1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP not burning DVD

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by chthomson, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

fiveforty,

Do me a favor and remove the 1A23-xxx serial number from your Nero logs before you post them. It's a huge pain to remove them a gigantic post like your last one :)

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

ouch.....baabaa's eyes are a hurting......

I have to be honest it just looks like Nero does not like your configuration.

What options are you selecting to burn with?

3. fiveforty

fiveforty Guest

Sorry for the long LOG and serial stuff! didn't realise.

If I use DVDshrink to rip and burn, I use the standard setup for Nero. If I use Nero to burn the vob files I select DVD Video, then leave all the settings as default.

I've tried setting the drive to PIO mode. This seems to work now.

4. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi fiveforty
    I have been following your posts and wondering how it can be resolved. Your last post mentioning that it burns in Pio mode could indicate a IDE controller conflict. I ran into a similar problem with my niece's computer after doing some upgrades to her machine. It was again resolved by changing the VIA chipset IDE driver.
    Updating/changing the IDE driver may fix your problem. This driver should be on the mainboard install disk. If not it can be found here http://download.sis.com/download_st...e=2&category=12&subcategory=122&os=4&x=18&y=7
    I would proceed with caution. Make sure you are backed up and create a restore point to enable a rollback to any changes. I did my experimentation after a fresh install of XP.
    I made the following observation with my niece's machine. It had no problems burning until I updated the VIA 4in1 drivers and installed Record Now. At that point Record Now gave a SCSI error code. The same error code I had with my PIII machine. I had problems burning DVDs. Her problem was burning CDs. I had to use the miniport drivers version MPD3014 to resolve the burning error codes.

I don't really know if this will fix your burning problem being an SiS chipset and my problems were with VIA chipsets. Sometimes one needs to experiment to find a solution
    I hope this helps
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

If at first you don't succeed ...........![/small]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2004
  5. williamb

williamb Member

I am having the exact same problem as you! Nothing will burn a dvd, but it can read dvds and cds and write cds! I dont know much about computers so I dont know if I have SiS or VIA. And how do you change it to PIO?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2004
  6. jarksin

jarksin Member

Yes i have the same issue since my windows xp was installed for like 6-8 months and i needed a fresh version so i tried the sp1 and sp2 xps and thats when my burner fails on 95% of my burns. I used nero/recordnow/clonecd/dvd decryptor/alochal 120% and bunch of others it fails on nero with finalizing and in dvd decryptor it goes to 0% and then says complete which it should go up in % not just 0% to finish.made over 75 coasters trying to get this working my xp old cd is to scratched to reinstall it so im stuck with all this sp1 and sp2 junk. i read on google alot of people having this issue with sp1 and sp2 is even worse i read. im on winxp sp1 right now 512ram 160 gig sata seagate 1.8 ghz. just tried last time with nero says cant perform disc at once and after that says unable to recover toc. happens with toc on all. tried a dvd+rw and worked fine but this media works fine with the drive in my friends pc.

7. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi williamb and jarksin

There are may reasons why DVD burners have problems burning.
    APSI - see the guide http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/aspisetup.cfm
    DMA - see the guide http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7625
    Burner firmware
    Media - see the guide http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
    Hardware
    Software
    The list can go on
    Once all the basics are covered, then it is time to start a deeper look into the problem.
    It takes a whole lot of searching and observation to resolve the deeper problems
    Since my initial DVD burning issue in August, I have sinced learned that VIA has problems with certain chipsets combos with Windows XP and the miniport drivers.
    There are a lot of forum members with lots of different experiences who could help if you could supply some more information about the computers being used, the burner and the media

I hope this helps

8. williamb

williamb Member

9. jarksin

jarksin Member

oops i forgot most important things media and burner =) Media is ridata R03 there like ridata drd-474-rbcb or something to that effect disc ids shows ritek r03-02 or r03. burner is pioneer a06 and its fully upgraded. i did what williamb did and tried burning on pui mode omg it took 55 mins to burn it and it burned perfect. I a pretty sure its the new updates that i installed and ones that came with this sucker. it must be some update ms made that effects the communcation between the burner and the pc or drives somehow i never had to deal with this dma and pui or whatever in the 14 years i been using a pc. the drive burns all fine in my windows xp thats got no updates at all i had to listen to people that kept nagging me to update my os or i will be sorry so i did. just wish my winxp recovery cd works on my custom built pc i made. i seen patches from ms that supposed to fix the burning in nero for sp2 or sp1 i tried that but didnt do nothing and searched google nonstop and reinstalling from scratch over and over isnt solving it i upgrading to every aspi drivers i found and updated all my drivers for my pc. btw sorry for the messy msg got the flu and waiting on this attempt at another burn with dma back on but wanted to fit in this msg before i goto bed here in a few mins. if there is any other info you need let me know i am type of a person that will do the google hunting for weeks and if all fails i signed up here since people seem to be nice and helpful and i seen this guy here saying same stuff i am having problems with but i tried many other fixes or stuff i read to do and nothing so far worked besides making the ide to pui mode and that worked but it chugs my system to a crawl and takes almost hour per dvd. thanks

Jarksin

10. jarksin

jarksin Member

oh btw williamb i did update ide first one above ide primary and i rebooted now my adv tab is gone! its wierd now im lost as ever =(

11. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi williamb and jarksin

From the sounds of your posts, I believe you have a motherboard/IDE driver issue.
    VIA has a special IDE tool to set DMA
    Intel has the IntelĀ® Application Accelerator were you set your DMA
    Nvidia chipset drivers are known to have problems
    SiS has IDE drivers

Do you know which motherboard and chipsets you have.

I hope this helps

12. jarksin

jarksin Member

Ya i got dma back but just wanted to note after i switched the adv tab where it should be was now gone hehehe. yes im using nvidia geforce2 card on my pc does that effect burning at all? i got the newest installed i even tried installing like 5 different driver versions when i got this fresh install of os on here. I got a temp fix somehow i converted my 2 drives back to dma but my usb external case that holds my other hd must be set to pui mode still cause it burns slow and buffer cant seem to fill it goes nuts but since it isnt master with os i can do stuff while i burn again. but 55 mins for 4x burning is insane like i said temp fix. just sucks i built this pc a year ago didnt do no new hardware adding since burner and all i did was reinstall windows xp sp2 fresh install since old os was getting laggy and to much spyware was messing with me =) so i took the leap to install windows xp sp2 and thats when it all started then i switched to sp1 and that just made more % of bad burns then sp2. sp2 i had to make the file size to like 4.1 gig size not normal 4.4 or so size i always did but i made coasters then but not as much. just curious what ms did in the updates that could effect my stuff and others like this. i got a epox 4g4a+ mobo and that sucker is a nice board for a 1.8ghz that can be overclocked ok with my extra fan to 2.4 ghz but i stick with 1,8 ghz just in case.

Jarksin

13. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

14. williamb

williamb Member

I have a Gigabyte GA-7VAX mother board and it's K400 chipset. The chipset bus properties bus type is VIA V-link

Last edited: Oct 17, 2004
  15. williamb

williamb Member

I DID IT!! I installed an update to a VIA 4 in 1 thing and it worked! Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it SOO much!

16. Harley_1

Harley_1 Guest

hey peeps, got a big prob with my dvd player. pretty new to players..got myself a benq dvd+rw. DW800A model B2D7.Just installed it an having problems.

Heres the thing. My computer recognises the drive but doesnt refer to it by name. refers to it as atapi dvd+rw 8x4x12. It plays dvd movies an doesnt play dvd rom games or play dvd-rom stuff that you get on eg special edition dvd movies. I cant burn dvd's either. Every time i try to it asks to insert a blank dvd same wi games. I got legit cd's yet it insists I insert a legit cd.

I tried the benq website to download drivers incase I dont have uptodate or anything but cant find the driver or model I need. Tried removing drive from control panel system hoping when i reboot xp would recognise it but instead when I open my computer the drive comes up but its not a cd icon. Comes up with an icon like xp doesnt have the program to open it. I can open the drive an the files are there but still wont work...

Would really appreciate any help folks otherwise i think my puters going out the window

17. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi Harley_1
    The BenQ 800A is an awesome +R burner. I bought mine in August. I was so impressed that I now own 3 BenQ burners. The lastest firmware can be found here http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BENQ_FW.htm

Have you checked the following
    DMA - see the guide http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7625
    Media - see the guide http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

If all this checks ok, then more information about your computer will be needed to help you resolve your problem.

I hope this helps

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  18. Harley_1

Harley_1 Guest

Thanks mate for replyin will give those a try and will let u know what turns up. BTW, does this sound like a comman prblem or could my drive be down

19. Harley_1

Harley_1 Guest

20. Harley_1

Harley_1 Guest

Least I thought it was fixed. Worked the first time after putting on

Looked at the other two links u left but dma was already on as well. Now dvd movies wont play on my system or the dvd rom games...

out the windows looking pretty tempting like...
    any more ideas mate?