas. I tried making backup's of some of my movies, but after going through the entire READING, WRITING & FINALIZING process, the copies wouldn't play ANYWHERE. I deleted and/or disable any programs from the LIST that might interfere.
    So far I've gotten 8 nice coasters for my desktop area; but no DVD Movie backups.

I decided to install the SAME copy of XCopy Gold onto my old P3 700Mhz, 384MB Ram, running Windows 2000. Strangely enough, I am able to make PERFECT copies of DVD's EVERY time.

What is going on with my P4???

HELP!!!

2. jeditig

jeditig Member

I have XP Pro and DVD Express will not work, I cant even get through the read or then even the write process.

3. betuavet

betuavet Guest

take your xcopy software disc, and chunk it in the trashcan. Download dvdshrink(its free). Do a search on this forum for the dvdshrink tutorial. Its easy. Then after dvdshrink decrypts, you need to burn to disc. I use recordnow dx. It came with my dvd writer. There is also a recordnow tutorial on this forum.

4. rainier

rainier Guest

windows xp pro and Dvd Xcopy Xpress (v2.5.1) works flawlessly on my system. Actually, it's Dvd shrink that does not work on my computer. shrink 3 beta never shrinks enough to fit one dvd-r. Anyways, make sure you uninstall any packet-writing software like Ahead's Incd. You might try installing xpress again over your existing installation. Or try downloading a different version from 321 studios website.

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi guys, Windows Xp is supposed to be missing the ASPI layer. I thought X copy software had its own, but you may need to download it. Just a guess.
    Jerry

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Have you taken a look at your log files? 321 products make a log entry of each burn attempt and will give some indication of what happened. FYI
    C:\program files\321 studios\xpress\log

7. drchips

drchips Active member

Can anyone see a pattern forming here?

marctleo has problems with XCopy and XP, but OK on Win2000.
    jeditig has problems with DVD Express and XP.
    betuavet uses DVDShrink (happily I assume).
    rainier is happy with Xcopy and XP, but has problems with Shrink.

It seems that programs that work on ONE XP do not work on ANOTHER!!!

Maybe XP is FLAKEY????

I had always suspected it might be (too many fancy tellytubbies style thingys, too many fancy/frilly bits, too much cr*p in general).

That is why I STILL use Windows 2000 - stable, reliable, controllable etc. etc.

I admit you need to know a little more about your system to control it properly.

Just my observation..

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hey Drchips, Your insite to Win Xp is why I'm still running ME. I had it installed when it 1st came out. Ran into so many problems with software compatability I took it back off and went back to Me. I haven't had half the problems listed on this forum. Just My opinion. By the way, I enjoy reading your detailed answers to the more complex problems. I learn a lot from them. Keep up the good work.
    Jerry

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

GENTLEMEN,

Let's slow down here a bit. Too many incorrect statements and wrong conclusions are flying around (Cluttering up the air) I’ll see if I can do my “Air cleaning thing”
    (Taking a breath and gettin' myself ready ;-))

marctleo, jeditig and rainier,

Gentlemen, DVD XCopy and XCopy Xpress work just fine on XP OS both Pro and Home (the only difference between the 2 XP OS is the Network stuff.). I have DVD Xcopy, Xpress as well as (my favorite) DVDShrink 3.0Beta 5 AND a few more –

Soooooo,
    How good is DVDShrink ??? I'll tell you - in the re-author mode I shrink 2 DVD movies from 5.9GB and 7.1GB and compress them so that with the help of DVD2One they BOTH fit on a single DVD - so that I don't have to get up and change DVD's in the middle of the evening - and people talk about being lazy - Hah !
    Installed properly, my friend DVDShrink will get along with almost everyone. 321's products, on the other hand, are very touchy about who is playing in the schoolyard with them -

Let's try to fix stuff, Okie, Dokie ?? :p

1. marctleo, Start using RW media until you get a good burn my friend, stop making coasters. I know you mean well but the coaster shortage is over and you can rest now and not make anymore ;-) For everyone else – ALWAYS use the Name Brand Media, el”Cheapo” will cost you dearly in the long run ;-)
    2. Listen to Jerry, get an ASPI driver - here is a link - http://download.com.com/3000-2098-10161912.html.

3. Those with Roxio, please delete it. Thank you.

4. XP systems more than any other OS have a Ton “O” Stuff running in the background, go to msconfig and turn off everything until by trial and error you are able to determine what you can run and what you cannot.

5. Nero’s “In CD”, HP DLA: DLA stands for Disk Letter Assignment and interferes with DVD XCopy as does Interactual Player and PC Friendly Player. McAfee & Norton Anti-Virus: These anti-virus software that when running, can cause errors and an Instant Messenger of any type signed on may interfere with XCopy’s operations.

6. When running Xcopy products and burners such as Nero your system requires all of its resources. Just having your clipboards full may result in errors like “CDvd::Read Failed” or the inability of your DVD player to find your newly burnt DVD. Rebooting your system, to allow it to start out with a “Clean slate” so-to-speak may allow your programs to operate and your DVD to be recognized.

7. When deleting those mentioned programs also delete your Xcopy products, reboot your system and then reload your Xcopy programs.

LASTLY –

8. Using programs like DVD Xcopy and Nero require maximum resources at times so PLEASE – keep all fingers and toes away from Mr. Puter when you have asked him to do a job. Even with a system such as mine, go enjoy a beer or a cup of tea but leave Mr. Puter alone to do his job. It only takes the wrong second, when your program needs maximum resources during an encoding or when writing to a disc and you are loading an Internet page to cost you a coaster. Like Mommy taught you, when cooking, keep your fingers away from the “heat”.

Man am I tired, -

I hope you’ll appreciate my input,
    I’m trying to help all of you to a trouble free burning experience.

Good luck all,

Pete