1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XKey For PS3 - PS3 Blu Ray ODD Emulator In The Works

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by marcusita, Oct 10, 2012.

1. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

2. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

The only sucky thing about this: To dump the drive key you need to be on cfw 3.55.

3. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

At the moment, but perhaps that will change.
    The only thing i don't like about it is, that it does not enable Homebrew, just backups/piracy.

4. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

Yea, same here, I actually got my PS3 for originals and am thinking to go fully legal on my 360 too.

5. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

heh reading that ps3hax site omg... i was laughing at the people who said that this is a dongle lol... some people..... so much paranoia.... hell some even think that this comes from ps3key(older dongle for 3.41-3.55) lol a simple search on google for ODD/ODDE would suffice but noooo.. lol god some people can be so stupid... anyway yeah i can understand the 3.55 requirement with a proper peek poke and proper syscalls you can dump the EID keys(EID0-5).. for this one you need EID4... what bothers me is the controller... newer models have the controller on the board older have it on the drive... so what will they do for slim?.. the unit will know its not the original drive... and sony can update the drive firm if they wanted... microsoft does.... and once you get EID4 key going from 3.55 to 4.25 will block you from getting the keys if sony decides to change them... but the pics they show is used in a fat ps3... they have the controller on the drive... slim ps3 control the drive while fat dont... i wonder how they going to figure that out... as far as i know all xbox360 drives have controller built in... so i guess im thinking too much lol.... :3

btw some food for thought... using the EID4 key you can decrypt the firm running on the drive.. this gives a possibility to play BD-R backups just as a real dex does.. once set to 0xffffffff state.... so this is a good thing.. i think someone will find a way of dumping the firm from the xkey and write it back to the original drive... imagine a converted dex with a drive that doesn't care about backups ^__^

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  6. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

no idea what all that means lol, all i know is have an xk3y on my xbox and i love it, and i have a slim ps3 on 3.55 cfw so when this gets released and working on a slim I will be getting one for sure

7. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

A dex PS3 is a PS3 in developer mode, as far as I understood this. He means that there could be a possible drive flash reverse engineered out of this, which means backups on Blu-Ray discs.

8. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

correction... DEX is a debug ps3... TOOL/DECR/reference is a developer ps3(if you can call it a ps3 lol) shame no one try to hack the drive firm of the ps3 :( i guess due to non conventional cables that they use.. if they used a simple sata i would have been done by now :3

for anyone who wants to know more check this page

http://www.ps3devwiki.com/wiki/Bluray_Drive#Spansion_S99-50111-001_.28NOR.29

^__^

9. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

the xk3y is simply for piracy purpose (not that i am in to that ;)) its nice to grab an iso shot it on the hdd and away you go, no patching or anything, also having a 3dtv there should be no reason why 3d bluray iso's wouldnt play straight from hdd, the xk3y on xbox is simple as the xbox supports ntfs formatted drives so i am not sure how they will get around the fat 32 problem, if its not as simple as drag and drop then it will probably have to be done thru splitting files and such not making it nice and easy, time will tell, its good news for me anyhoo ;)

10. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

im thinking more of the device itself.... if it reads ntfs it doesnt matter if the ps3 does or not lol.... if the device itself can read ntfs... it just mounts the iso and then just transports commands and the ps3 just picks it up... i guess it would work that way... but then again on dex the bdemu can read hdd formatted with ps3gen and that format can hold up to 50gb per image... whats more annoying is the 3key i using the same set up as the normal drive(60 pins) i guess it will also use the same IC/nor chip... but then again im thinking too much... there's also that app they will probably release to dump keys.. what makes it interesting.. to me at least.... it will probably dump the firm as well and could lead to some good stuff... all drives use the same bga memory chip anyway lol... :3

11. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

They might be dumb, they might be stupid, they might be idiots, but they are my idiots and a forum is all about discussion and that's what they were doing, the were discussing the device before all the info came out, all they originally had to go on was about 10 words, so go easy on them.....

12. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

yeah i guess... im a member there myself lol =_=

13. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

So am i, my name there is GregoryRasputin :)

14. tongs007

tongs007 Active member

one thing that i read was they claim you can rip your original games to the hdd via the 3k3y, They said that about the xk3y and you cant do it

15. biglo30

biglo30 Regular member

I think nobody bothered to try this because of the price of a bluray burner and discs. Was just too costly for the cheap pirates lol compared to a dvd writers and blanks.

16. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

yeah you make a good point there... today BDR burner is cheaper than it was few years back.. pioneer burners are pretty cheap compared to others(around the 100$ mark) plus not all games have the size of BDR lol... some games come in less than 5gb and some come in over 40gb... considering the ps3 it wont read ps3 games off DVDR... that makes some people think....

yeah i thought as much... with the sig you got here almost the same you got there lol... plus i did see one post you made that you were a member here ^__^ btw i did see update 3 about the iso thing... multiman also makes iso out of games isn't that same as if you were using "dd if=/dev/cdrom of=game.iso" ?

17. DavGerm4

DavGerm4 Active member

I am actually surprised on how low they have dropped in price. I mean I remember when they were $10 a pop for one disc, now you can get a 25 pack for less then $25.

This looks exciting, but I just sold my old PS3, and upgraded to the Superslim one, and it had 4.21 installed, but oh well, I mostly use the PS3 for Blu-Ray, and occasional gaming single player games (like Dishonored...).