1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xenium Spice Evox/other dashboard bios QUESTION ? Read me DATALIFE

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by jfish3000, Apr 8, 2005.

1. jfish3000

jfish3000 Member

I want to make sure I do this right the 1st time. Installed xenium spice and a 200gb maxtor harddrive. Everything I've read talks about using the evox bios and dasboard, I don't want to use evox as my dashboard, I want to use xbox media center by project mayhem. Do I have to use evox bios and dashboard initially and then install a different dashboard if desired? Also is there anything special I need to do for the hard drive or will the bios take care of it?

thanks everyone, jfish

2. Datalife

Datalife Regular member

Did the installation go smoothly with no problem on Xenium Spice?You can use any dashboard you like,Evox/Avalaunch etc...Xbox media center is not realy a dashboard.It's like a stereo where you can play your music files.No you don't have to install evox dash first.You can install any dash right away.Make sure back up your original bios first.I don't know what version of xbox you have but I think EvoxM8_16LBA(this is totally different from evox dash) bios will work on all versions so d/load this EvoxM8_16LBA bios(since this is the one I used) to flash your bios to recognized hard drives over 130 gigs and u can flashed your bios from the xenium menu itself and also use the xenium menu for the hard drives upgrade.

3. jfish3000

jfish3000 Member

First off thanks for responding, I saw some other posts you had and you seemed to know what your talking about. With the installation, after 4 hours of tutorials and modding (again wanting to get it right the 1st time), I came to the problem where when I put the xenium chip on the only light that was showing was the 2nd led in (the one thats supposed to be off when everything is correct). After some tweaking I got all the right led's on (with the 2nd one in being off), but the chip was glowing red instead of other colors, it was powering itself on/off 3 times or so, and the eject button was flashing red and green. After reading a troubleshoooting guide, I found the FRAG was either a bad install or a bad chip. I'm tending to think something may be wrong with my chip because I got it power up blue and green (correctly) one time by chance and then never again. Give your initial thoughts on this problem then I want to ask you a couple about software.
    thanks man, jfish

4. Datalife

Datalife Regular member

Try to reseat all the wires again.Use a magnifying glass.It's a big help.Make sure the wires are inserted in the midle of the hole(i know it's hard to tell but it helps).(Hint: Gently bend the wire down and across)You might feel a very slight click if they r inserted correctly but don't push too hard or u might break the wire.

5. jfish3000

jfish3000 Member

I know the wires are all in or else they wouldn't be lighting up right and they are. The only thing not lighting up correctly is the xenium chip and the eject button flashes red/green. I have v1.6, I found evoxM8_16LBA @ eurasia.com. So install new harddrive, flash bios with evoxM8_16LBA, install ExoX dashboard then I can use XBMC if I want?? Does this sound correct?

I'm going to contact xbox-modchips about my chip problem, maybe its a dud

6. Datalife

Datalife Regular member

Flash the bios first.If you want, you can backup your old hard drive to your new one so you don't have to worry about missing files then install whatever you want on the new hard drive.

7. k9coates

k9coates Member

how do you back up your old harddrive onto your new one?
    What exactly is a bio? I though I understood, but now I've gotten confused.
    Thanks

8. Datalife

Datalife Regular member

U must have a modified XB first before u can use any program that will copy u're drive.Once u modified u're XB, u will need to flash the XB bios with whatever brand of chip u used to mod your XB so u can run different kind of Dashboards besides the original MSdash(which u can not use)to play back ups.

[image]http://img149.echo.cx/img149/791/felixanm7od.gif[/image]