1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

xp install help

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by voyagerxp, Feb 15, 2007.

1. voyagerxp

voyagerxp Member

I have a mesh laptop with no os at the moment but i want to put xp on it but have some probs i was hoping someone could help me with. Well for a start the dvd drive won't pick up at startup so i can't boot xp from startup. I brought another dvd drive off ebay thinking it was faulty but still does not pick up. So i put the laptop drive int a caddy and connected it to my desktop pc and partitioned the drive into 2, I then put xp on the second partition not installed but can anyone tell me if i could make a floppy to boot xp of the laptop hd. Also becuse the laptop is 5 years old it won't let me boot off a usb dvd drive or usb stick at startup.

2. 56delray

56delray Regular member

Try here

www.microsoft.com/downloads/Search

Setup Disks for Floppy Boot Install

3. voyagerxp

voyagerxp Member

I've tried that but after using the 6 floppy disks it still wants a cd in the drive.

4. whompus

whompus Active member

If you made the partition fat instead of ntfs make a normal dos boot disk. When you boot from it go into the i386 folder where you put the copy at and run winnt. Thats the 16 bit installer. If you made it ntfs then you will need to research on how to use ntfs4dos to get access to where you put it.

5. voyagerxp

voyagerxp Member

I'll try that but this laptop is stupid. When the laptop first starts it picks up the hard drive as primiry but the laptop says the secondry is disabled. In the bios there is no option to let me enable it. I have set boot to cd first but still won't boot from cd only floppy. It used to boot from cd but not anymore so i thought it was the controller that had gone but if i put the hard drive into a caddy and connect it to my pc and put win 98 on the second partition and put the hd back in the laptop and boot from floppy and install win 98. when its installed the cd drive is working fine.